• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Lola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels95

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie-Maye
canyouseeme.png Heythatsme!.png LolasBeak(2).png

Meet Lola. :)

Lola is a 5 year old Pacific Parrotlet, sub-species Lucida. She came home to me 5 months ago
from a rescue sanctuary where she'd been dropped off by her previous owners. For her entire
life she'd been left in her cage and poked at by young kids through the bars and the door.
When I went with my Aunty to this sanctuary to meet the birds, and see if I wanted one, she
was definitely not the first bird that caught my eye - although I noticed her early on. After
browsing through the lovebirds and budgies, and even a canary, I went back to this girls cage
and decided to take a better look at her. She seemed so tiny, it was unreal! I couldn't believe
she was a legit parrot. I'd never heard of a parrotlet before, so I went back home to do my
research and learn about proper care, and average attention requirements.

The following weekend Lola was brought home to me as a birthday present. I couldn't be any
happier.

As soon as she came home, we really clicked! She was quiet when I carried her into the house,
and quiet up until my Aunty left - and then she really started getting crazy. Right from the get-
go, I knew she wasn't hand-tame. And I had read that grabbing birds can even further reduce
their acceptance towards hands, so I patiently stood for 15 minutes with her travel cage and
living cage door-to-door, trying to coax her into her own cage. Once she got in, she settled right
down. I read her a few childrens' books to help her settle a bit - and then left the room for a
moment. Within' seconds after me leaving the room she was screaming for me to come back,
and quiet as soon as I came back in. I knew we were going to have a great time together once
the hand-taming started taking place.

Now, looking back on the past 5 months, it's hard to believe this girl wasn't hand-tame for so
long! She's such a sweet girl, so full of love and humor. The only time I get bit now is at her
tired times, which we've established and I have learned to leave her be for those times. So,
for the first hour in the morning, this little girl eats her breakfast and preens and wakes up,
then she comes out and spends the entire day with me. (I have the luxury of being able to do
my studies out of my home) and then an hour before bed time she goes back in for the same
thing she does in the morning. Around 9-9:30 pm my bedroom light goes off and it's officially
her bed time.

I avoid covering her cage because she gets night freights. On a cold night, I use a some-what
thick blanket and cover the back of her cage, especially the corner that's near the window, to
avoid her getting any drafts.

Lola has been such a wonderful addition to my life, and I couldn't possibly ask for anything
better. She's my first and only bird at the moment, and thanks to her - my hearts been opened
on a whole new level for these guys. :heart::heart:

Explorer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
B
I just love Lola's story.. :heart::heart:

She is such a lucky girl to have found you.

I admire you for taking all this time and care with her to make her happy!

You found a friend for life in Lola :hug6:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is beautiful!

Matt

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She looks adorable and so tiny. I looked up p'lets vs. lovies and they're only a little bit smaller. Pretty little girl, you were lucky to find her and have her given to you. :heart::heart::heart: Makes the rest of my crew look like hulking giants. :hehe:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I just read your other thread about Lola & foraging. So glad you & Lola are here on AA. Welcome!!!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
wow, i loved reading that. what a heartwarming story..really! :hug8:

lola is so lucky to have you. :heart: i can't wait to see more photos and hear more stories about you two!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
She's adorable! I'm glad you two found each other!

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Lola is very lucky you found her ! :) You two were ment to be !

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She is adorable, and reading the story, it was obviously meant to be! :)

jsvajda

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jennifer S
I'm so glad that you gave Lola her forever home. :hug8:It sounds as though you 2 were destined to be together. She's a cutie pie!!! Don't you just love a good p'let snuggle? :heart:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Now tell me can you pic your life with out your new love ,how did you ever get

to where you are today with out Lola,,,lol makes you wonder doesnt it , I ask

my self that question all the time , isnt it strange how we change in our ways and thoughts

Hun you have found true love and have earned it by bringing LOla in to your life.

Many happy healthy yrs ahead

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Awww such a lovely story :heart:
Welcome to the Parrotlet-hood :D:dance4:

Jewels95

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie-Maye
Awe, thanks guys! My life really has changed since I've met Lola. I've become more aware of a lot of things, and have even tried to change a lot, too. For example, my eating habits have become much more healthy, since she always wants a bite of my meal. It's hard to keep her away from the plate, so I'd rather her stealing my lettuce or carrots than a piece of chocolate cake, lets say! Also, I smoke - and I've become more sensitive to the smell again. I have two housecoats now, one for when I'm outside smoking, and one for when I'm inside with Lola. Same goes for hoodies.

Not only that, she's taught me a lot about patience, trust, and love. She's a good teacher, my little brat. :heart:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww I really loved reading Lola's story.. :heart: Thank you for taking in a rescue bird and for providing her with a wonderful, loving home.. I adopted my Mikey from a animal shelter as well.. I'm sure Lola will flourish under your care.. :heart: I really love happy endings.. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What a wonderful story, Julie! Lola sounds delightful. You sure knew how to earn her trust. :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.