• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating behaviour cag

Claire23

Moving in
Real Name
Claire
I am looking for any helpful tips regarding mating behaviour. I rescued a Congo African grey almost 3 weeks ago, we were told he is male but no dna test to actually prove this. I am the only one that feeds him and changes his water and cleans his cage and I’m at the bottom of his favourite list sometimes I’m sure he gives me evil looks and turns his head quick if I dare talk to him . The thing I need any help or advice on is his mating behaviour and if there is anything to stop this or at least calm the situation. I have tried offering toys, talking to him, offering food but all his interested in is my husband and displaying mating behaviour towards him, he follows him around the house even to point my husband was in the bath and the parrot climbed the stairs to get to him. As soon as he sees my husband he is making this noise, wings drop and trying to feed him and he won’t give up. We have read that as soon as he does this to put him back on his cage for time out but he seems to get himself in such a state from it.

thanks ☺

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our CAG is bonded to my husband to the point he can no longer handle her. She gets aroused quickly just sitting next to him & then bites him hard. She allows me to handle her as long as I don't try to pet her.

CAG's breeding season is usually October-December, but can vary. During those months it may be best if you limit his out of cage time & try to ignore any contact mating calls. He'll get used to being in his cage. CAG's breed when the days are shorter/darker. You can try adding more light for longer hours. I'm guessing his previous owner(s) were male. Parrots tend to bond to either a male or female owner, but generally not both. Only pet his head, neck, beak & feet. Even then, especially during breeding season, this can arouse him. Avoid feeding warm soft foods during this time. Try to do forage feeding, so he has to work for his food. That'll use up some of his frustration. CAG's are extremely smart, so work with words & relate them to items or actions. They like everything to be explained to them, like you would a small child. Example: Our CAG has a set of baby stacking cups. You can put food in them & stack them, so they have to un-stack to get the food. She likes to toss them out onto the floor, so I have to pick them up. If I tell her not to toss them out she won't. She also puts the smaller ones in her water & food dishes. The dishes/crocks pull out from the outside of the cage. So when you go to feed & water the cups are stuck in the dishes & you can't get the dish/crock out. I just tell her she has to take them out or no food & water. She removes them. As I said they are super smart. My B&G Macaw does the same thing.

Claire23

Moving in
Real Name
Claire
Our CAG is bonded to my husband to the point he can no longer handle her. She gets aroused quickly just sitting next to him & then bites him hard. She allows me to handle her as long as I don't try to pet her.

CAG's breeding season is usually October-December, but can vary. During those months it may be best if you limit his out of cage time & try to ignore any contact mating calls. He'll get used to being in his cage. CAG's breed when the days are shorter/darker. You can try adding more light for longer hours. I'm guessing his previous owner(s) were male. Parrots tend to bond to either a male or female owner, but generally not both. Only pet his head, neck, beak & feet. Even then, especially during breeding season, this can arouse him. Avoid feeding warm soft foods during this time. Try to do forage feeding, so he has to work for his food. That'll use up some of his frustration. CAG's are extremely smart, so work with words & relate them to items or actions. They like everything to be explained to them, like you would a small child. Example: Our CAG has a set of baby stacking cups. You can put food in them & stack them, so they have to un-stack to get the food. She likes to toss them out onto the floor, so I have to pick them up. If I tell her not to toss them out she won't. She also puts the smaller ones in her water & food dishes. The dishes/crocks pull out from the outside of the cage. So when you go to feed & water the cups are stuck in the dishes & you can't get the dish/crock out. I just tell her she has to take them out or no food & water. She removes them. As I said they are super smart. My B&G Macaw does the same thing.
Thank you I will try leaving him in his cage more and see if that works