• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meal worms or other live food?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Hey there, got all my info on mealworms from our local avian vet (Dr. Strauss (AAV member)) who told me not only not to feed our Quaker mealworms due to their horrible makeup, but that he’s seen reptiles die from malnutrition after a mealworm-only diet.
Feeding only mealworms to a reptile is like feeding only seeds to a parrot. Insects are not a complete diet and tend to be too high in fat and too low in calcium, among other things. Without adequate supplementation, it a great way to kill your pet slowly.

But you can certainly feed mealworms in moderation to a variety of animals or feed insects WITH vitamin and mineral supplementation as a base died, depending on species.

My chickens love dried mealworms. I can only imagine how excited they would be if I offered them live ones.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Don't trust vets for nutrition advice, I am currently studying to be a vet and we don't have to take a single nutrition class to get our degree(at least it is like that in the US, can't say for other countries)
I have taken a few because I find it interesting, but animal nutritionists are separate from vets
YOU GO GIRL!!! Ummm-- Doctor Girl! :xflove:
Q-- going into Avian medicine?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
YOU GO GIRL!!! Ummm-- Doctor Girl! :xflove:
Q-- going into Avian medicine?
I haven't decided exactly which branch I want to specialize in, it's so hard to choose :arghh: