• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating Practices?

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
So, I'm asking for a friend because i've never had more than one bird at once. She has 2 parakeets who she is attempting to breed and there are a few behaviors we're both kind of ogling at. So is it normal for the female to go on the male's back? and the male always keeps the female at arms length otherwise he attacks her but not very violently I think. They have participating in other mating behaviors, but are both a bit young (1 1/2 and 2 years old) so is it part of that? the female is ready to mate but the male seems to be keeping her at arms length.

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
I can't upload the pictures, but I believe one has a very brown cere and the other has a light brown cere

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That sounds like two females. But we have had a few male budgies here that had their cere turn brown.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Without photos we can say a darker crusty cere is female. A blue cere is male.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A male could also have a pink/violet cere depending on its mutation. A female's cere can be a pale tan or pale (baby) blue if she's not in breeding condition. Hence the request for photos.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm asking for a friend
Tell your friend to make an account (it´s free ;) ) and come chat. I´m sure someone will be able to help sexing these birds with some clear photos.

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
AHHH! I've told her that and given her links here so many times! I'll do my best to try to talk her into making an account so she can upload photos ;)