• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Ally!

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
She´s beautiful!
I´m glad you´re letting her wings grow back, I really hate it when people clip their birds wings, shouldn´t be allowed! :extremeanger:
I am not a fan of it either. Every part of a birds anatomy is designed for flight and they need to fly in order to utilize their respiratory system fully. Some rescues insist you clip, luckily the rescue I am getting Ally from really urges you NOT to clip. It was even part of their application, which I was quite happy about. Can't imagine rescuing a bird and having to sign some agreement promising to clip their wings, not sure I would adopt from such a rescue.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
It will be interesting! I hope she tries once her wings are grown in. I've never clipped either of my other two birds wings so they have flown from day one. Do you think Ally will realize when her wings are grown in enough and know to try flying? Do birds know that "hey, I can try to fly now"??
When my parrotlet was first learning to fly when we let her wings grow out due to the breeder having clipped them, we started by teaching her to hop from her cage to our hand or a perch. You start with a very short distance, close enough for them to easily step up, then move apart farther slowly using treats to reward successful jumps. She was pretty young at the time, Ally is much older so I don't know for sure, but even clipped birds seem to naturally use their wings for motion and balance, even when their wings aren't extremely effective due to injury or being clipped. I think she'll probably get the idea.

Just try to be ready for some clumsiness! Our pionus was very clumsy when we first brought her home. She's an expert by now, but she crashed a lot at first and they're pretty startlingly powerful flyers at least compared to what I was used to from the light airy little parrotlets.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It will be interesting! I hope she tries once her wings are grown in. I've never clipped either of my other two birds wings so they have flown from day one. Do you think Ally will realize when her wings are grown in enough and know to try flying? Do birds know that "hey, I can try to fly now"??
Ally will see your other birds fly...and even though they might not be "pals" in the strictest sense, I think there will be a little "Birdie see, Birdie do" that will come into play. ;) In the beginning, you'll definitely see some crashes...and maybe some barrel roll stops...because landing is just as hard as flying for some birds.

Buddy came to us fully clipped...before we adopted her, she was living at a sanctuary that specialized in big cats...they also had a few birds they took in at the bequest of their owners. Well, she was clipped for her own protection...a necessary precaution, sadly.

Anyway, we let her have her wings back (naturally)...she watched the other birds here, and decided that flying might be a good thing. I'll tell you, the first few days were fraught with crashes, flops, and barrel rolls...it was funny to watch her fly, then skid to a stop and roll a couple of times.

She'd roll to a stop, flick her wings back in position, and grumble...always maintaining her dignity....then walk back to her cage...always with dignity, of course. ;)

To this day Buddy will fly...when she feels like it...but, being the Diva she is, us humans are here on Earth to move her to where she wants to go...:yes3:

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
When my parrotlet was first learning to fly when we let her wings grow out due to the breeder having clipped them, we started by teaching her to hop from her cage to our hand or a perch. You start with a very short distance, close enough for them to easily step up, then move apart farther slowly using treats to reward successful jumps. She was pretty young at the time, Ally is much older so I don't know for sure, but even clipped birds seem to naturally use their wings for motion and balance, even when their wings aren't extremely effective due to injury or being clipped. I think she'll probably get the idea.

Just try to be ready for some clumsiness! Our pionus was very clumsy when we first brought her home. She's an expert by now, but she crashed a lot at first and they're pretty startlingly powerful flyers at least compared to what I was used to from the light airy little parrotlets.
Thank you for the insight and advice! :)

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Ally will see your other birds fly...and even though they might not be "pals" in the strictest sense, I think there will be a little "Birdie see, Birdie do" that will come into play. ;) In the beginning, you'll definitely see some crashes...and maybe some barrel roll stops...because landing is just as hard as flying for some birds.

Buddy came to us fully clipped...before we adopted her, she was living at a sanctuary that specialized in big cats...they also had a few birds they took in at the bequest of their owners. Well, she was clipped for her own protection...a necessary precaution, sadly.

Anyway, we let her have her wings back (naturally)...she watched the other birds here, and decided that flying might be a good thing. I'll tell you, the first few days were fraught with crashes, flops, and barrel rolls...it was funny to watch her fly, then skid to a stop and roll a couple of times.

She'd roll to a stop, flick her wings back in position, and grumble...always maintaining her dignity....then walk back to her cage...always with dignity, of course. ;)

To this day Buddy will fly...when she feels like it...but, being the Diva she is, us humans are here on Earth to move her to where she wants to go...:yes3:
Awe! thats a cute story about Buddy! Kiwee and Amigo fly all over the place so Ally will certainly see lots of flying! there will be lots of practice and rough landings I'm sure

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Is Ally from Gingers? Im so glad you connected and found her :loveshower:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Ally is beautiful.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Such a pretty girl!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:congrats5: she is ever so pretty :heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ally is beautiful - I hope you will post some pics after you get that sweetie home! :heart:

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
What a cutie! Congratulations on the addition. Keep us updated on her.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Oh yes.... pionus can fly like a speeding bird bullet. Prepare to keep all windows covered and mirrors as well.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
One week countdown!!! I wish I could get her sooner!
Don't worry, that last week goes really fast. :smuggrin:

No it doesn't. But you can count like this.
5 more days to go, today I will find a good scale for her.
Tomorrow on day 4 I will buy some blu LED night lamps.
On day 3 I will find some flicker free daylights bulbs.
E.t.c.
It sounds stupid but the days goes faster if you fill them with things to do for her.
One day can be toy making, birdiebread baking and chop making the last day.