• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - webchirp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
New month, new segment! Chandra has an amazing setup for small birds and I'm sure everyone will pick up some good ideas here to use in their own homes!

1) What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

There are (hang on and let me count) 13 at the moment. A gold capped conure, sun conure, two canaries and nine green cheek conures.

The design of the room has been setup to minimize combativeness amongst the male green cheek conures and provide everyone with a zone that has similar functionality. We can’t have anyone feeling left out because they didn’t have a net or boing like the neighbor!

q1.jpg

2) Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

The only zone that is somewhat handicap ready is Hachi’s area since she is older and does not climb well if at all. Everything is touching and hanging easily in her reach. Her cage perches are close to the bottom of her cage floor. She will not climb out of her cage so I actually place her on top with a water bowl. I use a piece of plexi to place food so she doesn't have to climb on the bowl when out.

q2.jpg

3) Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?

I am constantly moving things around but the basics stay the same with their nets, boings and atoms. I do shift the nets or add divisions based on how well the flock is getting along. I am currently midpoint of moving things around to accommodate the newest adoptee, “Tuck”...
q3_1.jpg
q3_2.jpg

4) Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

While I love all of our AA vendors and try to spread the wealth, I cannot say enough about Mother Plucking Toys and her fabulous atoms. Also, my favorite nets came from Oliver’s Garden. I love making them things like the hanging bird bins, hoops swings and I do make some of my own wood blocks as well as other toys. I have learned that Avian Antics blocks are enjoyed by the cheekies as well as Happy and Chya...just ordered 33 lbs of blocks! If she would cut 1/8" blocks, I'd give up my tools! As for bird toys, I haven’t had a non-reliable experience with anyone...really any of our AA vendors are awesome!
q4_1.jpg
q4_2.jpg

5) Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

The atoms…everybirdie loves them. They are the most used items in the room. As you can see each zone has one.

q5.jpg

6) Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

This is definitely a work in progress. I love to stuff things in the fluted cardboard, make little trays with shredded paper for their cages or just bury a pistachio in something. They are all kind of lazy about it though. Happy LOVES new, unprinted egg cartons stuffed with things. You would be surprised what might be a foraging station. I actually put caps on my shelf in the holes where the extra posts go (so nobirdie would get their head stuck) and Hachi looked in every cap so I started putting things in them. Even just a bowl with some toys and treats. Hachi could see the pistachio and was all about getting her treat!

q6_1.jpg
q6_2.jpg

7) What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

Those boy cheekies can be total brats and attack each other. Little birds locked together, rolling around in a conure ball with feathers flying if they don’t have a barrier. I put up netting between those who cannot stay apart and be nice. I screwed a pvc flange to each side of the room at the ceiling, inserted pvc pipe, draped my net over and barrier created.

q7.jpg

8) What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

The room is a bit strange square footage wise. One section is 12 x 14 and the other half is 9 x 15. I would love more windows and a sliding glass door to their aviary but the walls are cement block.

9) What do you like most about your setup?

I like that with a bit of work, everyone can be out together.

10) Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

I have added somewhat slowly so they have all adjusted fairly well…even the newcomers. I don’t think age has been a factor. Most everyone who has moved in has adjusted well because of the others birds feeling comfortable (IMO). Having an entire flock does have some advantages.

11) Any future renovations planned?

I am trying to figure out how to double and split the outside aviary so that everyone can have similar zones like the inside. You can also see it is lacking in perching. I have a batch of branches to get into the space (swing and perches). I would also like to mount the cages on the wall so nothing is on the floor to make cleaning more efficient.

q11_1.jpg
q11_2.jpg
q11_3.jpg
q11_4.jpg

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful set-up Chandra! :D

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everybirdie here loves their atoms too... I wish I had as many as you!!!

Everybirdie needs an atom. Easily the most used item in the house. An excellent investment :)

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Chandra, this is amazing! Love the pvc rods for the netting -- and the Rubbermaid container hung by the ropes -- brilliant! What do you put in that? Toys, treats, bathwater, all of the above??

This is the most informative award/feature! Thank you, AA!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Great set up! I love the outdoor aviary!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You have a wonderful set up for your flock! They must love spending time in the aviary!

Matt

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, I don't know how you do it! Congratulations! :)

Guardiavoir

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joanna
Love these feathered estates highlights! Wonderful setup, @webchirp ! Your parrots are living the life!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
love your setup, Chandra! Congratulations!

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Congrats. Well deserved. Lucky lucky birdies.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you all! It would not look like it does without my AA support! :grouphug2:

Chandra, this is amazing! Love the pvc rods for the netting -- and the Rubbermaid container hung by the ropes -- brilliant! What do you put in that? Toys, treats, bathwater, all of the above??

This is the most informative award/feature! Thank you, AA!
I use them for their soft food outside the cage (easier to keep their cages clean) but I have had someone use it as a hanging bird bath! It would make an awesome foraging station.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your birds are very lucky- their set up is awesome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.