• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Arthur and Agnes

SookiesMum

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone here is my newly adopted pair of Rosa Bourke parrots I’ve called Arthur and Agnes. Approx 12yo.

Agnes has little strength now, wanders around a bit on cage floor and nests a lot. Eats well. Arthur is a bit more sprightly and dotes on his lady like a gentleman should. They don’t perch anymore.

I’ve made a grassy nest in a bowl on the cage floor for them - just to get them off the floor. As per pic.

I’m in Australia and it’s nearing winter. It gets really cold in my house. Agnes wouldn’t have strength to hop in a nesting box. Any suggestions for making a warmer nest in their cage would be really helpful please.

Their cage is as wide as it is tall - they won’t use the top, but it’s roomy enough.

I just want to spoil them and make the comfy. They’re the sweetest, gentlest couple. I love them to bits.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Add some goats hair to the nest?
Also, you could drape a thick fleecy blanket over the back of the cage so it covers the back wall. Or you could wrap it around two sides and pin it.
If the birds cage is in your liing room maybe a heater? You will have to check thoroughly which ones are safe.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How sweet, I love them! :joyful: Thank you for doting on these precious angels.

If the birds cage is in your liing room maybe a heater? You will have to check thoroughly which ones are safe.
Just look for ceramic space heaters to make sure there's no PTFE coatings inside. :tup:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
They are precious. Can you use a heat lamp? I have one for Bella.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bought the K & H heat snuggler but my birds ignord it all winter. Since your birds no .Longer perch it may not work for you. Do our birds like platform perches?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're beautiful. Can you get senior nutriberries where you are? I got them for my senior tiel. They have a lot of good things in them to help older birds.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're a sweet couple! I think everyone has already given the advice I'd give, especially about keeping them out of drafts and partially covering the cage. Good luck with them and I hope you enjoy spoiling them rotten!

SookiesMum

Sitting on the front steps
Sorry sunnysmom I meant to reply. Nutriberries sound interesting. I’ll check it out thanks. So far they’re still on seed which I’ll be weaning them off. I want to settle them slowly. Apparently Agnes frets if she’s nervous and Arthur settles her. So sweet. I’m definitely wanting to add extra nutrients to their diet, esp Agnes - she’s weaker than Arthur