• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome) AKA Just one more...

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I only have one concern and that is family harmony. This means that everyone is happy. Everyone has space, food, and everyone is getting along.

This keeps me from adding anyone. I can help and foster but I cannot adopt unless a miracle happens (i.e., everything goes so perfectly, like finding a someone that needs a rehome, and is tame, happy...) and that is what keeps me from adding.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
A good article on adding "just one more"
When To Say: “No More Birds!” – BirdTricks
That's a great article and made me also discover a great thread. I have often thought of how wonderful it would be to adopt this or that bird -- and this forum doesn't help when there's so many beautiful, endearing ones posted about -- but I know it would really have a negative impact on everyone's quality of life here in the household. When I took in each of my animals, I promised them a forever home in which they would be taken care of. With a senior cat and 2 birds with a couple of decades life expectancies, I have to always remind myself of my limitations.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I just had this talk with hubby last night. He said he would never do what I do. Too much work. But I really enjoy caring for them, puttering around in their room and doing this or that for the birds. I'm not one to sit still for very long so that might be why I enjoy them so much. They are always moving, one swoops in for loves, has enough loves and swoops out, all to be repeated over and over. I would love for the fosters to be adopted though...I have a few extra I didn't count on and I've had to turn several down within the last few months.

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
A good article on adding "just one more"
When To Say: “No More Birds!” – BirdTricks
This is all so true. I currently have five; three very old budgies, a conure and a cockatiel. I sometimes think that birds are like potato chips - you can't stop at one. I'm considering fostering and possibly adopting one more, but it will have to be at a time when my schedule is a bit more open. I'm home all day, but I'm studying. Once I'm employed, I will be working from home. My husband worries that I may take off more than I can chew, but when I think of all the homeless and needy babies, it breaks my heart.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ONE AND DONE (I THINK) :)

I have had many birds in my lifetime. After more than 40 years I was bird free for a few years and I wondered about adding a bird to my life again. Or was that part of my life over? I'm 63 and I certainly didn't want a bird to outlive me. We recently downsized to a condo and I was worried about the noise too. So I researched and agonized. I talked to my family ad nauseam. Then my husband gave me a birthday coupon, good for any bird, any cage, any price. That's the same thing he did 25 years ago when bought my caiques. You know the expression, "happy wife, happy life." :) He knew something was missing for me.

Let the research begin! Fortunately I found out about Linnies. I brought home Gigi in April and I couldn't be more happy with her. She's everything I had hoped for and more. Some of the members on this board suggested that I get another Linnie as they seem to flourish in pairs. Again, I agonized. I had the opportunity to buy her Lutino sister. Imagine that cute combo. :) But my breeder said wait, be Gigi's other Linnie, build a relationship with her. You can always revisit adding to your flock down the road. So that's what I did. In every way Gigi seems happy and healthy. I am so glad that I bought just one Linnie. If I find she is a different bird at maturity and would benefit from a buddy, I'll do it. But for now, she's a spoiled rotten only. I hope that's the way it stays.

OK, gotta go. Gigi needs some burrowing time so I can preen those pesky head sheaths. After all, if not me, who else?

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Hi,
I'm semi retired and I just got a lovebird uhmmmm....the end of may? Anyway, I was told he was 6 was old & was on cockatiel food. Basically a seed diet. Well, the bird was not tamed, scared to death of me/humans, did not want to even look at a pellet and see he'd bloody murder whenever I came near his cage. I got lots of wonderful & helpful information, from several people here and there are wonderful videos on YouTube that are just invaluable.
But... I did wind up getting another bird. I got a sun conure. His name is Africa, he will be 3 mths on the 29th. He is hand tamed though shy with me. We are building the trust level though. He steps up, when he wants to & seems to be pretty happy.
Since getting him Gogo (my lovebird) whom I do allow free access to the house flies over to his cage just to hang out and Africa seems eager to make friends. Gogo sees the interaction btwn Africa and I and has slowly begun taking steps towards trusting me. Of course my patience with him has a great deal to do with it as well. Gogo actually flew over to my bed & sat next to me...for a while!!!
He likes to explore and do his own thing but he know will fly over and sit on my chest and just...talk He will take food from my hand now. Still no petting, touching,etc., but we are closer than we were.
So in this instance I think getting the second bird helped this little flock family and I see a wonderfully happy future together for years to come.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Gogo and Africa! :)

A wonderful tale...:heart:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
@Theresa, I so well relate to your title!!!
I love the name Africa, too!
How great that Gogo is learning to trust you!:fairy2:Keep up the good work. Slow and steady DO win the race. :batnana: :jillone:

Doctress

Strolling the yard
Needed to read this! I do have MBS- I miss having a macaw around. Their personalities are just so unique. Their boldness, curiosity, etc. I can justify adding “just 1 more”...
  • Cost- I’m very financially stable, and have no problem affording the vet care, premium food, cages and toys.
  • Space- No kids, no other pets... the birds take up my entire parlor. I have the space for outdoor aviaries too.
  • Time- I have a flexible work schedule; the birds are typically only alone for 6 hrs a day.
  • Cleaning- I worked for a year in a bird lab after college...cared for over 1000 birds, fed them specialized diets daily, cleaned cages bi-weekly.
  • Age- I’m young enough to last 40-60 more years, God willing.

