• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Ally!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Congratulations on your adoption today @DurgaRose :party: I think I saw a photo of you and Ali on Gingers page today -- you two look great!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
OMG she is so beautiful! Did Ginger give you any insight on Ali's favorite toys? food? etc?

I am so excited for your adventure together :starshower: :heart: :starshower:

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
OMG she is so beautiful! Did Ginger give you any insight on Ali's favorite toys? food? etc?

I am so excited for your adventure together :starshower: :heart: :starshower:
I love her SOOOO much!! Yes, Ginger actually gave me some of Ali's food and treats to last for a couple weeks and told me the brands and treats she likes best. I am really happy because she was eating some chop today which I was surprised at because her prior owner did not have her on a very good diet. Not sure about toys. I guess the toys she was surrendered with were really old and were replaced with new ones. Ginger said while at the rescue she didn't seem too interested in them. I bought her two new toys from Planet Pleasures and also made a toy, so I hope once she feels more comfortable she'll take an interest in them. I read Pionus like wood toys best.
Did you adopt your Senegal from Ginger? I know that is the species she specializes in.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I read Pionus like wood toys best.
Not really - hardwood (like beech, birch etc) is too hard for them to find it enjoyable. Pionus, for all their size, tend to be pretty soft beaked. They tend to like pine, basswood and balsa, plus anything easy to shred - palm leaves, wicker, willow balls, cardboard, paper, lolly sticks or wooden coffee stirrers, birdie bagels and similar. Leia will rip through balsa in seconds but wimps out at harder materials, so it's a a tricky balancing act to find stuff that's challenging and fun for her that lasts for a little while but which she isn't put off by.

This toy from Seriously Nutz was a success! Bamboozled ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Basswood Bird Toy With Foraging Parts. Medium & Large Parrot Toy

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Ally is gorgeous. Andre loves pine. He will attack up to 3/4 inch. But his preference is 1/2 inch.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@DurgaRose Luna was adopted from my local rescue in Michigan, but I found Ginger's group because I wanted to learn more about sennies. I am part of her FB group and I can never get enough of everyone sennie photos :heart: I actually first thought Ali was from Ginger's because, in one of your photos, Ali had a perch that looked like those Parrot Wizard perches and I know Ginger is a big fan :) I am always to hear when there is an adoption -- there are so many good and loving pets out there!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Ally is beautiful! Congratulations:cngrt5::heart: Keep us updated! (And more pics!)

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Not really - hardwood (like beech, birch etc) is too hard for them to find it enjoyable. Pionus, for all their size, tend to be pretty soft beaked. They tend to like pine, basswood and balsa, plus anything easy to shred - palm leaves, wicker, willow balls, cardboard, paper, lolly sticks or wooden coffee stirrers, birdie bagels and similar. Leia will rip through balsa in seconds but wimps out at harder materials, so it's a a tricky balancing act to find stuff that's challenging and fun for her that lasts for a little while but which she isn't put off by.

This toy from Seriously Nutz was a success! Bamboozled ~ Seriously Nutz ~ Basswood Bird Toy With Foraging Parts. Medium & Large Parrot Toy
Very helpful! Thank you! :)

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Very helpful! Thank you! :)
I will agree with this, even if she tears it up super fast, she loves balsa, cork and cardboard much more than hardwood. Her absolute favorite thing is real sticks from outside when I have a chance to get bird safe things like willow branches. Pine is middling interest too, for longer lasting things I get plastic foot toys, which she loves as well.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will agree with this, even if she tears it up super fast, she loves balsa, cork and cardboard much more than hardwood. Her absolute favorite thing is real sticks from outside when I have a chance to get bird safe things like willow branches. Pine is middling interest too, for longer lasting things I get plastic foot toys, which she loves as well.
Good to know that there's another fussy pi out there! My absolute princess likes cross cut pine but isn't interested in pine cut along the grain. @DurgaRose, sometimes their tastes can be very exact!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Good to know that there's another fussy pi out there! My absolute princess likes cross cut pine but isn't interested in pine cut along the grain. @DurgaRose, sometimes their tastes can be very exact!
She is SO picky sometimes it drives me nuts lol but yes I gave up on trying to buy her the "standard" types of toys that are a long string of chewable pine wood blocks, because she always ignores them, she's only interested in soft materials that she can make a huge mess out of within an hour or two lol

Suggestions also include: leafy greens with big stems like swiss chard etc or bird-safe leather tied in knots.

Though in the end her favorite stuff is always finding something she isn't supposed to land on and trying to quickly bite holes in it, like my leather chair of the coasters :headsmack:

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Firstly, I hope everyone is doing okay and trying to stay positive during this crazy, uncertain and scary time.
Just wanted to give an update on how Ali is doing! I have not been able to get on AA much due to all the craziness going on in the world... Things are stressful and I'm out of work like many are.
Ali is doing really well and seems to get more relaxed a little more each day. Every day I hear her make a new vocalization which is really neat. She has not touched any toys yet, but she's only been here a couple weeks. She definitely likes me and is always sweet (90% of the time!) But she REALLY likes my boy friend and seems a bit flirty with him! She gets super excited when he comes over and is anxious to sit on his shoulder. But today things escalated when she started making a new, loud sound! It was almost a repeated honking sort of sound. I looked into it and sure enough its a Pionus mating sound! Any advise on how to curb her hormones towards my bf?? When I have more time I'll probably start a new thread about it. Also she makes a very loud beeping noise when I leave her alone. Obviously its her call, hoping my neighbors can't hear it! I don't want to encourage either behavior. As far as the hormonal thing, I know her previous owner would pet her on the back and enjoyed how she "purred" for him! Not good!!!
My other two little ones are males and very bonded to me. Ali is my first female parrot. How can I try to ensure a good bond with her if she is a bit partial to men? I'm assuming just do the best I can with her but beyond that, she's gonna be more likely to chose him if given the chance? It makes me kind of sad! But at the end of the day I just want her to feel loved, safe, and happy.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Definitely making good progress!! She is warming up to me more and more :cantwait: :heart: She likes one of her Planet Pleasures toys with a really soft almost cork like wood (not sure what it's called) Last night at bedtime she was also making the grindy beak noise so I know she is relaxed and happy.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I dont have any experiences with pis in particular, but I have always either distracted mine with an activity or toy when they start engaging in mating behaviors with me or I say "no thanks" and walk away for a few minutes. Like you said, I also dont touch them anywhere other than their head and feet so they dont get the wrong idea from me :lol:

When we first brought Wally into our household, my partner was her favorite person. But after a year of me being the one who cooks and cleans for her, Wally wants ro be my velcro bird :p Its interesting, though, when Im away, she has no problems switching her allegiance back to my partner :lol: