• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome) AKA Just one more...

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to find balance: between my bird-life and the rest of my life; between time spent cleaning and time spent relaxing; between expense and enjoyment; and between the quantity of birds and the quality of the relationships I have with them.

The maximum number of birds I have had at any given time is 4, and 2 of those were finches who required relatively little from me. I really cannot fathom having more than 3 birds, especially if they are birds that require a lot of one on one time and they don't get along. And, I'm a clean freak that hates to clean, which complicates things. ;)

I would certainly like to add to my flock at some point. I think Olive would benefit from having the company of another bird. However, any addition in the next few years will be thought out extremely carefully. I know that someday I will want a large macaw, a bird that I've wanted since I was a kid and found out that you could keep them as pets :eek:, so I have to leave room for that in my 3 bird limit. As I've discussed before, having rehomed 2 of my birds in the past has made me absolutely never want to go through that again, which definitely helps keep me in check. Besides, I'm only 23 and like to maintain some semblance of a social life; Olive is a big part of my life but she's not my WHOLE life.

Last edited:

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There are a few things that keep me in check. Vet bills are a big one. My vet bill for the last six month for three birds is approaching $3000. Granted, Judy is a significant portion of that, but even the healthy birds are expensive and sometimes get sick. I also have Irving and Ashley to worry about. Ashley is 10 years old and could start getting to a point where her bills are high. Irving has hip dysplasia and his bills could get higher as well. The animals I have keep me busy, especially with my husband gone. I wouldn't say I'm at my absolute limit, but we're comfortable right now and I'd like to keep it that way for a while. Space is a concern. Being a military family, we don't know how much space we'll have three years from now, let alone 20 or 30. Petsitting/boarding is a concern. We've already had to be gone at the same time a few times in the last six months. That increased our vet bill because Judy had to be boarded at the vet so she could get her meds. Usually if someone is caring for 3 birds, a few more doesn't matter. It matters more if we're gone at the same time for six months or more. Then all the animals would be staying with someone else. There are a lot of things that we have to consider in addition to the time we get to spend with each of the birds.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I first just had one bird, Pogo. When I got him, I had a farm so was home all the time and spent most of every day with him. After 5 years I went back to working in an office. He adapted quite well but I felt he must be bored home all alone (well with the cats). After losing him, I had decided I would get 2 birds the next time. I got Quack first and still really worried about adding a 2nd. She was biting quite a bit and quite hard and I worried she would be even worse if she was jealous of a new bird. I came across Darwin, a rescue, who also needed a companion, so brought him home. I birdsat Itsy, another rescue needing a home and she was just so easy, I kept her. She literally only takes a few extra minutes a day to change some paper, feed her, get her out. She is happy on my shoulder and I take turns allowing her there, then Darwin while we are downstairs. So the 2nd and 3rd birds were not bad decisions. Quack is happier having a companion. Darwin is happy. Itsy has not been integrated into the bird room yet but she is not very demanding. She showers with me every morning, flying over on her own. She does get jealous and/or nervous of the others and does not like them on me. But she is ok in the same room with them while on my shoulder.
I am considering another rescue, a female BHP who can't fly as her wings were pinioned (section from the last joint surgically removed to prevent flight) and has bad balance. She has fallen repeatedly and damaged all her tail feathers to the point that they no longer grow back. I do not need a 4th bird. I was not looking to add a 4th bird. I was looking for a BHP before I got Darwin & Itsy but could not find any other than babies from breeders at a price I was not willing to pay. I do have space. I don't have a lot of time but what I have I spend with the birds. But I think I could give her a better home than where she is, at a rescue with many birds. Am I the perfect home for her? No, probably not. But she, like many birds, may never & probably won't find the perfect home and in fact, may find a series of bad homes. I don't think my life would be worse to have her. I worry most about Quack as she is shy and does not demand attention like Darwin by flying to me. Quack gives dirty/hurt looks if I give too much attention to the others. But she is happy if I let her on my lap for a bit or spend a few minutes rubbing her head after Darwin is safely locked in his cage. Tonight she regurgitated for me several times (has happened a few times). This is so touching coming from a bird that has scarred my hands in many places and had an obvious male preference when I got her 16 months ago. So I do have to make a conscious effort to give her attention even when she doesn't demand it.
If I don't get the BHP, I will not be looking to add.

Jaybird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hope
I have never had MBS, but as a breeder, I saw it constantly. Sometimes, people learn from the mistakes they've made-- some don't. The only thing you can do is sigh inwardly, and be there to offer them advice and help with managing what they have.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I will forever hate myself for all the things that have happened,I still think that I am a horrible person and that maybe I never should have been blessed with a bird in the first place.
Stop that NOW!!! There is NOTHING beneficial in never ending guilt. There is not one person on here that has not in one way or another made a mistake.
The key is to learn from it, and it sounds like you have :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
I don't really have a certain, set in stone, number. I currently have 13 birds in my home but, 4 will be leaving me in a few weeks, so 9 permanent residents.
I am at the point in my life where I am a home owner, already married with kids, we're financially stable and I am a stay at home mother with all 3 in school.
For awhile it was "just one more" with me but, I'm pretty content with the flock that I have. I do have an open mind though, in case one comes along that needs me.
The entire family helps out though, so it's not just me.

A person needs to look to the future though before they go out and get more. I too often see people re-homing birds because they are pregnant, heading off to school or moving and the landlord won't allow a parrot.

I think my most difficult hurdles is that only a few of my birds get along, so I have to split up outside time with some of them and I have to have two separate bird rooms.
I also have not been on a real vacation since my honeymoon which was 7 years ago. I have no bird friends that can watch over them, most of my friends are afraid of them..
It's much easier to find sitters for other pets.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry to make this so long, but I'm going to be brutally honest here and I hope that it helps someone when they think about adding another bird. There is an old saying, two's company, three's a crowd. Well, that is what it's feeling like to me right now. I'm also having to contemplate doing a rehome with jewel. Chandra knows what I've gone through lately. I've been feeling like the world's worst birdie mom. You think one more cage to clean is a piece of cake, NOT. I felt I was rescuing jewel from that pet store, but was I really rescuing her? At the time I thought I was. Yes, she was in horrible conditions and I saved her from that. But the unexpected happened to me which forced me to see the reality of the situation. If you are going to own a pet, you have a responsability to not only feed it, clean it's cage, buy it toys, give it love, but most of all, you owe that pet vet care!!! A bird is not disposible, you don't say, "oh it's okay, if it dies I'll just get another one!" NOT! Animals have a heart, a soul and they have feelings. Many will argue with me that an animal does not have a soul. Please don't argue this with me, you'd never change my mind. I saw a huge difference when I had to care for 3 rather than two birds. At first, it was very overwhelming for me, I thought it would be easy. But I have to do it no matter how tough it gets when I have days I don't feel good. Yes, health problems have been bad for me lately. No matter how bad I feel, i still have to rise above it and make sure my birds have a clean enviornment. The added expense of a little one is something you'd think would be very easy. I still saw a huge difference. More pellets, more bountiful harvest, more chop to be made, more birdie bread to bake, more food dishes to scrub, more poop to scrape, and the list goes on! One day reality hit me like a brick wall or a huge slap in the face. Unexpectedly I had all three drop sick within a very short time frame. I never dreamed that would happen to me. I should have realized it could happen, but I was blind to it all. When one falls ill and you can't get them the care they need, there is NOTHING WORSE than to have to sit there watching something you dearly love suffer and knowing you can't help. To some ppl, it doesn't bother them, but when I love something, I love them with every inch of my heart and soul. If it wasn't for the help of a few angels I'd have lost one of them and I'd have never gotten over it. I'd have blamed myself and carried that heavy load on my shoulders for the rest of my life! That made me realize, I wasn't really rescuing jewel like I thought I was because I wasn't able to financially afford vets bills for all three in that short span of time. I really beat myself up for it. I hated myself because I wasn't helping jewel when I took her from that nasty pet store, not when I couldn't help her either. PLEASE...PLEASE....THINK before you buy. THINK before you adopt, sadly, I didn't think it all the way through. Oh but I thought I did! Three has become too much for me financially. The financial problem for me lies with vet care. I've seen birds live in smoke filled rooms, seed diets, filthy cages and they never fall ill. I keep mine clean and I've dealt with problems nonstop lately. If you cannot afford the vet care that they deserve, please don't take that bird home. They deserve medical treatment just the same as you or I do. Imagine how it would feel to die a slow miserable death when it could be prevented if you could pay the medical bill. If I rehomed jewel it would kill me because I am all she knows outside of that pet store. I can't handle the thought of her being scared when a new owner walks away with her. I can't take that fear away for her and that would rip me to shreds. But I'm not doing her any service if I can't pay her vet bill and get her to the vet if she becomes sick. So no, I really wasn't rescuing her like I THOUGHT I was. I could kick myself for not realizing it when I got her. I should have walked away and concentrated on caring for the ones I already had. I've had to accept the fact that I can't save every animal I find that needs help. It really upsets me that I can't. I try, but I discovered it doesn't work that way. A part of my heart knows that it would be best for jewel to go to a home that I KNOW can afford her vet care but a part of my heart cannot let go. Thats a difficult spot to be in. It pulls heavily on my heart. It's made me feel one inch tall as a bird owner. It's not easy to have to turn and walk away when you see a bad situation but I've learned that there comes a time when you HAVE to. If all of mine become ill at the same time again I honestly don't know what I'll do and that is a very scary thing to even think about. It petrifies me. PLEASE don't hand your bird to just ANYONE either. Have respect for the bird and it's future. When a person resell's their bird and makes a profit from it that is bird flipping, not rehoming. It's not about money, it's about the welfare of the animal. They deserve a home full of love, compassion, and care. If you want to make a profit, then please don't adopt any animal because an animal does not deserve that. What do I do about my mbs problem? I don't know. I would be extremely picky about where she would go and I don't know of anyone willing to take on another bird right now that can afford vet care and be able to give her everything she needs. I swore I didn't have mbs, but our recent medical problems made me see things in a whole new light. Once again, Please think before you buy, and think before you adopt. Don't do what I did.:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to make this so long, but I'm going to be brutally honest here and I hope that it helps someone when they think about adding another bird. There is an old saying, two's company, three's a crowd. Well, that is what it's feeling like to me right now. I'm also having to contemplate doing a rehome with jewel. Chandra knows what I've gone through lately. I've been feeling like the world's worst birdie mom. You think one more cage to clean is a piece of cake, NOT. I felt I was rescuing jewel from that pet store, but was I really rescuing her? At the time I thought I was. Yes, she was in horrible conditions and I saved her from that. But the unexpected happened to me which forced me to see the reality of the situation. If you are going to own a pet, you have a responsability to not only feed it, clean it's cage, buy it toys, give it love, but most of all, you owe that pet vet care!!! A bird is not disposible, you don't say, "oh it's okay, if it dies I'll just get another one!" NOT! Animals have a heart, a soul and they have feelings. Many will argue with me that an animal does not have a soul. Please don't argue this with me, you'd never change my mind. I saw a huge difference when I had to care for 3 rather than two birds. At first, it was very overwhelming for me, I thought it would be easy. But I have to do it no matter how tough it gets when I have days I don't feel good. Yes, health problems have been bad for me lately. No matter how bad I feel, i still have to rise above it and make sure my birds have a clean enviornment. The added expense of a little one is something you'd think would be very easy. I still saw a huge difference. More pellets, more bountiful harvest, more chop to be made, more birdie bread to bake, more food dishes to scrub, more poop to scrape, and the list goes on! One day reality hit me like a brick wall or a huge slap in the face. Unexpectedly I had all three drop sick within a very short time frame. I never dreamed that would happen to me. I should have realized it could happen, but I was blind to it all. When one falls ill and you can't get them the care they need, there is NOTHING WORSE than to have to sit there watching something you dearly love suffer and knowing you can't help. To some ppl, it doesn't bother them, but when I love something, I love them with every inch of my heart and soul. If it wasn't for the help of a few angels I'd have lost one of them and I'd have never gotten over it. I'd have blamed myself and carried that heavy load on my shoulders for the rest of my life! That made me realize, I wasn't really rescuing jewel like I thought I was because I wasn't able to financially afford vets bills for all three in that short span of time. I really beat myself up for it. I hated myself because I wasn't helping jewel when I took her from that nasty pet store, not when I couldn't help her either. PLEASE...PLEASE....THINK before you buy. THINK before you adopt, sadly, I didn't think it all the way through. Oh but I thought I did! Three has become too much for me financially. The financial problem for me lies with vet care. I've seen birds live in smoke filled rooms, seed diets, filthy cages and they never fall ill. I keep mine clean and I've dealt with problems nonstop lately. If you cannot afford the vet care that they deserve, please don't take that bird home. They deserve medical treatment just the same as you or I do. Imagine how it would feel to die a slow miserable death when it could be prevented if you could pay the medical bill. If I rehomed jewel it would kill me because I am all she knows outside of that pet store. I can't handle the thought of her being scared when a new owner walks away with her. I can't take that fear away for her and that would rip me to shreds. But I'm not doing her any service if I can't pay her vet bill and get her to the vet if she becomes sick. So no, I really wasn't rescuing her like I THOUGHT I was. I could kick myself for not realizing it when I got her. I should have walked away and concentrated on caring for the ones I already had. I've had to accept the fact that I can't save every animal I find that needs help. It really upsets me that I can't. I try, but I discovered it doesn't work that way. A part of my heart knows that it would be best for jewel to go to a home that I KNOW can afford her vet care but a part of my heart cannot let go. Thats a difficult spot to be in. It pulls heavily on my heart. It's made me feel one inch tall as a bird owner. It's not easy to have to turn and walk away when you see a bad situation but I've learned that there comes a time when you HAVE to. If all of mine become ill at the same time again I honestly don't know what I'll do and that is a very scary thing to even think about. It petrifies me. PLEASE don't hand your bird to just ANYONE either. Have respect for the bird and it's future. When a person resell's their bird and makes a profit from it that is bird flipping, not rehoming. It's not about money, it's about the welfare of the animal. They deserve a home full of love, compassion, and care. If you want to make a profit, then please don't adopt any animal because an animal does not deserve that. What do I do about my mbs problem? I don't know. I would be extremely picky about where she would go and I don't know of anyone willing to take on another bird right now that can afford vet care and be able to give her everything she needs. I swore I didn't have mbs, but our recent medical problems made me see things in a whole new light. Once again, Please think before you buy, and think before you adopt. Don't do what I did.:(
:hug8:

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
I am coming into here because I have a story to share and amends to make. My MBS got really bad at some point, and I have a "gotta save them all" personality. I learned, as time went on, that specific behaviors that were coming up due to puberty and hormones, along with the fact that some of the birds got along and some didnt, that having a large flock was hard. I had to do a few rehomes, all of which I wish I didn't have to, but all of which were in the best interest of the birds. I learned my lesson and I made amends with my past problem. I do know it was a problem, one that I truly needed to get under control, and I did. Things got better from there: my birds got a new bird room with a higher ceiling so that they can comfortably fly free and make laps around the room, my family life improved a lot, and I was able to work with my fids a lot more since I had a manageable number. I felt that everything sort of fell into place, and thus my stress was gone, and my flock's stress decreased. Things were better, and I was very happy where things were going, and I had no plan to enter any other bird into my family. That was, until I heard of a situation in which I was needed.

I was told by a friend that a "facebook friend" (aka acquaintance) had posted that she needed a home for her parrot or she was leaving him in a box outside the pet store. With my situation, I talked to this girl and took in her bird, who was surprisingly very healthy and friendly (just a little nervous to do recent lack of socialization). The bird was a present from her boyfriend, who she had broken up with, and she didn't want the bird. The boyfriend had always been the one taking care of the bird, but couldn't take him because his father was highly allergic. They were both young and immature and I have to thank the lord that my friend caught that status message. I brought home this little Blue Crowned Conure (my favorite type of bird, coincidentally) and he is now in quarantine, and he has been happy and healthy.

A lot of people saw this as a "relapse" of sorts, and I could see why that could be felt, but I feel as though I was judged a lot even before anyone would hear what I had to say. I knew I was needed, and I had at first planned to call my local parrot society to tell them I had a bird as a foster and to put an ad out for him, but I bonded with the little guy very quickly and with my life the way it is now (way less time on the computer, and way more time with my flock), I felt I could bring him in.

Sometimes we set limits for ourselves, and I believe that is a good thing. I set a limit for myself, and I planned with all my heart to keep to the limit without budging. But life happens the way it happens. I do not regret my most recent action, and I feel I have become a better person because of the help I have recieved on this forum.

For anyone who felt lied to, or felt that I am irresponsible and sick, I apologize for any internal turmoil I have caused you. What I loved most about this forum was the fact that it was like my family. But now, I find myself afraid to post due to the fact that I feel I have destroyed any relationship I had with anyone on here. So I guess it goes to show that MBS can hurt so many more than just the owner, the birds, and the family. It can also hurt people who care about you. I hope nobody feels they need to worry for my fids, and I hope that amends can be made and I can return to my family with a smile on my face.

Do I regret rehoming birds in the past? Yes. Do I believe every bird I rehomed was the right decision for the bird's happiness? Yes. Do I believe I had a problem? Yes. Do I feel I have a problem now and that I am still out of control? Absolutely not.

Take from this what you wish. I wish everyone happiness and harmony with their forever companions. :hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think that everyone needs to think seriously about what they can handle, emotionally, financially, time-wise, for the short term and the long term and during times when the sailing isn't smooth, and the answer is going to be different for everyone.

With the exception of the hens, all of my animals ended up with me because I was their best option - with most of them, I was their only option. None of the cats would be alive if I hadn't taken them in. Three of the dogs had run out of options entirely when I offered them a home. For these birds, coming from a rescue, my adopting them was not a life or death matter; however, by adopting them, space was created for other birds, for whom being taken in by the rescue was probably a life and death matter.

With my pack of five dogs, I've been lucky - they are such an oddly assorted bunch of individuals, but each has added something of value to the lives of at least one or two of the others. I've also been lucky with the cats. In the case of the birds, adopting through the same rescue, from people who know the temperaments of my individual flock members, has been a godsend.

The past sixteen months have been rough - my sister and I have both been hit with one thing after another with respect to various of our animals. I feel as though I have been doing nonstop triage all last year and this year so far. I'm hoping that this is just a crazy phase that will eventually calm down, and my life can go back to the occasional crisis, rather than a series of one crisis after another. But if this is my new normal, I'll just have to cope. It's what I owe them.

But I'm also at a point in my life where I can focus all of my emotional resources on them. I gave up on the idea of vacations a long time ago - too many animals to board, and too varied a mix of animals to find someone to house and pet sit. Few people would want to live like I do, but for me, it is worthwhile; it is a choice I made.

I'm at my absolute maximum with the number of dogs and of cats. I am at the verge of the absolute maximum with the birds. I could add to the 'tiel flock (and God knows there are so very many 'tiels out there in need of homes), but then I have to keep reminding myself of the dual facts of 'tiel dust and the propensity of B&G's for respiratory problems. So that really only leaves the potential for the addition of one more Amazon, if it turns out that Paco and Bertie treat Amelia like a fifth wheel and that she would benefit from a friend, and that's something that I won't have a really good feeling for until a considerable amount of time has passed.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
This applies to all my animals: Time. Between all the animals I have now, I rarely have time to myself. It's work (thankfully I work from home or I really would have even less time to myself!), animal duties, and a couple hours a day for me to relax, exercise, eat, etc. And when I go out on Saturday night with my friends, I always feel guilty about who I'm leaving behind! :lol:

It's a worry when we go on vacation.

Another thing I've started worrying about lately is emergencies. Gosh forbid, a fire, earthquake, etc. I have to have enough emergency food on hand for them, as well as temporary cages and I have to be able to get everyone out of the house!!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh, another thing - $$!!

Animals are expensive, and when things go wrong, VERY expensive.

In the past year I've spent thousands on my animals in vet bills. Probably close to 10 grand (a major surgery included in that).

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That a fantastic thread. Theresa, bravo for starting it. I too hope it will become a sticky and if anyone is thinking about adding or "rescuing" more birds, s/he will be referred to this thread. (I put rescue in " " because when others tell us they rescued a bird, it is sometimes not really a rescue but OUR desire to have another bird).

I too have a story to share but I am not ready for that yet. Right now I am working very hard to stick to the birds I have with no more additions, no matter what.

Each new bird I adopted either changed the dynamics of my existing flock, which was often not something I was prepared for, or limited the time I wanted to spend with each of my birds. More cages to clean, more time spent supervising their out-of-cage time to make sure they'd not injure other birds, more stress, which birds pick up from us easily.

Last edited:

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I've never been one to want a 'ton' of animals. I'm also a very paranoid person by nature.

After re-homing Loofa, I NEVER, EVER want that to happen ever again. Even though I didn't re-home her for me having too many birds, I'd hate for that to be the reasoning behind it. [I re-homed her because I was scared he wouldn't do well on the trip to my move.] - {Reasons why I did, are on a different thread... Don't need to get into it again}

When I get into the mindset of wanting a new bird, a few things pop into my head. How is my life right now? Good. Ok, well let's say in a few years from now... is this too much of a financial situation that I wouldn't be able to afford it?

Next few things that go on my mind are, is this bird 'tame'. If not how much time will be needing to be spend 1 on 1 to socialize him/her properly. If I bring this bird in, that's another cage to clean... takes up more space, and less time with my other animals. What other pets do I see myself wanting to own in the future? If I take this guy home will it mess up my plans of owning my 'dream bird' in the future?

Personally, I seem to spend TOO much time asking the million questions running through my head. And usually by the time I made a decision to go with the bird, someone else has already snatched him up. In some ways that's good.

Ever since I got Niko it's been SUCH a rewarding experience to watch him grow in the bonding process. We all seem to get a high bringing a new friend home. Let me tell you, when your 'untame' bird makes a step forward... it's the best feeling I've EVER felt. I've said this before, but it honestly feels like you've won a prize.

I can't see myself being able to properly care for many pets. There are those who do it wonderfully, but that isn't me. I see so many birds, and I feel bad for them. I want to take them home SO bad, but I have to tell myself... if bring home every unwanted bird you see, you're going to get overwhelmed. And you know what will happen when you get overwhelmed, you'll be that person you saw in the classifieds.

I don't want to collect pets, I want to love and care for them. They deserve that.

I wanted to bring home a baby grey, I was even on a waiting list for months. But after Loofa left me, I was so heartbroken that I couldn't bring ANYTHING home. I just couldn't. It's been months since then, and I still miss her dearly... even her new owner knows that. I couldn't imagine re-homing, getting a bird, re-homing over and over again... I just couldn't.

You can get that rush from other things. Buying your pets new toys, treats, play-stands... watching YOUR birds be happy, it's rewarding! They feel good and you should too. That's what matters.

When I see people get so many birds, or pets in general... I do worry for them. What if they break up with their 'perfect boyfriend', loose their job, ect. We need to know that if something happened. Our pets will be ok too.

