• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

mauve genetics

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Hi - Lately I've been curious what genetics it takes to produce a mauve linnie? I know it's the DD of the blue series, so what do the parents need to have?

-NG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump8:

SeñorBirb

Real Name
Ella
:bump7:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Hi - Lately I've been curious what genetics it takes to produce a mauve linnie? I know it's the DD of the blue series, so what do the parents need to have?

-NG
Bare minimum, both parents need one blue gene and one dark factor to produce mauve offspring. Two of both would be ideal.

Best pairing would be two mauve birds. If you can't find one, two blue series birds with at least one dark factor (cobalt) would also work. In that case, you would get a mix of blue shades, including the possibility of mauve.

Last edited:

NorthernGannet

Bare minimum, both parents need one blue gene and one dark factor to produce mauve offspring. Two of both would be ideal.

Best pairing would be two mauve birds. If you can't find one, two blue series birds with at least one dark factor (cobalt) would also work. In that case, you would get a mix of blue shades, including the possibility of mauve.
Thanks so much, Destiny!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I love linnies but not familiar with their coloring - i had to go look up the mauve ones and they are so unique looking in that color!

NorthernGannet

I love linnies but not familiar with their coloring - i had to go look up the mauve ones and they are so unique looking in that color!
I know, I am a sucker for grey birds and would loooove to have a slate linnie. I've never run across one in my area, although I'm sure they're around, and it got me to wondering how that color even comes about :) Now we know!

TheBirds

I know, I am a sucker for grey birds and would loooove to have a slate linnie. I've never run across one in my area, although I'm sure they're around, and it got me to wondering how that color even comes about :) Now we know!
Yes! :laugh: There's a breeder that supplies our exotic bird store with Linnies and they often have mauve available. Gahhh, so tempting ....!!!!