• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meat Meal

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Does anyone know what benefits there may be to feeding meat meal to parrots?

I have no problems with my past and current dogs, cats and ferrets having meat meal and many other yuck things as they are omnivores/carnivores and will eat the most disgusting things if able to lol but I am just not comfortable feeding meat meal to my parrots, having no real clue about its benefits or downfalls makes me question my stance on it till I find out more info specific to parrots.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know a lot of folks have tried mealworms with their fids for some added protein. @Mizzely has tried with Ripley I believe but I don't think he's eaten it.
I gave my old Sun Conure a chicken leg once and he cracked it for the marrow but it made me uncomfortable since it probably wasn't the healthy thing I could have given him just in terms of fattiness so I never have tried it again with any fid.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe if you looked up Kea parrots? I believe they are the only parrot that actively seeks out and eat meat in the wild.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know a lot of folks have tried mealworms with their fids for some added protein. @Mizzely has tried with Ripley I believe but I don't think he's eaten it.
I gave my old Sun Conure a chicken leg once and he cracked it for the marrow but it made me uncomfortable since it probably wasn't the healthy thing I could have given him just in terms of fattiness so I never have tried it again with any fid.
Meat and meat meal are a tad different. I do give my guys a small bit of chicken or fish now and then as a treat but not meat meal.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe if you looked up Kea parrots? I believe they are the only parrot that actively seeks out and eat meat in the wild.
There are some other parrots that have been filmed catching smaller birds to eat...

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are some other parrots that have been filmed catching smaller birds to eat...
Ooh really!? I had no idea what species?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meat and meat meal are a tad different. I do give my guys a small bit of chicken or fish now and then as a treat but not meat meal.
Oh I didn't realize my apologies. What is meat meal exactly?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ooh really!? I had no idea what species?
Was unable to find it in a quick search (was on youtube) but I think from my crappy memory that it was an amazon catching a smaller parrot flying past it. I have read in numerous places that many parrots have been observed catching and eating lizards and also eating baby birds of other species if they can.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I didn't realize my apologies. What is meat meal exactly?
Unlike fresh alternatives, meat meal is made from parts of animals that aren't allowed to be sold for human consumption; things like residual meat, offal, connective tissues and, in some cases, bones. These ingredients are cooked at extremely high temperatures and essentially dehydrated down to a dry, brown powder.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was unable to find it in a quick search (was on youtube) but I think from my crappy memory that it was an amazon catching a smaller parrot flying past it. I have read in numerous places that many parrots have been observed catching and eating lizards and also eating baby birds of other species if they can.
Wow! I truly had no idea that's so fascinating I'll have to see what I can research.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I give my birds a little boiled egg or a couple of dried mealworms occasionally (they eat egg, but not mealworms). I personally wouldn't consider experimenting with giving them meat meal.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unlike fresh alternatives, meat meal is made from parts of animals that aren't allowed to be sold for human consumption; things like residual meat, offal, connective tissues and, in some cases, bones. These ingredients are cooked at extremely high temperatures and essentially dehydrated down to a dry, brown powder.
Ooh interesting,man I'm learning so much from this thread. Thanks for that,I just love furthering my knowledge.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I give my birds a little boiled egg or a couple of dried mealworms occasionally (they eat egg, but not mealworms). I personally wouldn't consider experimenting with giving them meat meal.
I am not considering experimenting with meat meal... It is an ingredient in a pellet I was looking at trying- as I do not understand its purpose or benefit I am uncomfortable trying it till I know more.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I believe I've seen it recommended for supplementing chickens, but I wouldn't have a clue for parrots! Following along curiously though.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw a picture of rainbow lorikeets eating meat someone put out for other animals, they were scarfing it down!
I also feed my birds a little fish now and then.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe I've seen it recommended for supplementing chickens, but I wouldn't have a clue for parrots! Following along curiously though.
Check Passwell ingredients. Chickens I have no issues with eating meat meal- they are gutses and will try their hardest to eat a mouse if they get the chance lol. I can't really even say what my issue is, it just feels wrong or something- idk

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Check Passwell ingredients. Chickens I have no issues with eating meat meal- they are will try their hardest to eat a mouse if they get the chance lol. I can't really even say what my issue is, it just feels wrong or something- idk
Wait, you're talking about the Passwell?? :wideyed:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Check Passwell ingredients. Chickens I have no issues with eating meat meal- they are gutses and will try their hardest to eat a mouse if they get the chance lol. I can't really even say what my issue is, it just feels wrong or something- idk
Q's box of Passwell does not say it contains meat meal, but I am seeing websites that say it does :confused:
20230328_124344.jpg