• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Max health worries

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Not making excuses for different hospitals.... but I want to gently add that veterinary hospitals are still slammed right now and the majority are severely understaffed due to losses from burnout and a lack of people entering the field to fill those jobs. Try not to take it as a reflection of the staff and how much they care about patients. You can also have your vet reach out to them for a referral and see if they need that first? The good thing is that Max is stable and has a good vet to help manage him while you figure out the referral process.

Again I don't know the situations at these specific hospitals but I can tell you where I am the caseload is enormous and sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day or people on the clinic floor and we have to choose between going through voicemails and managing patients and appointments that are in the hospital. It's tremendously frustrating and unfortunately there's not a good solution to the problem... and it's hard when you're trying just to get scheduled and feel like you're hitting a wall. I promise that they do care.

The facility in question has a poor review history, even with BBB, that dates before this current staffing crisis. We reached out 3 times since Tuesday and my Vet reached out as well. I'm sure they are awesome once you get in the door, but like everything in life, there is always a group that is disappointing, not everyone or every business can be the best! Thankful for us, we have other options to consider.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Have you looked into Cornell University Animal Hospital in NY?

Or perhaps this one, which is closer to you & they specialize in birds, small mammals & reptiles, no dogs or cats.: Avian and Exotic Animal Medical Center in Aston, PA
My backup plan to the backup is Penn State in Philly. They are slightly closer than some of the NJ facilities. Macawnutz had a great suggestion about other vet schools. I found another one under an hour away. I reached out to them today and another large facility that has imaging including ultrasound, CT and MRI, reached out to them to see if they are set up for avian.... learning alot about veterinary imaging vs avian imaging. Hopefully Monday I'll have an appointment lined up with one of them!! If not I'll be driving into Philly, I know you can't see, but that makes my eye twitch just thinking about it. :wideyed::wtf: but anything for the blue brat...

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't envy you one bit driving to Philly. No thanks! Best wishes.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I hope Max gets better :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue