• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome) AKA Just one more...

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How do you suggest to someone that rescuing that bird may not be in their or the bird's best interest??
I've seen the same thing and you either have to walk away from it, or tactfully send a private message. I've done both.

And then it's best to leave it alone. We are not a birdy police squad. ;) Hopefully all the good info and good parront examples here on AA will help some to think through their choices and readjust priorities.

Also, most members who congratulate others when they bring a new bird into their life are not aware of their history and are just being nice. I wouldn't be disheartened by it. What I have found is people who have MBS and change their pattern successfully do so more by the information they read on good bird forums rather than repeated chants of yay or nay. MBS is largely emotional so changing the pattern and realizing limits has to be reached by education that over time makes sense and becomes the catalyst for the change needed. For these past MBS'ers the knowledge eventually made more sense than their emotions. :2cents:

pixie603

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
i have met a cat hoarder, not a bird one...although that animal hoarders show? the episode with the lady who had a room full of birds and unkept cages and eventually let go of some of her finches as a start? i know her (the lady that picked up the finches for her) and go to her store often and was like aww my bird groomer is on TV :coffeescreen: She use to breed eclectus and i have known her for a while from chewing her ear off when i decided i wanted one and being friends with her daughter in highschool. i mentioned it to her when i seen her and she had said the woman had refused to give up any more but her and her breeder acquaintances will refuse to sell to her now....its sad.

i did get all of my birds in a 3 yr period. I wanted a macaw since i was 6 and when we bought our own home i think i went into the i need to fulfill my childhood desires lol
i decided against a macaw because my husband said he could NOT take the noise they make, but sun conures dont bug him!
so now i joke that since i didnt get a macaw i need a macaws cubic feet worth of bird :lol:

i'm also a clean freak oddly enough (with birds) so i need enough time to wipe out grates and get a layer of paper out and vacuum, wipe the walls blah blah daily...so i think i am at my cubic feet and i'm happly, and they are healthy.

oh yeah...i would cry if i had 5 yearly vet visits...it adds $
just one more is a scary concept now that im thinking about it....

Last edited:

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
And then it's best to leave it alone. We are not a birdy police squad. ;) Hopefully all the good info and good parront examples here on AA will help some to think through their choices and readjust priorities.

Also, most members who congratulate others when they bring a new bird into their life are not aware of their history and are just being nice. I wouldn't be disheartened by it. What I have found is people who have MBS and change their pattern successfully do so more by the information they read on good bird forums rather than repeated chants of yay or nay. MBS is largely emotional so changing the pattern and realizing limits has to be reached by education that over time makes sense and becomes the catalyst for the change needed. For these past MBS'ers the knowledge eventually made more sense than their emotions. :2cents:
I don't know these people's history either - I have just been browsing the bird forums reading threads. As you get to know people and their birds - you notice when they post a thread about a new bird.
I think I am mostly dis-heartened because I read a lot of slack given to some people who decide to buy a baby bird - regardless of whether it is their first, their third or their 20th bird. I felt down right guilty about considering buying a baby bird (even though that really was what I wanted all along) after talking to some bird forum members and reading other's posts about contemplating buying babies. I eventually realized that I am the only one of any of these people who will be living with this bird and so went ahead with my dream. However, I read posts from a lot of the same people with words of encouragement on getting another rescue or re-home; regardless of how many birds that person has seemed to acquire lately. I know of one person who has averaged about one bird a month for the last 10 months and still buying re-homes with no words of caution from anyone!! I just find that really sad :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I don't know these people's history either - I have just been browsing the bird forums reading threads. As you get to know people and their birds - you notice when they post a thread about a new bird.
I think I am mostly dis-heartened because I read a lot of slack given to some people who decide to buy a baby bird - regardless of whether it is their first, their third or their 20th bird. I felt down right guilty about considering buying a baby bird (even though that really was what I wanted all along) after talking to some bird forum members and reading other's posts about contemplating buying babies. I eventually realized that I am the only one of any of these people who will be living with this bird and so went ahead with my dream. However, I read posts from a lot of the same people with words of encouragement on getting another rescue or re-home; regardless of how many birds that person has seemed to acquire lately. I know of one person who has averaged about one bird a month for the last 10 months and still buying re-homes with no words of caution from anyone!! I just find that really sad :(

I understand and I personally feel the push to rehome gets out of hand sometimes. However, it is to be expected on a board with many members who promote rehoming enthusiastically. The reasons to rehome are valid after all. That being said I think more care can and should be taken to control the urge to encourage others to 'just go and get the bird' ...I think this would help members who have personal problems with MBS.
As for deciding to purchase a baby bird, I think that is a personal choice and should be respected also. Of course if the person is a novice then carefully worded information should be offered so the person can weigh both sides and make an informed decision that is best for them. And again MBS can happen in both instances. This coming Spring/Summer I will be bringing home two baby budgies from a breeder. My reasons are valid and I've read the pros and cons. Both views have helped me form my decision. And to stay on topic, three birds will be my limit. No MBS here. :)

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Since it was bumped, I guess I'll share my whatevers...

2 is my personal limit, 4 is the household limit. I have Einstein and will be adding Indiana, and Nick has Bruce (with room for another if he chooses). Costs for toys aren't shared and neither are major responsibilities like cage cleaning. We do small things of course like I'll check water and food for Bruce and cover him at night and vice versa. We also share playtime.

There are always exceptions to our rules though. We help each other with the major cage cleaning and hose spray down (it's just easier with two people), we share toys if one isn't showing interest and we share treats.

The concept of hoarding and MBS interest me a lot (call it morbid curiosity). Personally it's never something I could ever lapse into, but that's because I love vacations pretty hard and I love doing me-things like sleeping and playing video games. I'm such a ladychild. :}

I have genuine sympathy for those that suffer from things like this. I can only imagine how difficult it is to come to terms with such an obsession. Thanks to those who shared their stories here. I found this threat utterly captivating.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
I'm maxed out at 4 , how people have time for more then 4 and still hold a job / go to school / have other pets ect completely blows my mind
During the week I only have time for school , parrots and homework . Seriously I hardly even have time for my 2 fish anymore and they don't require too much at all o_O With 4 also means that no waking moment is alone. I eat with parrots , bath with parrots , do homework with parrots , watch tv with parrots etc
Never mind what 4 annual vet visits are going to cost
I spent R900 on a new cage and toys and food this weekend and I still need at least 4 new natural perches and a boing
Defiantly no MBS here although I went through a stage when I was extremely depressed and I had a little bit of MBS

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I have 6 right now, which may seem like a lot. It seems like even more when you put into consideration that I am a University student living alone.

But the four budgies are not companions for me. Though the newest addition is hand raised, and the other three have become tame with me, they keep to themselves for the most part. They don't need constant one-on-one interaction with me, and have all the room and toys that they need inside and outside their cage.

The two cockatiels are companions to me. However, Charlie, the 16 year old rehome isn't very demanding. He came from a home where he was never let out of his cage and was given to me because no one paid attention to him. I guess 16 years of this means he isn't super demanding of my love and attention. He is content being out and chilling on my shoulder or near me while I do my own thing.

Einstein is a hand raised bird who loves me more than anything. I am his mate, and he needs constant one-on-one from me.

I kind of feel like I have the equivalent to two birds when it comes to actual interaction.

Right now my number is good. However, I definitely see me adding more to my flock. How many though? Who knows! I know I really want to have my own budgie sanctuary/aviary. I know for the other birds I dream of having, like the kakariki and bourke, are super similar to cockatiel and budgie needs.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Phew! I finally made it through all 11 pgs of this thread! :highfive:

MBS is something i've given A LOT of thought to. It's why i'm trying to be so careful with my next bird acquisition- because i know it will be my last- so i have to make it count!

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I saw two conures on Craig's list. The bars on their cage were too far apart, and they could stick their heads out through the bars. The owner was asking a rehoming fee of $350, down from $450 when they didn't sell after a few weeks. I emailed my friend who has a large rescue, and asked her if I should get them. Her words were, "Absolutely not! $350 is too much money for untrained conures. Tell him you will take the birds for free and pay $100 for the cage." She told me that when you buy birds off CL, it encourages people to get more birds to sell on CL. I hadn't thought of it that way before,

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
Time, Money and Space. Ever since I got Sunny, I slowly left my job at a bird shop downtown. I fully understand the hectic drama and money spent on birds. Ecspecially time, one of the most valube things. I will have a better time scheduled next year. Soon to be adopting my second birdie soon, haven't had 2 in over 5 years :joyful:

kathykeltsy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
I am more than fine with my 5 but my tiels just hatched 4 babies starting last week I am completely comfortable with the idea of keeping all if them but plan on trying to find homes for 2 of them bi have the room and the energy. I'm a grandma whose grand kids all live far away. What else am I gonna do? They are. "My Thing". I resent anything that cuts into my bird time :) I sort of can see me having MBS but hubby keeps me in check. I handle it due to my flids all being little birds and you know tiels are not difficult and also budgies are happy to play with each other although they like me too. My most time consuming fid us my conure but he is good playing on his own a lot of the time. I adore them all so much I do have a dream bird list but I know that I probably won't see this dream come true :(. Maybe the best I can do I get Mogli my conure a buddy if I can ever find another CBC. We will see how it goes as the baby tiels grow up. Maybe that will be my limit. You all can talk sense to me too. :)

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I will never compromise the welfare of my Jasper just because "I" want another bird. I don't count only my babycakes counts.

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I just wanted to add my 2¢ In the fact that I have gone through something like MBS, only it was multiple Betta Syndrome. I'm sure everyone knows what a Betta is (Siamese fighting fish) you see them when you go into pet stores in those horrible tiny bowls.I got my first Betta when I was 10, he was a green-blue male, whom I dubbed Neptune. He lived only 2 due to my lack of knowlage of the species. At 18, (just 2 years ago) My fascination with this fish grew and grew, and I began saving them from pet stores, let's just say things got out of control, to the point where my mom told me she didn't want anymore Bettas in the house, I was sad that I would take anymore home. So, how many Betta fish did (do) I have? In total, I have 16 Betta fish, all in seprate 3 gallon tanks, 3 of which are females, who also live alone, all in beautifully decorated tanks. Now, the problem? Well for starters, I spend tons of money on them in between the 2 years I kept buying them. Between the heaters,filters, tanks, food, decorations, medications just in case, water dechlorinater, mineral salt... Yeah, you can probably guess...it was pretty much a fish disaster. All the tanks are throughout the house, decorated to fit in and we have received many, many compliments on the fish, who are all amazing colors. That does not change the fact that I spend roughly 2 hours every weekend or more cleaning fish tanks. Fish are obviously not my only pet, I've got a dog and of course a Linnie, who also demand my attention. Even though my story isn't about birds, it shows how quickly things can become out of control. My fish are all happy, healthy and all have names and individual personalities. Just because I don't have to "play with them" doesn't mean they don't need care, doesn't mean they don't like being talked to or have you come and watch them. Bettas can live 7-10 years, so they are a dedication.

Last edited:

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
a wonderful and very informative thread, was looking something like this for quite a while....My post is wee bit lengthy, but i needed to tell the backgroud.,,
I had 1 lovebird, I had plans for 1 only, from childhood i adored lovebirds, specially peachfaced one, just a single one has do many colors and they are soo cute...
Well, last year, we(me &my husband) went to a petstore. I had just one preference that it has to be a male(no color preference). I had wonderful experience with male budgie before, so i was keen on getting a male baby bird. The petstore owner asked me to choose one and then he said he'd check if its a male.
I had choosen the most fearless of the lot and he said, congrats here is your male lovebird.
We named him Pogo, and he started bonding to me......but honestly the cage cleaning + chop making schedule before office was overwhelming for me. I am overly meticulous about my pets, since they are captive I could not skip any part of my daily routine even if i am down with flu, my husband cooks but its me who cleans the cage, I couldnt delegate that part of my responsibility.
Anyways, Pogo was bonding but wouldnt come out on his own, but he enjoyed my company, but he hated my husband and gave nasty bites.Then Pogo got ill.
First it was watery poop....we took her to the vet, we though we couldnt save him, he was on 5 day antibiotic, then suddenly we found an egg on the cage bottom. Turns out Pogo is a she, i was heartbroken, the only thing i didnt want was a
female bird and we got that. By then Pogo was fairly bonded and i coudnt return her. But i was terrrified of watching her get egg bound and seeing her die. My husband then stepped in and told me we have to deal with whatever comes along. If shes meant to die like that we cannot stop that, but we can try to prevent that everyway possible, and there are people who keep femake lovebird as pets, not everyone die of egg binding.It was true, he was right.
instead of trying to stop her chronic egg laying, i put a nestbox and put some fake eggs inside. that reduced her egg laying to 2 at a time. But flipside is she hardly came out of her nextbox, i hardly got to see her. She was getting very very lonely and depressed, that point i decided to get her a friend. But not a male lovebird ( i cannot deal with further baby lovebirds) or a female lovebirds ( i cannot deal with birdie fights, i have long office hours 3 days each week).....but then for one full year....i researched the net like crazy, the time i took to help streamline my schedule with Pogo. Things were not as overwhelming now, but still I was not ready to spend as much time to again to handtame and socialize with the new bird ( for Pogo it was 6 months to her even accept for from my hand).
With 350 species of parrot to choose from, it was not and easy task....they powder down birds were eliminated from my list in the very begining, firstly i am allergic secondly i could even manage that with antihistamins, but i cannot deal
with all that extra out of cage cleaning.
i shortlisted my choices to Macimillians, Blue Crown Conure, Mayers, Alexendrine, Green Cheek and Crimson Bellied.
I finally ended up with a 1.5 yr old turq gcc who was a breeder and lost his mate recently. It was ideal for me...and my lonely Pogo.
I still remember, when both of them first meet after the qurantine.....oh boy!!!!!! they absolutely hate even the sight of each other...
Now, i am left with 2 birds who cannot tolerate each other, so i need two different rooms for them in each floor.
Their food preferences and requirements are completely different and i have to make the chops different.
The poops are bigger and harder to clean....
The vocalization is lot more.....
Yet i am left with 2 lonely birds....
This all seems ok....but when i think logically, i have to follow the cleaning/chopmaking scedule for next 25 years...it is bit scary.....
Having said that, i am perfectly content with my flock....my lovebird is do intelligent yet not that cuddly...my gcc is bit dumd yet very very cuddly....between my two fids i get whatever i asked from my parrots.....i would not think of having another bird in next 25 years, provided i am still alive by then.......

Chihuahua

i decided my max was four if it even comes to that, my cureent boy takes up all my time as it is as we as much of my money and any.more than four would be unfair to the birds and my dog. i will probably have a tiel, a pigeon or dove and an amazon or grey eventually.

Chihuahua

Since that post I figured instead of getting more birds I could foster.. so I'm sticking with these two for now until I have a LOT more experience :)

JosephNAsenath

Hit the Road
Real Name
Kristin
I honestly don't like to consider limiting myself with anything, I have tourettes along with other things so I rely on my animals for a lot... they definitely help me more than they may ever fully know. Right now I raise a bunch of birds outside like chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guinea fowl. I also own a dog, two cats, and a rabbit. As for indoors I own 4 budgies, but I honestly cannot stop. I started out with just two but ended up with 4, and honestly I want more. :/

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:loveshower:Oh, I am a collector at heart. Can't just stop at one anything.
I have one CBC & good space for only one cage is all I have. Sure I still look & would love a blue head pionus but then I regress as I have the perfect bird & he fits all my needs & we are happy.

:bliss::yahoo:

Last edited:

JosephNAsenath

Hit the Road
Real Name
Kristin
I think I will try to talk my hubby into letting me have two more, maybe another male - David perhaps? and a female/wife for him Bathsheba? :p from the same colony of Naomi & Ruth of course and keep them with them. Joseph & Asenath are staying duo.