• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meat Meal

Winn

Jogging around the block
I am not considering experimenting with meat meal... It is an ingredient in a pellet I was looking at trying- as I do not understand its purpose or benefit I am uncomfortable trying it till I know more.
Oh wow! I definitely agree.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think most parrots have been observed to eating meat in the wild if given a chance. They are opportunists! But the current theory is that animal proteins and fats can contribute to atherosclerosis, so while I am fine with a bit of insects or egg or fish, etc occasionally, having it be part of their main daily diet would not be my first choice.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm headed to my vet Thursday for the budgie - want me to ask him while I'm there and see if he's got an opinion?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I just went through and checked the ingredients of everything I have here, and none offer meat meal. While I know a lot of times offal offers higher nutrient density depending on the organ (lungs are heavy in iron, kidneys are high in B vitamins, etc) I do wonder if that throws things out of balance for the rest of the vitamins in the pellet. The ingredients list the vitamins, but is that in addition to what is in the meal? Would that run the risk of overloading avian systems?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
The Wombaroo website also doesn't say it contains it? I wonder if there's been an ingredient change??

I was going to stop using Passwell anyway, cause Q doesn't really like it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The Wombaroo website also doesn't say it contains it? I wonder if there's been an ingredient change??

I was going to stop using Passwell anyway, cause Q doesn't really like it
Possible. Maybe if I can remember I will shoot them off an email asking what their current ingredient list is.