• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maximum out of cage time?

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
I have three budgies, and I was wondering if there is a maximum time they should be outside of their cage? Currently, they pretty much have out of cage time from 9am to 8pm, but I don’t want to over exert them by letting them stay out for too long.
Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nope :) as long as everyone is safe and happy, with access to food, water, and opportunities to rest, it should be just fine!

My bird has an open cage basically 24 hours a day :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your budgies know where their food and water are located and will go back in the cage when they feel the need. No worries.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Over exertion won't be an issue, but I will suggest that their out of cage time should be fairly predictable and routine as much as possible (whatever the duration).

Being out 8 hours per day, most every day, will likely be easier for them to establish a rhythm with, rather than 16 hours one day and 1hr the next.

You'll see this in behaviour forums quite often... the adverse reaction when a bird goes from being out of the cage most of the time, to suddenly being confined when their owner has to go back to work (for example). Sudden changes like that should be avoided, and significant changes to their routine should be gradually introduced when possible.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed with @flyzipper - it's an issue of how much time is sustainable long-term. Birds tend to like routine, and get unsettled when they don't have a routine or when this routine is disrupted. I think it's a good idea to keep some flexibility in the routine because otherwise it is very difficult for them to cope with any changes, but it is a good to keep the shape of one.

For example, I've been working exclusively from home for the past year. Leia could be out of her cage from 9am to 9pm, but I worry that it would be really hard for her to adjust to being in her cage during the day when I go back to my workplace. As such, I've kept her out of cage time to 6-9pm as it was when I was working outside the home. She knows that this is her time to fly around and play. She's still used to her cage and usually naps and chews up toys during the day.