• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Matzes

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
In the Netherlands we always eat matzes around easter. This year I found mini onces and wondered if it would be okay if I gave my two linnies one of a half one, just like a treat. They are crackers only made from wheat flour and water (so now added sugars, salts, etc.).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think its okay, though i never heard of them before :rofl: but i would be careful with any human food anyway ;-) dont give it a lot.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
I think its okay, though i never heard of them before :rofl: but i would be careful with any human food anyway ;-) dont give it a lot.
Yeah don't give human food either (except you know fruit, vegies and like baby food)
Just something different for a change as a treat seeing don't really have treats except walnuts (cause they don't like other seeds or nuts) and like dried papaya (which is alot of sugar). So thought maybe could give this from time to seeing seeing it's only flour and water. But here is a picture of what they are:
Screenshot_20210321-215815_Google.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I eat them sometimes. Put butter and salt and pepper on top. I think for birds it would be good beak exercise to crunch on a plain cracker without salt.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have Jacobs crackers in the UK , they appear to be the same.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I wouldn't worry about it, it seems good for a treat now and then:) A bit like rice waffles(not sure of the english word, rijstwafels for us:) but then with flour. You could put cut up veggies and some seeds on top of a little piece so they have a nice edible plate :D Be careful not to give too much, but I don't imagine you will be feeding them an entire matze a day.
We wouldn't mind pictures of your birds, linnie's are beautiful:)

mak

I have given pieces to Tooky and he really enjoyed them (and made a large mess).

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is sooo adorable! That face :heart:

mak

Matzes or Matzos as they are more commonly known, are not related at all to Easter, they are however an important part of Passover which falls out every year around the same time as Easter.
In honor of Passover, even the animals in a local zoo were given matzo to snack on.

Photo Credit: Gideon Markowicz/TPS