• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2019 Mayor of the Avenue... EkkieLu (Tricia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that EkkieLu is May's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have a female Eclectus named Lucy, a male Eclectus named Sergei, a Rose Breasted Cockatoo named Newt, and my newest addition Angel, a Blue Fronted Amazon.

2. What got you interested in birds?

I got my first bird in the 1960s, a sweet little Parakeet named Petie. He was the most beautiful color of blue! I bought him at Woolworth's for .99 cents and brought him home without asking my parents. They were quite surprised but took me to buy him a cage. I was so thrilled to have him! I went to the local library to read up on parakeet care and I felt like a real parent! My grandfather had raised Carrier Pidgeons during and after WWI and I had always been fascinated with his big coop and how he spent hours training them, but I finally had a bird of my own and was delighted!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

My babies are always a joy to me! No matter what else is going on in my life they bring a smile to my face and make me laugh without fail. For that alone I can never spoil them too much.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

My birds have taught me so much! First of all, I am not in charge...They are! All they have to do is squeak and I jump. Another is patience. They don't do anything on my schedule, I have to wait until they diem it's the right time to cooperate. It makes me appreciate every little milestone so much more. I have become a much more considerate person overall. I fill my grocery cart putting their needs first, I build my meals according to what they need or enjoy, I move around slowly and calmly instead of dashing around like there's no tomorrow, and I am very aware of every detail of my house to assure it's as Bird safe as possible. All of this has been a major improvement for me and I am truly grateful to my babies for the betterment they have brought to my life.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

One of my favorite birdie memories is when I went to pick Sergei up. He had lived for over 20 years in a psychiatrist's office, rarely leaving his cage. His head was bright green, but the entire rest of his body was just covered in gray fluff. I fell in love with him immediately! The doctor said not to get too close, but I started approaching the cage while talking softly to Sergei. He spoke back! How Ya Doing he asked! I slowly put my arm up to him and to my astonishment he stepped right up! I wanted to cry! The doctor was quite amazed. From that point on Sergei has been firmly established deep in my heart.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I dedicate a bedroom as the aviary. At first it was for their safety as bird proofing a living room can be difficult these days with all the electronics. But I have done my best to turn their room into a giant play area and enrichment center for them. Their cage doors are always open. There are foraging and toy boxes, a 7' live willow tree, boings hanging from the ceiling, a wooden climbing wall, hanging toys galore, and a big window with a 6' soft perch in front of it. I think they are quite happy with my efforts!

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I had to change many things in my home to not only keep my babies safe but healthy and happy. I replaced the painted woodwork in their room with untreated natural pine, put in a granite window sills wide enough for them to sit on comfortably, disconnected all ceiling fans, added heppa filters to the furnace and air conditioning units, covered all wall outlets, taped down all wires and cables securely, installed an air purifier and humidifier in their room, and even hung several bird feeders from trees outside their window to encourage little friends to pop by.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I try to keep current on bird health breakthroughs and concerns, special needs care, and general overall life enhancing topics. I participate daily on Avian Avenue as I never fail to learn something new. I also participate regularly to help find locally lost pets, assist other bird owners whenever I can, and do my best to promote proper pet care.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I will one day have an attached outdoor aviary for the summer months! Being outside is critical to a birds well-being. I am working on harness training all my babies but so far only Sergei and Angel can go out with me.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have always wanted a Scarlet Macaw! They are just so beautiful! VERY majestic looking birds for sure. My babies were all adopted because I felt they needed me and the care I could provide for them. None came to me as picture perfect little guys. So as soon as I come across a SM who needs some mothering I will be on it!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

A typical day starts with Newt (my Galah) squawking for breakfast. He is very food orriented! Breakfast is usually something like bananas, berries, and apple wedges. While the crew eats I change bottom papers, get everyone fresh water, wipe up, and rake up the toy remnants on the floor. Then I spend a little one on one time playing with each of them, although before long I have at least 3 of them climbing all over me! For lunch they get homemade birdie muffins. Lots of fruit and veggies! In the afternoon they roam around and play, often trying to assist me with chores or projects. LOL By dinnertime they are always famished. Whatever I'm having is tailored to include their dinner needs too. A lot of colorful veggies for sure! The evenings I usually spend in their room. We play, learn phrases, some tricks, and laugh a lot! They all like to help me make toys. Nothing turns out like I imagined, but it's a great way to bond with them and have a good chuckle at the same time! As the weather begins to warm up here in Michigan we will once again be going for walks in the local parks. I'm very excited for that!

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

As far as sharing what I have learned from my babies I just want everyone to realize that no one is perfect and to never expect it from our birds either. Don't get frustrated with them. They will try to cooperate in their own time and on their own terms. Each is an individual that must be treated with love, compassion, and respect.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

If I had the chance to go back and do something differently, I would never select a pet based on looks. Cute only goes so far. Love, loyalty, and true companionship are what's really important in life. I hope I never forget that.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I am a very crafty person at heart. I love to make things! I knit, crochet, sew, garden, try to make bird toys with my trusty assistants, and even do home repairs. I make natural stone jewelry that I sell regularly at local craft fairs. My hands are always busy! One time I even made a life jacket for one of my favorite fancy goldfish when he was having swim bladder issues. He wore the yarn and Styrofoam best for over 6 months before he was able to swim again on his own!

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would genuinely like to add that I am so grateful for all the kind love and support I've received here at the avenue. None of us have easy lives, but through trust and understanding we are all making it work! The knowledge and experience shared here goes far beyond the threads on the site, it enriches the very fabric of our day to day lives. And I for one am sincerely happy to be a part of it! Blessings everyone!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very well deserved! Congratulations @EkkieLu ! ❤

I really enjoyed reading your interview, and the life jacket sounds adorable!

I just want everyone to realize that no one is perfect and to never expect it from our birds either. Don't get frustrated with them. They will try to cooperate in their own time and on their own terms. Each is an individual that must be treated with love, compassion, and respect.
This is so true :) ❤

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe yay! I always like seeing what your flock is up to. Rescue birds are hard work! It is awesome that you found little souls in need when you were ready for them.

The forum really is a special place. Thank you for being a part of it and be so welcoming!

:hug8:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:congrats3:

Very well deserved!
I agree that the life vest sounds absolutely adorable! Your bird room sounds amazing too. Does Sergei ever tell some of the clients' secrets from the psychologist's office? Your fids are so lucky to have you, and we are lucky to have you on the forum too!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats! Loved the interview!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:congrats5:

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Congratulations and I loved reading your journey with your feathered friends. It gives me so much hope and encouragement that one day I too can be a real bird lady! You are such a wonderful asset to the newbies like me. A big thank you and way to go!:party:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
:congratsbig:
Great interview

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank you all so very much! I love learning about everyone's babies and what is done to keep them safe, healthy, and happy. I "borrow" ideas all the time from you guys and my crew is so much better off for it. Many thanks to each of you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I enjoyed reading your interview. I think we need more pics of your flock. :)

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Congratulations Tricia!! I loved reading your interview! I hope someday you get to find that lucky Scarlet! Your Sergei story is wonderful :heart: what a sweet boy, he knew you were there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.