• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2017 Mayor of the Avenue... Irishj9

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Irishj9 is May's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I really don’t feel that I HAVE birds and my gang certainly don’t recognise ANY master. I am happy to belong to THEM. ‘Them’ being a crazy rambunctious gang of caiques, yellow and green thighed varieties.

2. What got you interested in birds?

Once when I was a boy, I went into a feed store in a little Irish town and saw a pair of plain green lovebirds in a small cage. They were so cute and beautiful, they just stole my heart away. I’ve had birds since then.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Beauty and energy, and a zest for life. The caiques are unstoppable. They simply accept no resistance. I try to mimic their attitude and their curiosity. It keeps me young.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned that even the smallest lil bird has a soul and can love you back. I have learned caique body language, almost as expressive as words, and I have learned patience. Not everything happens on my timescale to meet my needs, but I get back tenfold what I put in.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

That first day I walked into that feed store and saw those lovebirds. Ill always remember that. But when I’m having a bad day and reach for a memory to cheer me up, it will be Thumper and his big smile. He was sent to me as a gift from ABOVE.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I’ve converted a large double garage as an aviary. It has a huge see through Perspex roof for light, but the babies are always moving in and out, spending time in the garden shouting at wild birds etc. My next project is to knock through a wall and give them external flights.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I don’t have children about, so the changes are few. Just an iron clad rule about keeping all windows closed. Also when the babies are out playing, they get my full attention.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I have found African aviculture (live in Cape town) to be very backward. There are single pet owners, and bird breeders for profit. My birdie family and I sit uncomfortably between the two. My local parrot rescue is a health hazard. I daren’t go there and bring back illness to the babies.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

They have demonstrated again and again that what they want most is my time. Birdies just wanna have fun (with me). The box the luxury item came in is more likely to interest them. More open air space, and flying room is always good though.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

No. I am living the dream. I cant imagine that a bird with ( i.e) different colours would bring me more happiness. The birds I have are so full of personality I do not know what another addition could bring which would justify the flock disruption.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

A typical day when I am home starts with birdie breakfast. Me sneaking in before they’re awake to leave their food. After MY coffee, I come back and open all cages and begin housekeeping and pottering round the aviary.

Its not easy cleaning cages with a mad flock hanging off you surfing and searching for buttons lol.

I don’t usually call them to me, unless one birdie is looking off colour. I make a point of always having goodies about my person. They’ve learned that it’s ALWAYS a good idea to come to papa. Several times I have depended on this to recover an escapee who has hightailed it to the garden to explore.

Birdie bathtime is a highlight, all that washing and cleaning gets them in a bathing mood and I usually mist them and let them dry off.

Some keen birdies will be moved to the front lawn in cages to dry off in the sun, and a couple of others will play with papa in the sitting room.

Basically I make sure they get lots of unusual stimulation, new bottlebrush, or a trip in the car. And I get to play with them all day. Their favourite perches are high overhead and they fly up and down to me as they wish.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

More birds is not more fun, but one bird is not enough. It’s almost cruelty to the bird. And it’s much easier not to mix species.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Supply a MUCH wider range of food items, encourage flock dynamics, and always go for maximum space.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I’m a keen cyclist and will compete in the World Transplant Games (on the Irish Team) this year. (I had a highly successful kidney transplant in 2011)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I encourage everyone I know to read and learn as much as possible about the species they keep. The more you know, the more fascinating they become. For extending my knowledge, I thank all the members of AA.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats! Nice interview :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great interview!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Such a well-deserved title! You have given me so many insights and encouragement over the past year. Thank you!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
Enjoyed reading your interview.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats...and good luck to you and your team at the Games! :)

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
:congratualtions:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name