Factors stopping me?
  • I have some home projects going on right now, so the chaos of that wouldn’t be good for a new flock member. (Taco has gone through 3-4 house moves and renovations, he’s used to it by now. Smoky Blue takes the lead from Taco, but he’s still wary)
  • I work overseas occasionally, and I have a longer trip coming up. Wouldn’t be fair to adopt a new flockmate, then disappear.
  • Most importantly: my human flock-mates said no :unsure1:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Though I never know what the future holds, I do know that right now, I'm at my limit with four, and that comes down a lot to the species of the fids I have.

Four budgies wouldn't be a lot to handle for me, but a cockatiel, a WCP, an afgrey and a macaw are a lot to deal with.

Four different sizes, four different sets of needs, separate out-of-cage time for each, and an incredible degree of neediness, as everyone considers me their closest and most beloved flock member.

And that's not even considering the emotional and physical special needs of Kamara, Taco and Kraz.

Maybe someday I can handle more, but right now these guys demand nearly all of my attention, on top of the time, attention and finances that must be dedicated to twelve other furred and scaled kids.

We're a happy, stable flock and I can't allow myself to upset that. :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
  • Cost- I’m very financially stable, and have no problem affording the vet care, premium food, cages and toys.
  • Space- No kids, no other pets... the birds take up my entire parlor. I have the space for outdoor aviaries too.
  • Time- I have a flexible work schedule; the birds are typically only alone for 6 hrs a day.
Recently, a member asked, how many is your limit? Easy answer, 8. I'm also able to afford 8 and have the space for 8 and have time for 8.
Before any bird moves in, I make rehoming arrangements. My decisions are based on that! I want to decrease not increase suffering all around.
You'd think I was autistic the way I adhere to a schedule. Unfortunately, so do those around me. :( ("If we leave in 15 minutes, you'll be home by bird bedtime." "You need to hurry home and get the birds up.")
Death is always hard! Tears roll down my cheeks when I hear "...the dog up and died, after 20 years he still grieved..." Still there! My heart breaks each time. I can tell you each name and a zillion stories. But to me, the good makes it worth the pain.
I know my age is catching up to me and have decided this is my last "Summer of Quarantine." I wrote to someone that not having birds doesn't mean you're bad... It's having them when you can't care for them that's bad.
It's easy to get caught up in MBS, but know that "not having birds doesn't mean you're bad... It's having them when you can't care for them that's bad." Saying, "No more!" is right for some while saying, "Maybe more." is right for others. The trick is admitting which is right for you!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Recently, a member asked, how many is your limit? Easy answer, 8. I'm also able to afford 8 and have the space for 8 and have time for 8.
Before any bird moves in, I make rehoming arrangements. My decisions are based on that! I want to decrease not increase suffering all around.
You'd think I was autistic the way I adhere to a schedule. Unfortunately, so do those around me. :( ("If we leave in 15 minutes, you'll be home by bird bedtime." "You need to hurry home and get the birds up.")
Death is always hard! Tears roll down my cheeks when I hear "...the dog up and died, after 20 years he still grieved..." Still there! My heart breaks each time. I can tell you each name and a zillion stories. But to me, the good makes it worth the pain.
I know my age is catching up to me and have decided this is my last "Summer of Quarantine." I wrote to someone that not having birds doesn't mean you're bad... It's having them when you can't care for them that's bad.
It's easy to get caught up in MBS, but know that "not having birds doesn't mean you're bad... It's having them when you can't care for them that's bad." Saying, "No more!" is right for some while saying, "Maybe more." is right for others. The trick is admitting which is right for you!
Our comfort number is 7. When we took on Elvis for @sunnysmom , we were comfortable...but it was challenging, just because E is a 'too...and 'toos are a challenge, even if you are owned by one. ;)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Our comfort number is 7. When we took on Elvis for @sunnysmom , we were comfortable...but it was challenging, just because E is a 'too...and 'toos are a challenge, even if you are owned by one. ;)
My breeder has a plucking Citron that she wants me to take. I asked several people about rehoming to them and they all said no, they didn't want the trouble. (I've never had one.) Apparently, they agree with you! I hated to but had to turn her down. The Citron is sweet and gorgeous! Like I said, without prior rehoming arrangements, the answer is no.
I'm starting over. Charlie, YNA, would've made 4 with 2 conures on the way. After the loss of Charlie, I bought Tommy, budgie, from a pet shop. My old AV asked whether I was up to a pair of Indian Ringnecks. HMM The one I have is MEAN, to put it nicely. I told her I'd ask around as agreed. That WOULD make 8! "... And the race is on..." It would be so much easier with more conures. HAHA

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My new AV has toos and GWs, I'm gonna ask him about the Citron! :yes3:
My Cassie was a LSC...a close relative of Citrons. When she came to me, she was nekkid from from her chest on down to her chicken legs....a result of being banished to a basement. :(

When she passed two and a half years later...only a small spot of bare skin remained. :D

Keep us updated on what happens with the Citron...:heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Too bad she and your family didn't get more time together but she obviously was happy in your flock and knew she was safe and loved so she started letting her beautiful feathers grow in.:hug8::highfive:

Max83

Walking the driveway
with a big dog, two parrots that need separate out of cage time and two little finches I'm done for space and time.

Adding other animals would mean give away time to someone of my pets. And the mess ahah, me and my wife seem to constatly cleaning something (fur or feather).
We're a little neat freak and our dog isn't allowed in bedroom (birds yes).

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
i do believe i am at my limit.

with four kitties, a green cheek, and a congo african grey, i wouldn’t have the time to have another bird (with caring for my babies, college, and work), and it just wouldn’t be fair. even if i didn’t live with my parents and had more time, i’m quite happy with the two i have and i plan on it being them two for a while.