• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Indigo and Jade

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I've mentioned my peafowl, Indigo and Jade, before, but I haven't given them a proper introduction. It is time to fix that.

This is Indigo. He is a Indian blue peacock.

20180430_111535.jpg

I got Indigo in 2015. He was roughly three years old at the time, so he is around eight years old now.

And this is Jade. She is an Indian blue peahen.

20180918_093624.jpg

I got her in 2018, along with her four babies. Age unknown - possible around five years but she could be older.

Here are the babies when they are a little older, with Indigo checking them out in the background.

20181118_103329.jpg

Baby peafowl are biege for camouflage. Juveniles look very similar to adult females, with colorful heads and gray bodies. It takes many months for males to achieve their full color and even longer to grow their trains to full size.

20181118_103528.jpg

I never meant the father of these babies, but I suspect he was a spalding - a hybrid cross of blue peacock and green peacock, based on their vibrant color and feather patterning.

20181104_194325.jpg

When they were old enough, I found the babies new homes, because six peafowl is too many, even for me. :D I was so tempted to keep them ... they were all so gorgeous.

My peafowl are "free-range" and have the full run of my property. They spend a lot of their time hanging out with my turkeys and chickens or out foraging in the orchard. And in the springtime, Indigo tries to flirt with everyone.

The chickens just ignore him. But he doesn't give up. Persistence is key.

20200724_192846.jpg .
Peacocks are omnivorous and excellent foragers. They are considered "optimistic feeders" which basically means they will eat whatever is available. In the wild, they eat insects, plants, worms, frogs, lizards, and even snakes!

Peacocks are confident birds, but not usually aggressive toward people. Male peacocks have a sharp spur on their foot and can kick or jump on prey or threats. You don't want to upset a peacock.

Indigo is not hand-tame but he is comfortable around people. I've never had any problems with his behavior. I respect his personal space and he appreciates my tasty offerings. Jade is more reserved and shy. She spends a lot of her time hanging out with our heritage turkeys.

20200622_131035.jpg

Despite the huge tail, Indigo is quite a capable flyer. He sleeps fifty feet up in an old Douglas fir tree each night. Every evening, he jumps up onto the roof of my house, walks across to the corner and flys across to his chosen roost.

Jade prefers to sleep closer to the turkeys in a different fir tree, but she roosts significantly further up than the turkeys.

When we first got the peacocks I kept them in an enclosure to let them settle in and get used to our property. I used a large steel dog kennel with roosts made from 2x4s.

I feed them an exotic gamebird feed, as well as having full access to our chicken's feed and a variety of table scraps and garden products that go to our chickens and other poultry. Once released, they are able to free-forage for bugs, worms, frogs, plants, and whatever else they can find.

20181104_143130.jpg

After the birds were used to being fed and shelter safely, I opened the pen and kept my fingers crossed that they would consider my property a suitable place to stay. Free-range peacocks are pretty notorious for wandering off, never to be seen or heard from again. Or hopping the fence and bothering your neighbors. My birds have been surprisingly good about sticking close to home.

20160530_123314.jpg

I credit my large flock of poultry for providing the peafowl with a sense of safety and comfort. One thing about keeping fully flighted birds in your backyard. You know they must like your property and care, because if their needs were not being met ... they could just leave at any time.

20190825_091758.jpg

This is Indigo sunbathing on a sunny day.

20180513_155535.jpg

Notice the length of his tail feathers. Every year, at the end of the breeding season, he drops his train, losing all of his tail feathers during his annual molt. Over fall and winter, the feathers grow back, longer and fuller. Ready for spring, when he will start to display his glorious feathers. Every year, I gather up the long tail feathers, and display them in vases all over my house.

It takes three years for a peacock to reach sexual maturity. Older peacocks usually have bigger trains ... they can reach as long as six feet!

20180513_155424.jpg

In addition to fanning for all the girls, breeding season also marks the "noisy peacock" season. Both male and female peafowl are capable of a rather impressive scream. And during the breeding season you will hear this scream a LOT and at all hours of the day or night. It has been described as sounding like a woman screaming for help, but I think it sounds like the background jungle sounds in a Tarzan movie.

Here's a short clip (not my peacock):

And one last piece of random peacock trivia. Did you know that peacocks can honk? When they are upset or startled, they honk just like a goose!

20180430_111544.jpg

It shocked me the first time I heard it. I thought they only screamed. Never heard about the honking.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
So gorgeous!!
I never knew green and blue peafowl were different.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Oh my goodness that metallic blue is just gorgeous! Those look like very spoiled fowl! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A very interesting read! Indigo and Jade are lovely! I´d love a pair of peafowl in the future if I can find a house with enough land, I love their calls (I think that´s what you called a scream). Such beautiful creatures.
I was curious of how people get the peafowl to stay. They are popular over here, in theme parks, the chicken park, and peoples home in the country. It makes sense that offering a full life and keeping them happy is the trick to keeping them around, I just thought there could have been more to it.
I did not know they sleep so high up!! 50ft, wow!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your place looks awesome! Your peacocks stay because the grass is greener at your house :swoon: Love the pictures

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
So gorgeous!!
I never knew green and blue peafowl were different.

Yeah, the classic blue peacock is most common. They are also larger and more cold-hardy than green peacocks.

This is a green peacock.

d1ceaeaeaee4a81061bc15f79adb8cca.jpg

Green peacocks are endangered and their wild population is currently decreasing.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
A very interesting read! Indigo and Jade are lovely! I´d love a pair of peafowl in the future if I can find a house with enough land, I love their calls (I think that´s what you called a scream). Such beautiful creatures.
I was curious of how people get the peafowl to stay. They are popular over here, in theme parks, the chicken park, and peoples home in the country. It makes sense that offering a full life and keeping them happy is the trick to keeping them around, I just thought there could have been more to it.
I did not know they sleep so high up!! 50ft, wow!
Yeah, peafowl are somewhat territorial, so they tend to stick around in the same area, roving farther away if they feel threatened or if forage is lacking. By providing them with food, shelter, and safety, they will usually stay. Some neighborhoods end up with wild/feral peacocks that roam around free-foraging. They are usually escaped pets that wandered until finding an area that can support them. In rural areas where I live, it is not thar uncommon for a random peacock or peahen to show up and stay for a while, especially if they are a lone peacock searching for a mate or a peahen looking for a good nesting spot.

Peafowl are not a good choice if you are on a small lot with close neighbors for obvious reasons. You want to make sure that you have enough land to accommodate their foraging requirements. Otherwise, they might end up on your neighbor's land and could get into trouble. Not everyone likes peacocks. Beyond the noise issue, they can also land on cars, scratching the paint. Or do damage to roofs and other stuff while roosting.

I have five acres, which is not a lot of land. Fortunately, my neighbors don't seem to mind too much when they get the occasional visit from one of my free-range birds. The only problem I have had was when my peahen jumped over the fence to search for a nesting spot and was attacked by my neighbor's greyhounds. Thankfully, I heard her frightened honks and, with the help of my neighbor, we were able to rescue her in time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yeah, peafowl are somewhat territorial, so they tend to stick around in the same area, roving farther away if they feel threatened or if forage is lacking. By providing them with food, shelter, and safety, they will usually stay. Some neighborhoods end up with wild/feral peacocks that roam around free-foraging. They are usually escaped pets that wandered until finding an area that can support them. In rural areas where I live, it is not thar uncommon for a random peacock or peahen to show up and stay for a while, especially if they are a lone peacock searching for a mate or a peahen looking for a good nesting spot.

Peafowl are not a good choice if you are on a small lot with close neighbors for obvious reasons. You want to make sure that you have enough land to accommodate their foraging requirements. Otherwise, they might end up on your neighbor's land and could get into trouble. Not everyone likes peacocks. Beyond the noise issue, they can also land on cars, scratching the paint. Or do damage to roofs and other stuff while roosting.

I have five acres, which is not a lot of land. Fortunately, my neighbors don't seem to mind too much when they get the occasional visit from one of my free-range birds. The only problem I have had was when my peahen jumped over the fence to search for a nesting spot and was attacked by my neighbor's greyhounds. Thankfully, I heard her frightened honks and, with the help of my neighbor, we were able to rescue her in time.
I once lived in a street ruled during the day by a couple of peacocks and their gang of pretty ladies, the hens weren’t too bad really but the cocks were right tools at times lol. They were absolute terrorists to anyone who they weren’t familiar with and not really very much nicer to those they did know- I found food made navigating the street much easier.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I might be alone in quite liking peacock screams. When I was a kid staying with family in India, I taught myself how to do a pretty good impression. This was not the crowd-pleaser I thought it might be, haha.

Indigo and Jade are magnificent and clearly very happy! Do they get with each other?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
in the springtime, Indigo tries to flirt with everyone. The chickens just ignore him. But he doesn't give up. Persistence is key.
:coffeescreen::laughing4:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
They're beautiful birds! Thank you for sharing with us!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg so gorgeous! :swoon:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
[said in my best Leonard Nimoy while raising a single eyebrow]

Fascinating.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Your peacock and hen are gorgeous! There are wild pea fowls all around me and its illegal to try to catch them or harm them. I have never seen a male spread his tail feathers - that would be a treat for me! There are a couple pure white albinos, amazing to see.