• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Masturbation in Parrots

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Despite the class being taught some people has huge issues with sexuality and sex. And while it may be one thing to talk about in humans it may lead to a painful discussion for a teacher regarding animal sex because that usually leads to people being stupid and bringing up beastiality - especially if they are devout. I’m pretty sure it’s forbidden in every religion. (Beastiality-not talking about sex in the wild kingdom lol) :shrug:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Thats an interesting theory you have here. I would be surprised for it to be the case though, since he's a pretty hardcore anti-what-religions-try-to-make-you-believe-god-aside, not afraid to say his opinion on everything and anything and make sex jokes with us as well. No one budges and a few students are religious I think, but very few. I believe I go to one of the most sex accepting schools in North America, to be honest lol (I'm in Montreal, Canada). He doesn't even believe incest is wrong at its roots since animals do it when absolutely needed and the only danger is genetic weaknesses. But hey, who knows. I think he thought I was speaking about all animals because I only gave parrots as an example, and/or he was afraid of me having read this in a misinformed article. He's a big myth-buster, but I guess his brain might've been having a moment at the time since I believe he may be hyperactive or have an attention deficit as he's always changing subjects xD

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like this guy is thoroughly uneducated.

Only humans and monkeys and domestic animals are suited to breed all year around?

Besides birds, I can list an entire page of animals that go into esterus every week for their entire lives.

Only humans and larger greater primates masturbate?

Sorry but... I'd question your teachers degree. He is wrong. Dead dead wrong.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is your teacher just (correctly or not) being pedantic about the difference between masturbation and copulation? What I see my birds do is attempted copulation, not masturbation. So in his pedantic mind we are wrong. He could be right you know.
There now follows a recording of a male budgie attempting to seduce and copulate with my mobile phone - not masturbate.
Vocaroo | Voice message

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm interesting concept Linden.

Although I see my Sydney display mating behaviour towards his duck and his colourful ball, yet wanders off and bonks the boing instead of mount the duck or the ball.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Thanks for the links!!

Sounds like this guy is thoroughly uneducated.

Only humans and monkeys and domestic animals are suited to breed all year around?

Besides birds, I can list an entire page of animals that go into esterus every week for their entire lives.

Only humans and larger greater primates masturbate?

Sorry but... I'd question your teachers degree. He is wrong. Dead dead wrong.
Yeah I'm questioning both him and wether or not I understood him well right now haha! He actually doesn't have a degree in biology of sexuality, it's just a complementary class, his degree is in environmental biology.

Is your teacher just (correctly or not) being pedantic about the difference between masturbation and copulation? What I see my birds do is attempted copulation, not masturbation. So in his pedantic mind we are wrong. He could be right you know.
There now follows a recording of a male budgie attempting to seduce and copulate with my mobile phone - not masturbate.
Vocaroo | Voice message
Hmmm... Very interesting and important point indeed! :chin:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A consideration with our companion birds, they have access to proper diet and water year round. In a wild setting birds must wait for the correct conditions, a specific flower or seed etc. When the conditions are correct the bird's hormones are encouraged. This is how laying chickens can be manipulated by light to lay all year. If kept under natural lighting and weather, chickens will typically lay less in the winter and really hot summers, chickens also typically won't lay when it is rainy.

When we provide our birds with ideal conditions year round, they aren't as dependent on a heavy rain to start breeding in the case of say a wild budgie.

Masturbation is witnessed by a wide range of animals, I am surprised your instructor wanted it to be so cleanly cut and dry. To say that is how it is, shuts down the curiosity that he could be wrong. A good scientist would consider the possibility that something can be understood differently through proper study.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I don’t care how sexually enlightened someone is or their teaching environment. They can’t wrap their mind around animals having sex or having sex-like behavior because it conflicts with their basic notion that it’s “inhuman.” I noticed that your teacher only used human or human-like (primates) examples. To me it shows me that he definitely has some issues with animal sex. Anti-religion doesn’t equate anti-moral or prudishness lol.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
A consideration with our companion birds, they have access to proper diet and water year round. In a wild setting birds must wait for the correct conditions, a specific flower or seed etc. When the conditions are correct the bird's hormones are encouraged. This is how laying chickens can be manipulated by light to lay all year. If kept under natural lighting and weather, chickens will typically lay less in the winter and really hot summers, chickens also typically won't lay when it is rainy.

When we provide our birds with ideal conditions year round, they aren't as dependent on a heavy rain to start breeding in the case of say a wild budgie.

Masturbation is witnessed by a wide range of animals, I am surprised your instructor wanted it to be so cleanly cut and dry. To say that is how it is, shuts down the curiosity that he could be wrong. A good scientist would consider the possibility that something can be understood differently through proper study.

I don’t care how sexually enlightened someone is or their teaching environment. They can’t wrap their mind around animals having sex or having sex-like behavior because it conflicts with their basic notion that it’s “inhuman.” I noticed that your teacher only used human or human-like (primates) examples. To me it shows me that he definitely has some issues with animal sex. Anti-religion doesn’t equate anti-moral or prudishness lol.
I'm super late, but you guys are right, I was really shocked by his answer, shutting down the possibility. I'll keep him in check :bignono::horse: