• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Medicine Mishap and Nail Growth

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yesterday while giving meds, Bridgette accidentally rubbed off her scab.
You see, during her stay at the vet, they accidentally cracked off her toenail in its entirety while handling her.
So when I had her in the towel, she was moving her leg and rubbed off the nice fat scab she had. Thankfully, it was only a drop of blood, but I feel so bad. :(
Now there's another scab :))), and she's done with meds. Will her nail grow back? If so, how long will it take? Does she face risks with missing a toenail?
Thanks!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
They were like ''While handling her, her foot began to bleed.'' I didn't realize how bad it was until I got her home, She has NO nail whatsoever on that toe.
I can't believe that Cornell didn't notice that!! :headsmack:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If they had students handling her they may not have.

Just keep an eye on it. The biggest risk is infection but it sounds like it's healing nicely if it's able to scab over. It may or may not grow back, nails are funny like that. It's the same in dogs when they tear a nail, if it's torn completely off it may not regrow. I wouldn't think missing a single toenail would put her at risk for anything other than perhaps slipping slightly.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
If they had students handling her they may not have.

Just keep an eye on it. The biggest risk is infection but it sounds like it's healing nicely if it's able to scab over. It may or may not grow back, nails are funny like that. It's the same in dogs when they tear a nail, if it's torn completely off it may not regrow. I wouldn't think missing a single toenail would put her at risk for anything other than perhaps slipping slightly.
Great to hear!! We'll see what happens..... :cool: