• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2021 Mayor of the Avenue... Khizz

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Khizz is May's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two cockatiels, they are around 4 years old and are called Jeff and Mabel

2. What got you interested in birds?

Like a lot of people these days it was social media, the likes of Alex the Honking Bird and Merle the Talking Tiel. I just fell in love with their clownish personalities and sweet natures. However, I adopted the attitude early on that I'd love my birds regardless, I didn't place any expectations on them to be like these birds. I felt it was important for my bond with them.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Fun, laughter, noise (!), and quite simply, life! It's comforting to know they are there, and I love hearing their various noises throughout the day.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Responsibility is a big one. I have to do things I can't really be bothered to do but I do them because these creatures are dependent on me! Also, to an extent, creativity (i.e. designing things to keep them entertained!).

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When Jeff first stepped onto my finger. It took a long time and it was very tentative, but it was such a wonderful experience! It was the same with Mabel, it just feels like a shift in your relationship, and even if it's just a one-off, it's still a moment where they felt trust in me, and that's a nice feeling! :heart:

6. Where is your birds main living area?

They have a large cage in my office, which I also wheel into the living room from time to time. So they share two large rooms.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We didn't really have to change a lot as we got them not so long after moving in. The usual stuff like teflon and candles of course...and also clearing out the hoover more often!!!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

No, there aren't any round where I live unfortunately. Or not any that I know of!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I really want a nice tree stand! I love the java wood ones but they are pricey! My brother-in-law is a carpenter so I'll have to convince him to make something for me ;)

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I actually really want budgies! It's not much of a pipe dream, as I can easily get budgies and accommodate them, but at the moment it's not the right time. But I can see it happening in the future...so watch this space :sherlo:

I've also fallen a bit in love with macaws, but that isn't gonna happen, the rules of keeping big birds are too complex over here!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Me and my husband wake up, and once Jeff hears us moving around, he bursts into song to let us know it's going to be a wonderful day!

After that, I give them their veg and change their water. I let them out for a while (if I'm at home) and I swap their veggies out for seed and pellets.

I'll do some studying or lesson planning and they'll do zoomies in the morning.

Around 2pm we usually all go for a bit of a snooze, and then I'll wheel them into the living room for the evening before putting them away at around 9/10ish.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

That every bird owner's experience is different, and that one cannot make firm generalisations about a species - some budgies are loud, some tiels are standoffish, and all the varieties between...

Also, I've learnt how fun it is to be part of such a wonderful forum like AA!

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I used to have 2 budgies who lived an awful round cage, had bird sand and never came out. The poor birds fortunately got a better life in my aunt's aviary, but I still feel guilty about it to this day. I would have done everything differently if I could do it all again.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I crochet, hike and bake.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Not really - just be calm, patient and accepting of your birdies, no matter their personalities!

received_301333538193906.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Khia!!! Very well deserved! :yah: :starshower: :loveshower: :yahoo:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
So well deserved!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Congrats @Khizz - and that was such a great interview. I was nodding my head the whole time reading it! :hug4: :heart:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:congratualtions:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations, Khizz. May you always live up to this award.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.