• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome) AKA Just one more...

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Another consideration that Holiday touched on a bit, is that WE as parrot owners change our views over time as we learn more about our own birds and aviculture in general. We read, we observe, we experiment and we evaluate. Or at least I do. I guess I shouldn't speak for anyone else! :)

There is some trial and error involved in keeping birds, IMO, and because of that I cannot buy into another of the phrases that is tossed around so frequently: FOREVER HOME. I do the best I can and hope that the choices I make are sound. But will all the birds who live with me now live with me their entire lives? I doubt it.

This is a reason that I have decided I can never buy another bird from a rescue and sign a contract that promises I will return the bird to them if I don't keep it. What if that bird gains a companion in my home? I think if I have observed a bird for 5 years I know what will be the best situation for that bird and if I feel that there is a home where the bird and any friends it may have would thrive, I want to be able to give that opportunity to the bird.

When I bought Lolly last fall I thought that I would be a stepping stone in her life. I might be, but then again this might be the best place for her. She didn't come from a rescue so all choices I make on her behalf will be mine to make. I have no thoughts of sending her anywhere; I'm just using her as an example.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
Excellent Point Kathy! And Lois, I feel I must tell you, you have a BEAUTIFUL style of writing!! I too was totally mystified and curious of birds as a child... Well, anything with wings really and it carried over into my adult life. I own parrots AND specialize in the study of exotic moths aswell. I have some Atlas moths ready to emerge as we speak. Flight touched me in much the same way as a child as it did you. And now, its rubbing off on my own children.

Glowbird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
What keeps me from getting another bird is worry about upsetting the equilibrium of the birds I have now. They've worked out their relationships and I don't want to throw an unknown factor into the mix.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I think it's a good thing to keep in mind when getting a new bird that it might not fit into your flock or meet your expectations. You have to consider if you will be able to make other accomodation like keeping it in a separate part of your house or like Chandra does, making some sort of barrier. If you can't make changes to suit their needs then maybe it's best not to get the bird at all, or if it's coming from a bad situation, then think of it as a foster. I think thinking like this would prevent a lot of birds from being rehomed several times. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, it's just something I've learned from personal experiences. I've been guilty of this as well.

glittersparkles

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Layla
I have been absent from this forum but have sercum to MBS since I decided to hobby breed back before xmas. I have however walked away from MANY pet shop birds and rescue stories...even the cheap ones. We now have over 20 parrots but only a handful are tame and the rest are kept indoor avairy style and are hands off. It's the only way I can realistically cope!

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
WHEW! That took a few days, but I finally got to the end of this thread. Thank you all so much for your stories and advice, it will be invaluable to me as I embark on the birdie journey. I'm not getting any birds for a while, but when I do, I will definitely keep this thread in mind before thinking about adding another.

kitwit54

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I fell for birds I have had kitwit for 15yrs last year I wanted a macaw,bigbill has been one of my best buddies
I went to get him a tree from bird shop and this lady has u2 well lady said just hold her WARNING never pick up
a cockatoo they are cons so I got 3:hug8:

Cocochick

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
My (limit) is 4. I have the time and resources to handle more than 4, but I love being able to give my flock all the time and attention they get now. I have enough shoulder space for all of them, and they all get lots of personal time. Ok, so maybe 4 isn't my STRICT limit, but I am happy with my little flock. That said, if a bird came along that desperately needed a good home, I would not turn it away.

PicklesParrot

Real Name
Leigh
For me right now its mostly space and time. I just do not have the room. I also worry about giving another the right amount of attention. I have a dog and my eclectus Pickles. I worry if we get a new baby will I have the time to spend with both of them equally. We havent had kids yet and do plan on them in the future. I wonder how that will affect just the 1 dog and 1 bird. We have talked extensively about having a macaw join our flock but have decided until Hubby can get to the point where he works at home like I do and we have a bigger house, it is out of the question. It is definitely going to happen though once we are where we want to be (bigger house, hubby working from home.) We do want another large bird but were responsible enough to know we cant give enough time, love, attention to more than 1 right now. Plus hubby says I finally have My bird eventually he wants to get HIS bird, lol. He wants a scarlet macaw.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
for me when goose (R.I.P baby) was alive my 3 parrots where my limit if i still wanted some of my sanity
then i added Ellie and shortly after goose passed and i was so upset i thought i could never add a bird again because it is another chance to have my heart broken
about 2 months later poor Ellie always looked kind of depressed and spent the whole day looking at his mirror so along came Molly
while the budgies like to talk to me and will step up they do not wish to hangout at all so
time wise and money wise i could take one one more
but i REALLY want a corn snake and i don't have time for 2 more pets so for right now i'm not getting anything

Verivus

Real Name
Chrissy
I can feel the itch very strongly these days... just one more bird... I would love a mini macaw after I get my Eclectus, but I know I can't get any more pets. I already have 2 dogs and will soon have 2 birds, plus I rent. Until I finish with school and can afford a bigger place by myself, getting any more animals is completely out of the question!! Finding a place to rent to me with that many pets would be impossible! Yet I still find myself perusing PetFinder and Craigslist and the rehoming section here... and of course there is the cutest little Hahn's looking for a home right now in Tucson... :rolleyes:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I've posted on this thread before. It's been harder for me here in CA where there is no rescue close to volunteer at. There are some birds that I really want to help but I know I can't right now. I really miss cockatoos especially. I loved working with them at the rescue back in MN, now I would give anything to be able to adopt one. Maybe in 6 years when I'm graduated with a doctorate and have a job. It seems so far away though. :(

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump, bump, BUMP, BUMP!!!!

I need to tattoo the title of this thread onto my brain, or something. My recent acquisition of Target has stirred something in me and she makes me want MOAR, MOAR, MOAR. She came from a huge flock of 20+ medium/large birds and I often stare at her thinking of how lonely she must be not to have them around. Compound that with the absence of her best bud the Moluccan cockatoo being very likely the culprit in her feather barbering. And I'm sure my recent depression flare-up is also another reason why I have this sudden desire to get MORE. Except I can't handle MORE, especially not of Target's size. Nursing her back to health is a struggle enough for me, especially in my current condition, with law school to consider, and there's no way I could handle another. I'll just make sure she's extra loved so she doesn't feel lonely anymore.

If I ever start wavering again, please smack me and redirect me to this thread.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For me it's about time, lifestyle, and personal limits. My personal limits.

I am at a stage in my life where I don't have additional time for more birds nor do I desire the time for more birds. There are only 24 hours in a day, and X amount of resources. As I become more mature I am also recognizing that I also do not have any interest in spending the majority of my time on parrot issues.

I have other aspirations, commitments and hobbies. If I added another bird to my flock I wouldn't be doing anyone any favours. Not to myself, not to my SO and certainly not to my existing flock. Adding another bird into my life would mean something or someone is receiving less. Less time, less money, less interaction, less commitment, less effort, etc.

When it comes to my myself, my family and my flock, I don't ever want to feel that someone's compromising over the long haul.
:huh: Oh goodness! 4 months after writing this post 4 months I welcomed Thomas!:eek:

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer