• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Luke!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Got to check out Lake Michigan this weekend. He's not a fan of water :lol:

PXL_20210703_190233108.jpg

And got to meet my mom's mini Aussie girl, Roxie, who didn't care she was 5 lbs to his 75, she wanted to play!

PXL_20210703_231309607.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hugging is not "for no reason" then :) A lot of dogs hate that. My kids try to hug Luke all the time and he tolerates it if I don't intervene in time, but he is visibly uncomfortable with it. Even though I trust him, I never want him to be in a position where he gets pushed to his limit and snapping is his only way out of a situation. Some dogs have a lower threshold. I'm just lucky he has a higher one so I can give him an out before he reaches it.
Gosh I’d love to send Suzie over to you lol. She would adore being hugged, rolled on, squashed and generally annoyed like little kids do to dogs. She would also love all the treats and spoiling Luke gets!!
As you said before… some dogs are more tolerant of many things than others- my last dog (Devo) would have snarled, snapped and probably attacked anyone but me for even thinking of hugging him, he was a very nervous and untrusting dog so I was really the only one that he trusted with most things.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Gosh I’d love to send Suzie over to you lol. She would adore being hugged, rolled on, squashed and generally annoyed like little kids do to dogs. She would also love all the treats and spoiling Luke gets!!
As you said before… some dogs are more tolerant of many things than others- my last dog (Devo) would have snarled, snapped and probably attacked anyone but me for even thinking of hugging him, he was a very nervous and untrusting dog so I was really the only one that he trusted with most things.
She sounds sooo cute!! Perfect small child dog :heart: Luke lets the kids get away with a lot but he doesn't enjoy it all :lol:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
What a sweetie pie! (My dog isn't a fan of water either...he runs away from the waves on the beach!) :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What a sweetie pie! (My dog isn't a fan of water either...he runs away from the waves on the beach!) :D
Yeah we tried to give him a kiddie pool in the back yard..nope
Sprinklers... DEFINITELY nope....
The lake...will only brave to retrieve a ball, and only if he gets to keep his back feet firmly on land :lol:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Hahaha-my dog will avoid everything to do with water, except sprinklers. He tries to catch the stream of water with his mouth. It's a favourite entertainment on a hot summer's day! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So Luke ended up having a yeast infection, and was very much not a fan of ear drops and the wash. I basically called the vet bawling because I couldn't make him better. Trying to get drops in his ears was really straining our relationship to the point where he was avoiding me for hours at a time and was getting nippy with both Josh and me. :(

Luckily a friend of mine had told me about a long acting ear medication so I was able to get him for that. Double luckily I already have muzzle trained Luke for situations like this. Since the vet was going to muzzle him anyways to administer the meds, I just brought him in ours and he was much more comfortable than he would have been if he suddenly was forced into one without positive conditioning.

So his ear is feeling better and he's a much happier dog :)

Photos!

IMG_20210716_152051_006.jpg IMG_20210707_164741_735.jpg PXL_20210723_041349774.jpg PXL_20210722_141951403.jpg PXL_20210723_225736201.jpg

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Glad he's feeling better! Really a lucky dog. <3

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad Luke is feeling better now.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Me too! Poor dog has been to the vet 3 times since I got him in April!
Better than being uncomfortable full time with an ear infection! FYI You are never ever allowed to refer to Luke as Poor dog… I’ve seen his Instagram account!!! That dog is far from poor even if he’s had to see the puppy dr a few times :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Better than being uncomfortable full time with an ear infection! FYI You are never ever allowed to refer to Luke as Poor dog… I’ve seen his Instagram account!!! That dog is far from poor even if he’s had to see the puppy dr a few times :heart:
He is definitely spoiled :rofl:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I work with dogs and I want to commend you for having done muzzle training just in case! It’s just a tool to help everybody stay safe in certain situations, but so many people are resistant to it for some reason. Glad Luke is on the mend :heart:

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Luke is such a cutie!!! I’m so glad he’s feeling better!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I work with dogs and I want to commend you for having done muzzle training just in case! It’s just a tool to help everybody stay safe in certain situations, but so many people are resistant to it for some reason. Glad Luke is on the mend :heart:
I just think there's such a huge stigma about it! We do some muzzle training whole walking too and I get so many bad looks :lol:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Better to be safe than sorry. People get bit by dogs that never bite all the time. All it takes is for the dog to be having a bad day or get approached wrong by someone.
Birds have triggers and so can dogs. I got attacked by the family dog when I walked in bent over carrying some camping stuff. He didn't recognize me and went on instinct. He scared me so bad I just flung him across the room with my free hand and he picked himself up and came groveling over trying to apologize.
He was a very high strung dog at that point and he got a lot better as he got older and we changed his diet.