• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

mating

Fhossain2009

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Fatma
hello again, i have a quick question. how long does it take for parakeets and cockatiels to mate, not together tho:lol:

i have a pair of cockatiels in one cage with a wooden box attached to it and the same thing with the pair of parakeets in a separate cage,

and recently i got a male and put the oldest female (i have another parakeets but its too young and i still don't know the gender ) with the male in the cage, but i don't see any action.

the male cockatiel is usually in the box tho.. should i close the box until they mate and open it again or just leave him to be?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you don´t know what you are doing, do you think it is wise you provide a nesting box?

It can be very dangerous for the birds.

What is your plan? And what would you do with the chicks? Also, Do you know how to hand feed?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
And if you did have chicks, could you get formula in case you had to start hand feeding? I saw your other post about not having that many bird food supplies available to you. I would take out the nest box and discourage breeding.

Fhossain2009

Real Name
Fatma
And if you did have chicks, could you get formula in case you had to start hand feeding? I saw your other post about not having that many bird food supplies available to you. I would take out the nest box and discourage breeding.
the formula is available in some places, luckily for me, my friend's brother is a long time breeder are trainer and would help me whenever needed.
but i guess removing the nest box is wise, thank you

Fhossain2009

Real Name
Fatma
If you don´t know what you are doing, do you think it is wise you provide a nesting box?

It can be very dangerous for the birds.

What is your plan? And what would you do with the chicks? Also, Do you know how to hand feed?
id keep the chicks, raise them but i guess its to soon thinking about all this, maybe after a few years after i gained more experience ill think about it again.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes I would agree that is a wise choice. Especially whilst you are improving your birds diet. When they are eating better and not just seeds, then wait a good 6 months at least before considering mating them.
Healthy hens make healthy chicks.

If you are serious about breeding, use the time wisely to learn from your friends brother - see if he can teach you to hand feed.

It is also important to make sure your birds are not too old. When birds reach a certain age, even though they can physically breed, they produce chicks that have more health issues. And so it is not advised.

Just remember it is a big commitment to breed birds, physically, emotionally and financially. If you breed birds and it is neither of those three then you are doing it wrong.

Fhossain2009

Real Name
Fatma
Yes I would agree that is a wise choice. Especially whilst you are improving your birds diet. When they are eating better and not just seeds, then wait a good 6 months at least before considering mating them.
Healthy hens make healthy chicks.

If you are serious about breeding, use the time wisely to learn from your friends brother - see if he can teach you to hand feed.

It is also important to make sure your birds are not too old. When birds reach a certain age, even though they can physically breed, they produce chicks that have more health issues. And so it is not advised.

Just remember it is a big commitment to breed birds, physically, emotionally and financially. If you breed birds and it is neither of those three then you are doing it wrong.
i agree with you, i might have rushed a bit, but with the handfeeding part, one of the store owners of a petshop i trust said that i don't need to hand feed them at a very young age unless the parents passed away or are unable to feed them, when the chicks get old enough that they leave the nest and eat the food that the parents eat then i could separate it and hand feed it safely from my hand (its hard explaining it in english, i hope you understood what i meant)

but as you said, ill wait until my birds are used to the diet and learn more about what i need to do. thank you for bearing with me :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was thinking this same thing. Leave the breeding to experienced, ethical breeders. Why do you even want to bring more birds into this world where there are so many that need homes??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but as you said, ill wait until my birds are used to the diet and learn more about what i need to do. thank you for bearing with me :)
I think that is for the best. It is good you are asking questions and taking advice.

You know, recently one of my chicks who was born the 22nd December, was rejected at 5 days (27th december) old by his parents. So when I found him with no food in his crop, I had to feed right then and there in the moment, no time to lose.

I am still hand feeding him due to him growing slowly. 9 weeks and 1 day. Up until a couple of days ago I was feeding him 4 times a day!

I work from home, but if I was at school or a normal job, I would have had a big problem.
Please remember this when you reconsider in a year. You may make a plan, but you cannot control what actually happens.

Fhossain2009

Real Name
Fatma
I think that is for the best. It is good you are asking questions and taking advice.

You know, recently one of my chicks who was born the 22nd December, was rejected at 5 days (27th december) old by his parents. So when I found him with no food in his crop, I had to feed right then and there in the moment, no time to lose.

I am still hand feeding him due to him growing slowly. 9 weeks and 1 day. Up until a couple of days ago I was feeding him 4 times a day!

I work from home, but if I was at school or a normal job, I would have had a big problem.
Please remember this when you reconsider in a year. You may make a plan, but you cannot control what actually happens.
omg, i hope the chick is healthy. and i didn't really think of it that way. i read that if someone decides to handfeed the chick's crop should never be fully empty , its really sweet of you to take action right away.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
omg, i hope the chick is healthy. and i didn't really think of it that way. i read that if someone decides to handfeed the chick's crop should never be fully empty , its really sweet of you to take action right away.
It is not because I´m sweet. If the chicks don´t eat they die, quick. You don´t have a choice, feed it or it dies.
My plan was to take the chicks at 25+- days (these are lovebirds so different ages to other birds). But you see, even though I made the plan, it was not meant to be.
And even after feeding the chick from a small age, he then grew slowly, meaning I had to handfeed for longer. Normally lovebirds wean 6-7 weeks so the total should have been 3-4 weeks of hand feeding not 9 and counting.

I live in a foreign country (to me), speaking a language that is not my own. My birds and my boyfriend are my only family here. In January, whilst the hen should have been caring for the chicks, my mum flew to see me and brought my little 2 year old nephew, and I had to cancel many plans with them. Adelie (my chick) was just 11 days old, and it was crucial he was fed every couple of hours. That chick came before anyone else.

I hope you understand what I am saying? It doesn´t always go to plan, and we can´t always decide how we want to proceed.
You have to be open to all outcomes, before breeding.

Fhossain2009

Real Name
Fatma
It is not because I´m sweet. If the chicks don´t eat they die, quick. You don´t have a choice, feed it or it dies.
My plan was to take the chicks at 25+- days (these are lovebirds so different ages to other birds). But you see, even though I made the plan, it was not meant to be.
And even after feeding the chick from a small age, he then grew slowly, meaning I had to handfeed for longer. Normally lovebirds wean 6-7 weeks so the total should have been 3-4 weeks of hand feeding not 9 and counting.

I live in a foreign country (to me), speaking a language that is not my own. My birds and my boyfriend are my only family here. In January, whilst the hen should have been caring for the chicks, my mum flew to see me and brought my little 2 year old nephew, and I had to cancel many plans with them. Adelie (my chick) was just 11 days old, and it was crucial he was fed every couple of hours. That chick came before anyone else.

I hope you understand what I am saying? It doesn´t always go to plan, and we can´t always decide how we want to proceed.
You have to be open to all outcomes, before breeding.
yeah i understand, thank you for sharing experience , and ill make sure to expect the unexpected and thank you for sharing you advise with me, ill be sure to follow as many as possible.