• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mate-Surrogate Toys

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hard to be tactful about this...Bender has decided that those little plastic maracas make good mates, and uses them frequently to get his birdy jollies. Doesn't matter if it's a foot toy or part of a hanging toy - if it's a maraca he's on it.

I know that in general it's good to discourage hormonal behavior, so have considered taking them away. At the same time, I wondered if it provides a good outlet for at least some of his frustrations. Should I keep them around? He also likes to regurg on some of his other hanging toys, especially fleece or leather. Should I keep those around?

I feel like I have a 13-yo boy in the house!!! He's pretty much a perma-toddler in terms of general destructiveness, but now we've added hormones and parental awkwardness on my part! At least I don't have to have "the talk" with him like you would a kid!

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I agree with not supporting the mating behaviour, birds can get close to toys and I wouldn't want to risk my bird getting mad at me and over protective over his toys at me. Try to keep Bender distracted and give him lots of other stimulating things like foragers for him to use.
Hope it all goes well for the both of you!:thumbsup: