• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet JaKhu

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
JaKhu is pronounced "Jaw Kuuuu".

I got her in August after JaJaBinks passed away. The house was just too empty without a macaw. She was hatched April 10, 2020. She was 4 months & 11 days old when I got her. Just weaned. At the parrot store they had her on a play tree when we arrived. They brought her to me & I sat her on my lap. I pulled my mask down to show her my face, told her what her name would be & then I flipped her on her back. She LOVES laying on her back. I can hold her on one hand on her back. They had already clipped her before I called about her. I would not have clipped off all her long flights, but they did. This made her a bit off balance. She was pretty clumsy at first. Since then She's gotten better. She's found her scream voice & is trying to say words. She babbles away when it gets dark. During the day she's pretty quiet. She loves to play with toys & even lays on her back on the cage grate playing with toys. She's molting & has baby tail. She's broken off many of her tail feathers & what's left are a mess. She loves to eat oatmeal off a spoon, but doesn't like her beak washed off. We're working on that. She loves veggies & yeah she gets them all over her beak & face too. She's cracking almonds open, but not walnuts yet. She gets pellets & some seed mix. I've got her following me in the door, but not out yet. I weighed her when we got her & at her vet check appointment a few days later. She was 893 grams the day we got her, 6 days later a the vet she was 903 grams. She's now at 968 grams. She seems a tiny bit smaller, body wise, than JaJaBinks was. She is all day energy, full steam ahead. LOL. On Halloween we moved the parrot tower into the hall several feet from the front door. I wanted her to see the kids & them see her. Many asked about JaJaBinks & one lady was so sad to hear she had passed she grabbed me & hugged me.

As you can see in the photos she loves to rip apart my hibiscus flowers & trees. They have since been cut down to make way for Christmas decorations. I plant new ones ever year. It's getting too cold to take her outside now. She tried to climb into one hibiscus tree & fell thru it, off the porch, and onto the ground. It's only about 2 feet. She made her way back up the steps to the porch. No injury. She falls asleep on my lap at times. Like most young macaws she is nippy. We're working on that too.

IMG_8019 JaKhu August 21, 2020.jpg IMG_8027JaKhu wings up.jpg IMG_8045JaKhu exploring.jpg IMG_8049JaKhu falling off porch.jpg IMG_8069JaKhu sleeping.jpg IMG_8079JaKhu Hibiscus.jpg IMG_8087JaKhu Hibiscus2.jpg

Last edited:

BirdWorld

She's so beautiful :cngrt5::cngrt5:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Omg!! I haven’t even read all your post yet! :congrats5:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yeah, @Toy. It is far too quiet without my Jasper. Congratulations on your baby. May you have many, many years with her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She is beautiful! Congratulations! (And she was hatched on my birthday :) )

Aves

Congrats! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:May you have many happy years together!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! She's lovely.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations! :loveshower:

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
She's gorgeous.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's good to see you have another! Sweet baby.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's precious! She'd make a lovely Miss April for one of our calendars. I can see it now: JaKhu and her hibiscus flowers. 1606173373793.png

Is she perhaps named after a certain desert planet? :)
daedd75e682a383916659e0ddae17fbf.gif

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone.

Forgot to mention she is smart as a whip. She learned step up/down in a few days. She knows... come here, let go, up, move over, watch your feet ( tell her that as she stands on the crock holder when I go to feed, then she steps back on the perch) wings down & she almost has wings up big bird, & she knows what I mean when I ask her if she wants to go play on the parrot tower. She's learned to dance. I'm sure I missed a few. I get a kick out of her going into baby mode when she eats warm foods.

Yes she is named after a Star Wars planet, all tho I changed the spelling. JaJaBinks was named after a Star Wars character too, but I dropped the "r's" in her name.

J= Jewel
a= Atheletic
K=Keen
h= Heavenly
u= Upstanding

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award