• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mawell's story..truly an inspiration..

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
mostly all of you know his story but I will reiterate...
  • We rescued him from a horrible pet store on June 14t..I was peering into a large glassed in enclosure full of at least 50 budgies & tiels..I noticed on the floor that was covered with shavings something scrabbling through the shavings..it was a little tiel..he was trying to get to the ladder they had leaning against the wall to get up...budgies were attacking him & pecking him...he finally started to climb the ladder & he had no tail & was really roughed up looking..then I noticed one of his feet was not good..I yelled for the clerk & demanded to know why he was not separated...she said oh "he gets by"/..Dub walked to the front saying he couldn't watch anymore...the little birdie then finally made it to the top after being attacked a couple more times & was settling in for a nap when a big budgie came and sat on his head and was pecking him a lot..then a tiel came along and did the same thing..that is when I started screaming at the clerk..Dub came running & said get him the h.. out of there..clerk put him in a box & we bought him to the front to pay..I asked the store manager why he was not separated & she said "survival of the fittest" I thought Dub was going to jump over the counter and kill her on the spot..but we kept calm as we just wanted to get him out of there..we were afraid that she would get mad at us & decide not to sell him.
[HR][/HR] we got him home set up Mitch's old cage & then noticed that both his feet were crippled...he could not perch at all..and had been leaning against the wall of that aviary while standing flat on the ladder..we fashioned flat platforms but he was very uneasy..next morning we went out and bought a rodent cage for him. completely flat surfaces wtih platforms..but we put papers down on top of Sams cage with food & water bowls on top..he dove right into the food & water and settled down..he seemed so grateful that no tiel or budgie was picking on him..Sam & Mitch took to him right from the start..they were very careful around him..WE took him to the vet about three days later..we did not quarantine because the manager had showed us the vet certificate saying he was healthy from only two weeks before..in fact our vet turned out to be the same vet..(not a lot to choose from in this area) the vet was happy that we had him, said he had been given a clean bill of health but he had recommended separa tion ^ prescribed antibiotics at that time & was not surprised that neither had been done..his right leg is totally paralyzed..his feet are crippled as y ou can see and he is missing most of his toenails and one entire toe..he cannot perch at all..the vet said he was probably no mre than six months old and his leg had probably been broken in the nest box ..he had been struggling for survival all that time! he was purchased in a "lot" and the pet store probably didnt notice nor did they care...eventually they would have sold off the unsellables in an auction block. the vet had reported that pet store many times but it does no good..everyone up here cares about cats and dogs..they do not care about birds...he gave us more antibiotics for his peck wounds..none of them were infected tho..he got a clean bill of health & we were told we should consider amputation after he got stronger..we have since decided against that...He was pretty tame right from the start considering he had no contact with humans at all..he was just so grateful not to be in that horrible place..Dub has to clean up his poops as he usually sits in one spot within easy access of his toys, food and water on top of Sams cage..he jumps right into our hands every morning to come out of the rodent cage..since Dub is home all day we only put him in there at night or if we go out...He fell inlove with Princess Mitch from the get go..he sings beautifully...imitates birds he heard at the pet shop & we finally figured out he does a whimpering puppy..we are sad when we hear that one...He started chasing around Mitch after about two weeks...when we first saw him fly, we were scared but amazed..he walks around on the elbows of his feet, supported by one wing, which is also very crooked...he doesnt land well, sort of skids but he does get by and is getting better and better at it. Maxwell started allowing scritches after about two months with ushe has only had one bath since he was here..we will worry about that in the spring when it is warmer...he does preen himself..his whole tail grew in and the peck marks have all disappeared..a couple of scars...he still cannot perch at all so Sams cage top comes in handy..we change the papers there every single a.m...he starts calling for Princess Mitch as soon as he is out of his cage and on Sam's cage top..and she answers...if she flies around he flies..he follows her to the windowsills and over to the comptuer shelf..only recently has he started following her to the couch where she comes to sit with me..He is crazy inlove with her..she likes him too..I do think he is incapable of mating as he really is very badly crippled but if he manages it, I have a whole slew of false eggs here that I will sub..we will cross that barrier if we come to it..meanwhile he is happy and loves it here..the normally jealous Sam to share her cage top..she must have known he needed help..they get along well too but his real love is Mitch...the big burly cargo plane..I will NEVER regret rescuing him from that horrid place..the vet said he wouldnot have lasted too much longer in those conditions..now he has a wonderful home where he is truly loved..and a girlfriend!!!

http://

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
MAY YOU ALL HAVE A HEALTHY LIFE AHEAD , AND YES I CAN JUST PIC dUB KILLING THE OWNER

ISNT IT A SHAME ITS ALWAYS THE $$$ THAT RULES IN MANY PLACES IN LIFE

I WONDER IF BIRDS LOOK BACK AND SAY GEE IM GLAD I GOT OUT OF THERE IF SO IM SURE HES DONE THAT MANY TIMES

HUGS DOLL

Kimmie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim
Awwww... soooo happy you's took him out of there!!! He looks happy! :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I remember his story and I am so happy you and Dub rescued him! Hate to think of what would have happened to him if you were not there that day. Did you go to that store to buy a bird? Bird food? Supplies? Just wondering...sometimes it is just meant to be.:heart:

I brought home an unexpected tiel from a pet store that was closing - never will regret it!

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
Poor thing! He has happy days ahead. It's great that you've taken this poor baby to a much better home!

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
I am so glad he is with you. I hate it when people don't care about anything but money.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My BFF has her cockatiel in a two tier rat cage (rodent). Each of the two levels has a platform and a ramp up to the platform; there is also a ramp going from the upper level to the lower level. Noel loves running up and down the ramps, has toys on all for levels and scurries all over the place. He is wonderfully active running all over the place. Noel is not the least handicapped but really likes to have so much space in which to play and he uses all of it.

It has been wonderful watching Maxwell blossom in your flock. He is a beautiful cock and looks so very happy with you.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
This story warms my heart. Fate is a funny thing - You happened to go in on just the right day, not a week later (which Maxwell may not have survived in there another week) So Mitch DOES like him AND so does Sam - a love triangle - how sweet. he sure is a happy tiel now. You guys are all so lucky to have each other but then what is meant to be is what is meant to be. Maxwell was meant to find you
(I am here typing this and Rhyly just said "what are you doing?" he is such a cutie)

LuvMyAlex

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rhonda
Such a sad beginning but a beautiful outcome. You were all meant to be together. :heart: You were definitely meant to walk into that pet shop that day.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Whenever I hear Maxwell's story it brings tears to my eyes.. :hug8: Gosh I can just picture that whole scenerio with little Maxwell trying to get away.. :sad7: I'm soo very happy that you and Dub rescued him from that miserable pet store.. :heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Such an inspirational story, Anne. I'm so happy Maxwell has a wonderful home with you and Dub and it warms my heart that even Queen Sam knows to be gentle with him. :D :heart:

Barb E

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
God Bless You and Dub!!!

That is one lucky little tiel .... and a girlfriend - it just doesn't get any better :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I never tire of hearing about that little man, and I will slways thank you for rescuing him. Yes, in my eyes it was a rescue. He is a doll and Im positive he is happy with his little "Harem" of Mitch and Sam.
P.S. I wouldnt have been a subdued as Dub....bless him too.

Believe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rachel
Poor doll! Good job for getting him outta there. Sometimes people are just cruel for no reason. Or they are cruel in the name of the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR.
What sucks the most is that they still got their dollars for him!

Whatever. Hes safe now, and Im so glad he found you. Congrats, and may you have many happy years together.:hug8:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Aww love a happy ending. So glad you took Maxwell home, a good home and a girlfriend. He really lucked up.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
As much as I hate the reasons the pet shop owner gave for leaving Maxwell in that cage to be bullied by the other birds, in reality, his actions were fortunate for little Maxwell in that it resulted in a bird loving couple rescuing him from a patently dangerous situation. I happen to know some shop owners put handicapped birds in with normal birds just so they can be bullied and grab the hearts of passing bird lovers!

Then there is the one pet shop owner I used to know who would separate the bullied/handicapped babies shipped to him in a separate cage and us their little sob stories to sell them to bird lovers, deliberately. He would offer them specifically to customers he knew had the same species of bird and use the sob story as a reason for the customer to take them home! Very smart business woman, she was! It always helped if the bird had a physical disability because she said they sold twice as fast as the ones who were just bullied. Of course if the bullied birdie was plucked by the normal birds, that helped to get them sold as well!

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
:heart::hug8::hug8::heart: