• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meal worms or other live food?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’ve been seeing people feed their budgies meal worms and I’m super interested
Would anyone recommend doing this for their budgies? Or think it’s a bad idea?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would not buy the dry ones for my birds but I leave the odd bug on fresh made perches or grasses but so far Squeak has not been interested in them, not to say your guys wont be though. Burt chases bugs and spiders (the spider one scares me somewhat as last time I caught him it was a huge whitetail spider he was running after) to squash them- he does not actually eat them I do not think but I can't be certain.
Bugs are low fat and full of protein!!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I feed our Mourning Dove a good sized pinch [about 4-5x] dried mealworms daily, lightly crushing them. She freaked and wouldn't eat the live ones!
I have fed my Senegal an occasional pantry moth larva if I come across one [thankfully, only a few]... But wasn't sure our M. Dove would eat one, so don't try anymore-- I didn't want to have to deal w/ any aftermath.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have spoiled beebs who think bugs do not belong anywhere near them. Especially spiders...:rolleyes:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I worry about high chitosan/hard exoskeleton insects causing crop impaction.

Soft bodied bugs or grubs I would feed, but the crunchies give me pause.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix is terrified of any bug he sees, it’s kind of hilarious. Raijū on the other hand- who is usually the huge scaredy cat- chases any flies or other bugs that get in my room. I may have to look into getting soft live foods for them! Might be fun to try (and not just because I want to see Phoenix’s reaction :roflmao: )

Thank you everyone:heart:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I worry about high chitosan/hard exoskeleton insects causing crop impaction.

Soft bodied bugs or grubs I would feed, but the crunchies give me pause.
As far as I know parrots do not eat the exoskeleton. I’ve fed mealworms to IRN, Lorikeets, POW, and King parrots. They all shelled them.

birdsoup

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emmy
Mealworms are not only high fat but low protein!! Pls don’t feed

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Mealworms are not only high fat but low protein!! Pls don’t feed
Low protein? Not sure where you picked up that information, but I have to disagree.

"The live mealworm is made out of 20% protein, 13% fat, 2% fiber, and 62% moisture, while the dried mealworm is made out of 53% protein, 28% fat, 6% fiber, and 5% moisture. Mealworms are anything but difficult to breed and have a profitable protein profile. Consequently, they are delivered as feed for pets and zoo animals, including winged animals, reptiles, and fish."

I don't know what you would consider high protein if 20% is too low. Nutritional requirements for parrots vary by species, but from what I've read, most need around 10-20% protein and 5-10% fat in their diet overall, so mealworms are a bit fatty, but definitely not a poor source of protein, especially compared to most plant sources.

If anyone's interested,this article has a nice breakdown of the nutrient content of four common feeder insects, crickets, mealworms, waxworms and superworms.

All that being said, if you want to add animal protein into your parrot's diet, I would try eggs, not insects. Very easy to prepare, good protein source, and generally well-accepted, even by picky eaters. Live feeder insects are a lot of work for relatively little reward, unless you are feeding an animal that needs live prey, like some reptiles, fish, and a few songbirds.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I had some dried ones for Penny. Gave here a pinch a few times but it was not really a hit so after a year or two I tossed the jar.
I wish they would eat a fly as sometimes they are a problem but no such luck.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Shezbug can we see some pics of squeak, u do him dirty! Burt gets all the fanfare

:hilarious::p:laugh::o::rolleyes::shy::rolleyes::cheer:

reetybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Casper
I’ve been seeing people feed their budgies meal worms and I’m super interested
Would anyone recommend doing this for their budgies? Or think it’s a bad idea?
My bird will look at any bug he sees, he also ate a dead moth before. :depressed: But little to say about that and more to say about yes, it is okay to feed your bird meal worms as long as they are bought from a farm or a local petsmart (or dead)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Opie had a night terror once—I suspect because a giant roach wandered through his cage. When I turned on the lights in the morning, Opie had lost a couple of tail feathers and looked like he had been to a rave. The budgies were on the farthest part of their cage away from him! So yeah, I don’t think live bugs would be OK with any of my boys! Lol!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Opie had a night terror once—I suspect because a giant roach wandered through his cage. When I turned on the lights in the morning, Opie had lost a couple of tail feathers and looked like he had been to a rave. The budgies were on the farthest part of their cage away from him! So yeah, I don’t think live bugs would be OK with any of my boys! Lol!
Poor Opie bless his little heart .

Marisa K.

Meeting neighbors
I used to steal a few mealworms from my dad's Japanese white-eyes and give them to my budgies and lovebirds back in grade 4. Well, mine didn't eat the mealworms... They only chewed on the mealworms as if they're bubble gums. I felt that to be a bit too inhumaine for the worms, plus the parrots can always have other "bubble gums", so I never did that again.

birdsoup

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emmy
Low protein? Not sure where you picked up that information, but I have to disagree.

"The live mealworm is made out of 20% protein, 13% fat, 2% fiber, and 62% moisture, while the dried mealworm is made out of 53% protein, 28% fat, 6% fiber, and 5% moisture. Mealworms are anything but difficult to breed and have a profitable protein profile. Consequently, they are delivered as feed for pets and zoo animals, including winged animals, reptiles, and fish."

I don't know what you would consider high protein if 20% is too low. Nutritional requirements for parrots vary by species, but from what I've read, most need around 10-20% protein and 5-10% fat in their diet overall, so mealworms are a bit fatty, but definitely not a poor source of protein, especially compared to most plant sources.

If anyone's interested,this article has a nice breakdown of the nutrient content of four common feeder insects, crickets, mealworms, waxworms and superworms.

All that being said, if you want to add animal protein into your parrot's diet, I would try eggs, not insects. Very easy to prepare, good protein source, and generally well-accepted, even by picky eaters. Live feeder insects are a lot of work for relatively little reward, unless you are feeding an animal that needs live prey, like some reptiles, fish, and a few songbirds.
Hey there, got all my info on mealworms from our local avian vet (Dr. Strauss (AAV member)) who told me not only not to feed our Quaker mealworms due to their horrible makeup, but that he’s seen reptiles die from malnutrition after a mealworm-only diet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That’s strange, our local AAV-certified vet said the exact opposite, but I’m not sure.
Check up the nutritional content for yourself then question your vet on the matter to get a clearer understanding of his take on the matter. Mealworms (fresh) are fed to many animals as both a staple part of diet and as a treat because they’re high in protein and not too bad on the fat content.
Your vet was talking about reptiles dying from a meal worm only diet? That’s really very quite different to talking about parrots having one as a treat here and there!
I don’t actually know of any living being that should be eating only one food source, (there’s possibly something/someone out there but I am not aware of them) so I’m not surprised the reptiles mentioned died after receiving such a limited diet.
No one is suggesting to feed a meal worm only diet to any parrot…

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Don't trust vets for nutrition advice, I am currently studying to be a vet and we don't have to take a single nutrition class to get our degree(at least it is like that in the US, can't say for other countries)
I have taken a few because I find it interesting, but animal nutritionists are separate from vets