• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating with Toy Aggression

nimbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy
Nimbus is a white-faced cockatiel believed to be a he as he was very vocal and mates a lot. He flew to my house around February this year and I have kept him since I could not find his owner. He looked happy and lived well with my family at that time.

We decided to get him a 3-month-old friend, Sunny, in April. Nimbus has become aggressive ever since and seems to be protective over his little friend, but not anything severe.
I was told Sunny was a female by the seller but she is now more vocal than Nimbus so I'm skeptical she is a male. However, her feather wasn't fully molted yet.

Recently, he starts becoming territorial in multiple dark corners in my house and starts mating with an object on top of a cabinet. Often when I walk past the cabinet, about three meters away, he attacks me all of sudden. He also attacks me when I am further away from the house from time to time. I barely have a day without his bites on my hand :sad1:.

I tried positive punishment, putting him in his cage after he attacked for a few weeks but he did not seem to be better; I wonder if it works.
I didn't change a thing since I got Sunny. Is aggression comes from his friend? I desperately want him to be happy again :sad1:.

I would love to have suggestions from you all. Thank you in advance!

tempImageEGeBrU.jpg
Nimbus and Sunny respectively!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The hiding in dark places is cavity seeking worth having a read of the following.

I had a similar experience with one of my conures and done the following.
Blocked access to all dark cavitys.
Increased amount of darkness during the night from 12 to 14/15.
Stopped feeding soft warm food also as this can encourage hormonal behaviour.

Returning a bird to a cage when its getting up to no good is not really advisable its cage should be a safe place, as you have found this doesnt really work.

Can you call the bird to your hand for a treat ?

If you need to move him and he is biting then use a perch to move him.
I would remove what he is mating with to stop this behaviour.

I cant give you any specific info on keeping two of this species together though sorry.

@Sodapop&Co.

nimbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy
The hiding in dark places is cavity seeking worth having a read of the following.

I had a similar experience with one of my conures and done the following.
Blocked access to all dark cavitys.
Increased amount of darkness during the night from 12 to 14/15.
Stopped feeding soft warm food also as this can encourage hormonal behaviour.

Returning a bird to a cage when its getting up to no good is not really advisable its cage should be a safe place, as you have found this doesnt really work.

Can you call the bird to your hand for a treat ?

If you need to move him and he is biting then use a perch to move him.
I would remove what he is mating with to stop this behaviour.

I cant give you any specific info on keeping two of this species together though sorry.

@Sodapop&Co.
Thank you so much.

No, I cannot call him for a treat. I'm not sure what he really like as a treat either, as one day he likes millets, the other day he's not. He also doesn't usually like petting as well :(

I tried removing the object and his aggression kind of reduces so far.
I'm also trying all the suggestions above. To be updated! Thank you again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
he starts becoming territorial in multiple dark corners in my house
Definitely block access to anyu small nooks and other dark spaces.

starts mating with an object on top of a cabinet. Often when I walk past the cabinet, about three meters away, he attacks me all of sudden.
Remove the item and block access to the top of the cabinet - fill it with duvets or boxes or something.

I tried positive punishment, putting him in his cage after he attacked
This generally doesn´t work. It will teach the bird that biting is ok and so it continues.

The link Wardy gave explains the behaviour very well :)