• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Me and my chickens

Sweet.Pea

Moving in
Real Name
Nelly
Hi ! My name is Nelly, I’m a 27 year old stay at home mom to a human baby and 11 animal babies! I have two beautiful birds. A 4 year old Congo African Grey with an extensive story, and a 1 year old Lutino peach faced lovebird! My grey tolerates my husband, and our lovebird being DNA’d female tries to murder me every single day, she is my husbands bird lol Her name is Lemon ! My grey Sweet Pea, her story is complicated, but I’ll try my best to explain. I worked with parrots for a living for the past 14 years. My entire world revolves around birds. I cared for as small as a zebra finch, to as large as a hyacinth macaw. Sweet Pea was one of my hand fed babies. I’ve known her since she was a couple weeks old. Once she was weaned, she went out into the world to a store for adoption. Her and I had a close bond before she left. I named her sweet pea when I met her. The people at this store named her turkey.. any chance I would get I would go and visit her. I would educate customers who would come in and meet her and see her. I didn’t work at the store, but I worked as a vet tech for the same company. Like actually a registered vet tech. Rescues have their own vets and techs, and even some pet stores do too. Anyway back to the story. People would ask what her name was, and each and every time I would say Sweet Pea! Several months later. The store manager at this location had troubles getting her out of the cage. Sweet Pea was obviously not comfortable and didn’t want to come out. So this manager aggressively grabbed her, took her into their kennel room and butchered her primaries and secondaries out of anger and frustration. As a result for this cruelty, a few days following this incident, she was on the top of her cage when this same manager approached the cage. Sweet Pea freaked out and plummeted from the cage. Hitting her upper mandible by trying to catch herself, and fracturing her breast bone when she fell. Keep in mind if you don’t know, African grey’s are heavy body birds. Imagine dropping a boulder off a cliff and it splashes loudly into the water below. I know that’s a dark analogy I’m sorry. But the impact.. so this all happened. She ended needing extensive surgery it’s a miracle she survived. It was a hairline fracture if it had been half an inch bigger she wouldn’t be here today. She also cracked open the inside of her upper mandible. This entire event was caught on the store cameras, a few customers, and even some employees were witnesses. i wasn’t present at the time of these events. But I was there when she came in. My heart shattered. That was my bird! That was my baby! After her medical treatments, I fostered her. She had a very hard time trusting. As she should after what she went through. None of my coworkers could handle her, literally, she would bite them and lunge at them and freak out. But she has never bitten me. Not even to this day. So I fostered her. Once she was better and her “old self” again, I adopted her. Unfortunately, although our bond is stronger than ever, she suffers extreme PTSD. She has to be given pure CBD oil twice a day, because she has freak outs and self mutilates. STRICTLY BLOOD FEATHERS! The amount of feathers I’ve had to pluck on her for that reason are more than I’ve ever thought I’d have to do in my entire life. Aside from her trauma, she’s my snuggle bug. African grey’s aren’t known for cuddling. They’re usually pretty independent and couldn’t care less if you held them. But sweet pea, will crawl onto my chest, snuggle in, and fall asleep or ask for head scratches. She kisses on command, she says “good morning” “goodnight” “I love you mom” and a million other things. Aside from my human family, Sweet Pea is the love of my life. Lemon on the other hand.. I love her.. but she’s an bum. Thanks for reading ♥

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Welcome to the Ave! Sweet Pea is lucky to have you, and they're both cuties. :heart:

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue! Kudos to you for taking in Sweet Pea! She’s gorgeous, and Lemon definitely fits her name :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum. We are all bird people here! I have 10 of my own right now (from ducks to finches) some have sorted backgrounds and others I've known since they were babies. I am looking forward to learning more about your birds.

:hello:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome ..you have a couple of beauties there :D

Sweet.Pea

Moving in
Real Name
Nelly
Welcome to the forum. We are all bird people here! I have 10 of my own right now (from ducks to finches) some have sorted backgrounds and others I've known since they were babies. I am looking forward to learning more about your birds.

:hello:

Sweet.Pea

Moving in
Real Name
Nelly
Thank you! ooh what babies do you have? I would love to hear about your birds too!! ♥ Although it appears in the photos that she has new primaries, she cannot fly. It could be fear, could be from the trauma, but she will not fly.it took almost 2 years for her to grow back her primary flight feathers. She freaks out and falls. So surrounding her cage is those foam puzzle squares so it’s a decently soft landing if she had a freak out. I officially adopted her at 1 year old. I’ve seen some major improvements, but she still has a hard time.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome!