• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maui sunset macaws

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Prices have shot up in the last few years, probably due to so many breeders retiring, breeding pairs aging out, and COVID. I'd say that's a typical price in 2021. A few years ago, that bird would've been half that.

I have never met that hybrid, but both parent species tend to be great companions. More will depend on how you raise & train the baby than generalizations about temperament. Four or so years down the road, your bird's temperament will change again as it begins to mature. I'd love a picture.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I was thinking that's GOT to be store price! Not breeder price!

Thought about it... nope, that's more like breeder price! Yes, they would have been cheaper years ago. I remember when cherry heads and mitreds (conures) were $200-$300... now? Not unheard of to find them for $600-$1,200! :eek:

As far as temperament goes? It is possible to get the worst of both parent species.... but as @aooratrix mentioned, a lot will depend on how you raise the chick up. They do greatly benefit from foraging activities, independent play, flight exercises and training in general.

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Prices have shot up in the last few years, probably due to so many breeders retiring, breeding pairs aging out, and COVID. I'd say that's a typical price in 2021. A few years ago, that bird would've been half that.

I have never met that hybrid, but both parent species tend to be great companions. More will depend on how you raise & train the baby than generalizations about temperament. Four or so years down the road, your bird's temperament will change again as it begins to mature. I'd love a picture.
I will be going to Houston on May 14th and seeing her on Saturday and Sunday so I will be taking a lot of pictures and posting them so all can see my new baby girl. Im so excited

BSA

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I was thinking that's GOT to be store price! Not breeder price!

Thought about it... nope, that's more like breeder price! Yes, they would have been cheaper years ago. I remember when cherry heads and mitreds (conures) were $200-$300... now? Not unheard of to find them for $600-$1,200! :eek:

As far as temperament goes? It is possible to get the worst of both parent species.... but as @aooratrix mentioned, a lot will depend on how you raise the chick up. They do greatly benefit from foraging activities, independent play, flight exercises and training in general.
My babies are never caged birds. They are a full part of the household. I harness train my birds so they can go places with us. I have grandchildren so they get a lot of socializing. I've never done free flight, just afraid of something happening. I love watching free fighting videos.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've never done free flight, just afraid of something happening. I love watching free fighting videos.

I never mentioned free flight... just flight exercises! ;) If you have a large enough room, you can always do flight training inside your home! Doesn't have to be outside! It's just another form of enrichment that is quite healthy for them!

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
My other babies
I'm getting her from the lady I always get my birds. I've seen her already. I've dealt with my bird people for many years. They know about birds and are involved in all the bird associations. I've heard of so scams. She will never ship a bird. I've seen her not sell a bird to someone because she didn't feel they were fit to take care of a bird. Makes me sick that people would scam someone else just to make a fast buck. If you were looking to get one, I'm Sorry to say she only has 2 babies and they already sold.
where is breeder located if you don't mind sharing?