• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Me and my rescue Quaker

Do you think plucking and self-mutilation is ever curable?

• Total voters

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sammy hates to bathe. He used to enjoy it but now he freaks out if I get him wet. Occasionally I have to make him. Even if he just sits in the steamy shower with me. The water seems to help.

Kima

Meeting neighbors
Yes, I always take Kosmo in the bathroom with me while I shower or bath. Sometime he shows interest in joining me, sometimes I include him regardless of his interest. He has no fear of water, in fact, if you want a good laugh, read the two posts "Bath Time Joy" and "Bath Time Jolt" on my blog - we've had some adventures :roflmao:

Kima

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for taking Kosmo into your home. Kosmo is my dog's name. :)
I had success stopping feather plucking with my maroon-bellied conure. I gave her a little bit more attention, bought her a Polly Dolly preening toy (don't believe they are available any longer but there are other preening toys) and also added Nekton Bio to her water.
Best of luck to you in helping her stop plucking.
I have tried every preening, destroy and foraging toy, but to no avail :arghh: I checked out Nekton Bio on line; actually, the feathers he has are beautiful and he does have new ones growing all the time - the problem is him plucking them.
BTW: I didn't name him Kosmo, but when I got him I decided to change the first letter to a K, just to give him a new start :)

Kima

Meeting neighbors
Welcome, welcome!

I'm so glad Kosmo found you!

"Curing" a plucker seems to be somewhat up to the bird. Some birds stop forever once they get into a happier living situation. For others it becomes a habit that they turn to whenever they feel nervous (like a person who has a hard time breaking a nail-biting habit). Other birds have an incurable underlying condition that drives them mad with itching/tingling/pain and in response they pick and pull. I know of two cockatoos that seasonally pluck a small patch bare in the autumn but are otherwise fully feathered.

I believe every lil' plucker can improve at least somewhat with proper care... But it's a long, slow journey with many ups and downs. Thankfully, Avian Avenue is a great community for encouragement along the way!
Actually, I'm not that concerned about the plucking, as long as it doesn't cause an infection (I would love him with or without feathers.) It's the self-mutilation that terrifies me :sadhug2:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome