• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe someone would know the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
If you get an air purifier that says it cleans 1500 sq ft and you have a house that's 1100 sq ft total, would you only need one for the whole house?
I'm considering maybe getting an Austin Air with my Christmas bonus but if it's only good for one room then the expense of multiple purifiers gets to be a bit much. I have a Honeywell that's good for up to 435 sq ft and it's in the bird room next to Raylan's cage. I don't expect it to clean past the bird room.

So does any vendor or user know?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If it is an open area of 1500 sq ft...Yes, one would do...
If you have hallways/ walls/doors/sepertate rooms being "blocked" I would say no...
One on one end of the house and another on the other end may work...but you need circulation of air through out the house to help clean all the air...JMHO:hug8:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Hmm... So maybe keep the one that's already in the birdroom and then use the other for the living area and hallway where the birds and us normally all hang out. Lots to think about...

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I'm also trying to take into consideration the energy costs as well. I've already cut out enough that I'm saving over $100 a month from a year ago and I don't want to add too much back on. I just can't afford it with my husband out of work for at least another year.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Actually, almost all air purifier "experts" agree that the square footage listed needs to be AT LEAST cut in half to tell you the effective space coverage. So, it's really closer to 750 square feet. Saemma recently posted some info from another company who tests them themselves and said they are actually only really completely effective for about 400-500 sqft under normal usage, but for pets actually closer to 200-300 sqft.

*K*J*B*

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kylee
If it is an open area of 1500 sq ft...Yes, one would do...
If you have hallways/ walls/doors/sepertate rooms being "blocked" I would say no...
One on one end of the house and another on the other end may work...but you need circulation of air through out the house to help clean all the air...JMHO:hug8:
Agreed. It's not going to clean the air of 1100sf unless it's open area. It would do the trick for the open area. For example... my house it would work for the living room, kitchen & hallway, but I'd need more in the bedrooms...

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
Hmm... So maybe keep the one that's already in the birdroom and then use the other for the living area and hallway where the birds and us normally all hang out. Lots to think about...
Exactly.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you get an air purifier that says it cleans 1500 sq ft and you have a house that's 1100 sq ft total, would you only need one for the whole house?
I'm considering maybe getting an Austin Air with my Christmas bonus but if it's only good for one room then the expense of multiple purifiers gets to be a bit much. I have a Honeywell that's good for up to 435 sq ft and it's in the bird room next to Raylan's cage. I don't expect it to clean past the bird room.

So does any vendor or user know?
Personally, I feel that you'd get more efficiency if you purchased 2 standard sized Austin Machines. One on its own is still VERY good but two would be AWESOME!!:D

I live in an appartment with 2 bedrooms and I currently have 2 standard sized Austin Air purifiers and I feel that this is perfect.:) Perhaps if I didn't have parrots, I'd feel that one is enough.:) I'd just like to add that I spoke to Austin Air Canada last week and asked them about the possibility that all manufacturers may *exaggerate* about the amount of square footage covered by the air purifiers.. etc. and whether in reality the typical consumer should cut that amount in 1/2.

I was told that when it comes to their product, the US Military has tested their machines among other brands as well and..
their machines actually do clean the amount of air space that they advertise.

Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

Personally, I feel that you'd get more efficiency if you purchased 2 standard sized Austin Machines. One on its own is till VERY good but two would be AWESOME!!:D

I live in an appartment with 2 bedrooms and I currently have 2 standard sized Austin Air purifiers and I feel that this is perfect.:) Perhaps if I didn't have parrots, I'd feel that one is enough.:)
Yeah well unfortunately my husband has been out of work since April and will be out of work for another 12-18 months. He's on workers comp(hurt himself on the job) but he only gets 2/3 of his salary so we're still down several hundred a month. If I get one, it will only be one and it will be with my Christmas bonus. I still have 3 children that need Christmas presents ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah well unfortunately my husband has been out of work since April and will be out of work for another 12-18 months. He's on workers comp(hurt himself on the job) but he only gets 2/3 of his salary so we're still down several hundred a month. If I get one, it will only be one and it will be with my Christmas bonus. I still have 3 children that need Christmas presents ;)
In that case, I'm sure you'll be VERY happy with one Austin Air machine. I know I was very happy when I first received mine and was very impressed by the difference that it made in such a short amount of time.:)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

In that case, I'm sure you'll be VERY happy with one Austin Air machine. I know I was very happy when I first received mine and was very impressed by the difference that it made in such a short amount of time.:)
Good :) Now to keep any weird last minute bills from showing up and stealing my money! :D

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Heather, we might have a solution for you...we are currently talking with a local air cleaner manufacturer that has a whole house solution. I will post more if we end up being a dealer for them, and if we don't - I'll pass along the info to you anyway.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you have dusty birds you really want a bigger machine with more capacity so it doesn't get plugged so quickly or have to work so hard to clean the air. It a room is 500 sq.ft. I would get one that is rated for 1000sq.ft.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Heather you have been in my house so you know the layout. I was hoping the austin would do the addition areas and kitchen. Well with two dusty birds it want cutting it so I still also use my honeywell too. It sure helps but us still dusty. Lol

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Heather, we might have a solution for you...we are currently talking with a local air cleaner manufacturer that has a whole house solution. I will post more if we end up being a dealer for them, and if we don't - I'll pass along the info to you anyway.
Great thanks!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
If you have dusty birds you really want a bigger machine with more capacity so it doesn't get plugged so quickly or have to work so hard to clean the air. It a room is 500 sq.ft. I would get one that is rated for 1000sq.ft.
I think our biggest room is maybe 300sq ft. Our whole house is only 1100 sq ft and it has 3 bedrooms a living room bathroom and a eat on kitchen. So that's 6 rooms. Doesn't come out to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.