• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2011 Mayor of the Avenue...... Joanna (thejoie)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Joanna (thejoie) as May's "Mayor of the Avenue" :heart:

Please join me in welcoming her :dance5:

Thank you Joanna for letting us get to know you a little more, I enjoyed your interview! :dance4:

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

Mia- Hahns macaw, 3 1/2 years old.
Capri- Cape parrot, 1 year old
Elle- Red Belly Parrot, 17 years old
LuLu- Brown Headed parrot, 5-6 years old
Dink- Blue Crown Conure, 3 years old. Though he's technically my boyfriend's bird... he's part of the flock :)
Remy, Bernard, Gus- Linnies each almost 2 years old.
Pete and Paulie- Budgies, age unknown

2. What got you interested in birds?

Working at a petstore! If I hadn't, I'd probably still be terrified of them. Ok.. maybe not TERRIFIED, but definitely intimidated enough to never own one. I started working as a kennel attendant. LOVED it. The bird manager quit. Next thing I know, I'm at the vet learning how to hand feed. The first bird I ever fed was a goffin cockatoo. I was absolutely terrified!! But I did it. Again and again. The first bird I ever LIKED was a African Grey that was eventually named Gracie. The first bird that ever chose me as it's friend, was a Red Throated Conure that to this day I regret not taking home, I couldn't at the time. But then as soon as I was able, I started searching for me own bird!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Tons of laughter, lots of insight, a lot responsibility, a little (maybe more than just a little...) insanity...

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I learned to just sit and enjoy the space around me. I love sitting in the bird room and watching the birds do their thing. I've always been a "go go go" person. But I learned that somethings going all the time, you miss the little things, the little moments and the little magic that happens...

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Meeting Mia for the first time. I drove to the breeders house. I wasn't sure what to expect. She was only 4 weeks old. There were 3 of them. Two girls and one boy. I was secretly hoping for the boy. I picked him up first. Put him back... Picked up one of the girls, put her back. Picked up Mia, put her back and watched as this half naked little green thing turned around and did the sweetest little hobble back to me. She then crawled on top her siblings and stretched her head upward towards me and that was it. It was love at first sight. We were meant to be.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The birds live in the birdroom. A 16x18 space of birdie paradise.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

When my boyfriend and I were looking for a place to live, we were looking for a 4 bedroom instead of a 3 bedroom so there could be a birdroom. We're always very careful about what we bring home, about leaving doors open, about making sure that there is someone always home. I work nights and my boyfriend works days so that someone is always home with the zoo. It gets difficult sometimes but they are SO worth it!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Only the forum :)

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A mango foraging playstand or a huuuuuge exoticwood dreams flyer!
Too hard to decide which I want more!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Ahh another hard question!
Illigers macaw first comes to mind, I've always wanted another mini macaw and hearing Holiday's recent rants and raves make me INSANE about sharing my life with one someday!!
Rose Breasted Cockatoo- I love their silly nature
Jardine- I'm in love with Pois and I love how these guys play!
Alexandrine- I love their independence and that BIG RED BEAK!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds:

There is no typical day.
I work 3 nights a week. Those are the days that are complicated. When I work nights, I come home at 8 am, turn on the lights, feed everyone, open the window shades. I refill toys, get more beads, refill playstand foraging buckets. I go to sleep. The birds play. I wake up. I take the dogs out. I wrestle with the dogs. I eat. I make something for the birds to eat, I go upstairs to the birds, we talk, cuddle, drive each other crazy. I tidy up whatever mess has been made. I refill what has been destroyed. I get ready for work. Jer puts the birds to bed.
On days I'm home, the birds usually sleep in a bit later, and they get another 1-2 hours with me in the evening. We usually watch some Netflix together while Jer plays video games :) Then I get to put them to bed.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

It's not that easy. You can't just jump into it without some research. You have to not only research bird care but also find the right bird match for you. I am CERTAIN that all the birds I have are my soul mates. And that makes the hard parts worth it.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Make my own toys from the start!! SO much cheaper and they like them even more!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

"other hobbies?"
Did you guys not read about my daily life?

JK!

I also have 4 dogs. I keep fish tanks. I love fish. I love orchids. I love gardening. I love spending time with my feathered, furry, flowered.

15. Anything else you would like to share:

There is nothing as incredible as days with nothing to do but spend them with my furry, feathered, and flowered babies!

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Congratulations Joanna for a very well deserved honor. I sincerely enjoyed your interview. You are amazing with your birds.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Congratulations Joanna! :hug8: :dance4: :dancing:I loved your interview! :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congrats Joanna! Great interview :D

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Congrats Joanna, well deserved. I liked your interview, you're a great person and I'm glad that I'm interested in the same species of birds you have or I may have missed getting to know you as well through your posts :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! It is well deserved!

Matt

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Thanks everyone!! It's such an honor- this community is a big part of my life :) I love you guys!

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
:cheer: congrats! :cheer:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Huge Congrats Joanna!!!! I so enjoyed your interview and getting to know you and your flock better. You are such a wonderful birdy mom and I've learned so much from you. You deserve this!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congrats Joanna! Loved your interview and I love your never ending energy!

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Woo hoo! Congratulations, Joanna!!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award