But there are those, who have lots of birds... and they live happily ever after.

Last edited:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Simply put: lifespan. I can handle the lifespan of the ones I have and my teenage macaw. I cannot see myself getting older and getting more birds that may outlive me.

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really enjoyed reading this thread! Most of the replies show honest self reflection and demonstrate that the AA community consists of members with exceptional commitment to their avian companion :heart: I really hope that this thread is made a sticky because it has invaluable experiences shared here that others can learn from.

The biggest factor that keeps me rooted has to be the financial aspect of owning birds. I have smaller birds and people consider them "cheap" but vet bills for them have soared to the thousands. The cost of maintaining birds is also not something to take lightly and I make sure I am financially secured enough to cater to their needs (and even go as far as spoiling them); things like having proper cages (I had to replace my cage twice in the last year and the cost of that took me by surprise), continual replacements of toys, and a good variety in their diet. You don't have to be rich to achieve this; you just have to know your priorities and budget accordingly. I always have a vet fund stored away, just for times for emergencies. Right now I am at a 2 bird limit because I have a good amount of confidence and certainty that I can provide for my two.

I am going to be honest that I have wanted an alexandrine for quite a while now (they are my dream birds) and I had came across a situation where I could have obtained one at a very affordable price. I had to suck up my needs and put that bird's need before mine because I know that I can't provide for one properly now. After that incident I started a smaller saving fund for an alexie which I hope I can get down the road (thinking a few years!) after I have achieved a safe financial cushion.

The second factor that keeps me rooted is flock dynamics. It is because of flock dynamics that I had to re-home a bird just last year. I had a bird that was very aggressive to the rest of my flock and it drove me to my wits end...I was unhappy, that particular bird was unhappy, the rest of my flock was unhappy. Out of desperation, and because I had the opportunity, I allowed the bird to do a fostering trial with another flock. Much to my surprise, he got on very well with the other flock and we mutually agreed to make it an adoption. I still keep in contact with the new parronts and I am updated with progress. I am pleased to know he is doing just fine and has incorporated himself into the other flock wonderfully. I was very fortunate that it worked out for both parties in the end. This experience has made me realize the importance of flock dynamics and things are going so great with my 2 that I am really hesitant in adding another flock member - why risk tipping the scale?

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
We're at our limit here :o: Already we've had to make 'lifestyle' adjustments and are now in the process of trying to find someone suitable to pet-sit for us so that we can regain some balance and get away for weekends/holidays, etc. It's harder here because of my 2 big guys - there's not many people in this city that a) I'd trust to look after them and b) that would be capable of allowing them out of cage time. Elmo is simply too big a deal and too much bird for the general bird keeper here that's used to budgies/IRNs/conures :( I dont mean that in a snobbish way either, that's not how it's meant :o:

Given that we're already over the edge 'lifestyle' wise then the only real thing that's stopping new addition/s is space. We simply dont have any more space available for pet birds in our current house.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'll chime in about getting to the limit.

I think it's important that a significant amount of time lapses between additions so you know you can handle each additional bird, specially if people are relatively new to them.
I generally liked to wait at least a year between each bird; except in the case of the additions of Joey/Petey/Zuri, where there was about 6 months between each. However, for Joey and Petey I was getting birds that were out of the baby stage and who's personality were a bit more set in place. I had also the financial abilities to care for them as well as the space and time. I also knew I could handle it since I had to take care of my mom's much larger flock for a while mostly on my own and was fine with it.

But I came back to my one year minimum thing between Zuri and Pixel and then Pixel and Léa.

Being able to take all the little ones out at once does help. The fact that I have to take Léa separately, well while two different "time outs" is perfectly fine with me, that's all I really want to do on a constant basis. I currently have Zuri out separately as well, while he heals from his recent injury, but I know it's not a viable solution for me. So adding any more birds at this time that would require me to do so is not an option. And while I think I can handle my 7 nicely, I feel no need to add to it. I am quite content with what I have :)