• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Java the Mitred

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
Where is he?

Someone is shy...

There he is!

Pretty old man bird!

At least 25 years old...

Open band...

He has done very well his first night home. His parronts love him very much, but dont want to stress him with 70 mile drive every 6 weeks to get his beak trimmed. He had a stroke, and is a bit wobbly. He went to the vet Friday, and is very healthy for such an old man bird. He took a few seeds from our hands, and is very comfortable around us so far.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I know the cage is dirty, but we didnt want to freak him out by removing him tonight. We will do it tomorrow...

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
aww look at the a old guy! Has he been with the same owners for 25 years?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
As far as I know only 2 owners. The original owner died, and the family didnt want him so they gave him to her, the family friend. These people have had him 4 to 5 years. He is in love with his mirror and they said thats the only toy he has ever liked. He went to the vet recently, but I am still worried because he is underweight. I hope he will eat some foods besides seed to fatten him up. We are going to see if he likes eggs. They said he likes corn, apple and oranges. I will also try peanut butter, and some sweet potato. He is also wobbly from his stroke. He spent 18 days at the vet 4 years ago from it. They did so much for him:) I hope he enjoys his retirement with us:heart:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe look at Java...he is a very handsome fellow. I can't wait to hear more about him...pst...tell him Little Max says hi!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I will tell him:) We must have a heart to heart in the next hour as I need to clean his cage. He does not appreciate being handled, and I dont want to stress him, but there is no way around it unfortunately. He is used to being toweled, but I hope he doesnt think he is going to the vet. But he is a smart fellow it seems, and watches everything. If we take it sweet and slow, I think he will realize we are friends. I dont think we will ever get to hold him, but I am happy as long as he is happy. Also, his cage is a bit small, for his safety. The lady didnt want him to fall from a high cage. I have another cage, not much higher, but the floor is bigger. In his present cage, when he turns around, his tail gets in the way, and he is wobbly, and he has a hard time. Im thinking of using the other cage with all the branches near the bottom. Any thoughts? I have experience with a tiny budgie who had a stroke, and we made a simillar cage arrangement, and it worked great. but Java is much bigger, and older, and different. We just want to make his life as easy as possible. I will take more pics soon, maybe even a video:) Thank you all for your nice comments!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
what a pretty boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.