• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Medium sized bird wanted

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
Hi there, I have been doing a lot of research and just when I think I may it dialed in, I think well....maybe this bird. So I am asking (knowing that every bird is different personality wise, but as a generalization)......I am looking for a bigger bird, but not macaw sized. Im thinking like a medium sized bird...blue crowned conure or maximilan Pionus (just for size comparison).
I need a bird that is relatively quiet (all birds scream and this is normal I get it , but not scream like a cockatoo), loves to get head scratches or chill on the couch but wont live to be 60. I am thinking around 40 years max or so. I am 47 and am trying to now outlive my bird.
I need suggestions and am open to anything! I would love a velcro bird that will sit with me on the couch.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you have any rescues near you? I think the best way to decide is to meet some birds. And a rescue should be able to give you a general idea of a specific bird's personality, although they can change a bit once they feel more secure in a home. Also, it opens up the type of bird you can adopt if you get an bird that's a little older- then you don't have to worry as much about life span.

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Sunnysmom is right, you should go to a rescue to seen what type of bird strikes your interest.

Have you thought of an Indian ringneck? Or a Senegal?

"Generally" Indian ringnecks are known to be independent but I have a neighbor whose IRN is very cuddly and loving. They also have the ability to talk though not all of them of course.

Senegal parrots are "typically" quietish from what I've heard though they can make this loud shriek. They are "normally" one person birds but depends on the individual.

Go to the good,bad, and ugly thread on these birds and see what you think. But also remember going to a rescue to see which bird you like is the best option. I'm just giving you something to start off with.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also suggest going to a rescue. There can be considerable differences between individuals within a species. We make very very broad generalisations about personality on a species level, but many individuals don't fit the description we've come up with. Parrots are only a handful of generations removed from the wild and haven't been bred for a specific set of traits.

One thing I will say is that it's good for birds to be active. Generally it's a bad idea to encourage them to just chill on the sofa next to you - you want to make sure that they're both mentally and physically active, flying between places, exploring and investigating things, foraging for their food and so on. This keeps them much healthier, both in body and mind.

Kristen888

Meeting neighbors
Do you have any rescues near you? I think the best way to decide is to meet some birds. And a rescue should be able to give you a general idea of a specific bird's personality, although they can change a bit once they feel more secure in a home. Also, it opens up the type of bird you can adopt if you get an bird that's a little older- then you don't have to worry as much about life span.
Thank you!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Get a pionus. You answered your own question :)

but i am biased, obviously.

Stewartb

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stewart Bath
My family and I live in Northern California and my daughter and I have been researching different types of birds over quite a few months, to become a member of our family. She is very interested in finding a Pionus Parrot, but it ssems like there are no breeders in the Western USA . I went to my local Bird Shop nameed "The Bird Shop" in Roseville, CA and they haven't had a Pionus available in around 5 years. How do you suggest I proceed? I am open to traveling to pick up a Pionus across the country in the future, if needed.

Thanks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hi, @Stewartb I don’t have any suggestions for you, but just wanted to say welcome to AA! You’re fairly close to my neck of the woods!

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
My family and I live in Northern California and my daughter and I have been researching different types of birds over quite a few months, to become a member of our family. She is very interested in finding a Pionus Parrot, but it ssems like there are no breeders in the Western USA . I went to my local Bird Shop nameed "The Bird Shop" in Roseville, CA and they haven't had a Pionus available in around 5 years. How do you suggest I proceed? I am open to traveling to pick up a Pionus across the country in the future, if needed.

Thanks
The bird shop is a pretty good bird store, wanted to get a cockatiel there but there was a year long wait list! Since you said you are willing to travel have you looked up points breeders in general? Instead of just on your area?

CoriDJ

Sitting on the front steps
JC Aviary has Pionus now. Seems like he has been offering them this year.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Before anybody gets any parrot, my top suggestion is this research, research and research some more and not just the internet either actual books. Go volunteer at rescue for at least 6 months, work with every size parrot in the place. Get to know them from the littlest to biggest squawker. Learn as much as you can, cage requirements, food requirements, toys, treats, cleaning, every nuance of parrot life.
My reasoning is simple; I volunteered with a rescue for 4 years. I have heard every excuse to why they bought parrot and decided to rehome or send it to rescue, this precious bird. " My spouse is allergic, the bird is too noisy, it's not hand tame, it bite my child, grandchild, niece, nephew, me; its too messy; we don't have the time it requires to care for it and on and on and on". Research research research please.