• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Iago :)

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My husband drove about 30 hours in 3 days to bring home our newest member of the flock. As some of you may know from previous posts, Iago is a three year old boy who was needing a new home. His previous owner told me she was struggling to make time to care for him and also she was very disturbed by his hormonal behavior (humping her hand). She had not told me he was plucking & barbering but she told my husband when he came to retrieve Iago that Iago had started the plucking due to being left in his cage to avoid his hormonal behavior. He was with this owner for only three months, and was previously in a home where he did not get any showers and ate a seed diet.

This is his first day home! He has gently accepted almond slivers from me, my husband and my son (who was being held by me and very carefully offered the treat). He has stepped up and showed minimal aggression. I've put in a basic foraging toy and he's eaten some apple out of it. He has eaten some of his chop. He has been picking at TOPS pellets but doesn't love them - I'm not too worried since fruits & veggies are what he needs anyway. He is VERY curious about our Pionus, who is not so pleased we've brought a big green beast into her nest! She flew on his cage to try to steal apple from him but she was satisfied when I gave her her own piece to eat in her cage :rolleyes: Iago climbed down off his cage to putter around the floor exploring and approached me and stepped up nicely. I showed him his perch in the other room (this photo taken from there) and gave him a little tour. He checked things out and then seemed ready to return to his familiar cage. I've added a large perch to his cage but he's not so sure about that yet. His cage is a bit small and seems rusty in parts so I'm hoping to buy him a bigger and nicer cage when we've saved up some money and he's had a chance to settle in. He'll be seeing our avian vet in a couple weeks for a full check up and bloodwork.

All in all he is a sweet, beautiful boy, and I anticipate he will be very happy as a part of our family :heart:

IMG_1333.jpg

Synth

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
Welcome Iago!!! He’s such a cutie :heart:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So gorgeous :heart:

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
My husband drove about 30 hours in 3 days to bring home our newest member of the flock. As some of you may know from previous posts, Iago is a three year old boy who was needing a new home. His previous owner told me she was struggling to make time to care for him and also she was very disturbed by his hormonal behavior (humping her hand). She had not told me he was plucking & barbering but she told my husband when he came to retrieve Iago that Iago had started the plucking due to being left in his cage to avoid his hormonal behavior. He was with this owner for only three months, and was previously in a home where he did not get any showers and ate a seed diet.

This is his first day home! He has gently accepted almond slivers from me, my husband and my son (who was being held by me and very carefully offered the treat). He has stepped up and showed minimal aggression. I've put in a basic foraging toy and he's eaten some apple out of it. He has eaten some of his chop. He has been picking at TOPS pellets but doesn't love them - I'm not too worried since fruits & veggies are what he needs anyway. He is VERY curious about our Pionus, who is not so pleased we've brought a big green beast into her nest! She flew on his cage to try to steal apple from him but she was satisfied when I gave her her own piece to eat in her cage :rolleyes: Iago climbed down off his cage to putter around the floor exploring and approached me and stepped up nicely. I showed him his perch in the other room (this photo taken from there) and gave him a little tour. He checked things out and then seemed ready to return to his familiar cage. I've added a large perch to his cage but he's not so sure about that yet. His cage is a bit small and seems rusty in parts so I'm hoping to buy him a bigger and nicer cage when we've saved up some money and he's had a chance to settle in. He'll be seeing our avian vet in a couple weeks for a full check up and bloodwork.

All in all he is a sweet, beautiful boy, and I anticipate he will be very happy as a part of our family :heart:

View attachment 444008
Hello Iago!! Welcome! You are very handsome ❤

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Iago continues to settle in wonderfully! He is really an amazingly sweet and gentle bird. He seems to love being out of his cage and hanging out with me/us. He is very tolerant of my toddler son and mostly ignores him (my toddler has grown up with birds and knows to ignore them too!). Iago and my pi Ladybird were out on their separate perches several feet apart enjoying their chop dinners without any fuss.
Iago.jpg

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Awww so pretty! Welcome, Iago!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood