• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Massive amounts of gratitude to AA members who share their tips and tricks

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Celebrate with me! I’ve been working with my sweet birbs on target training. It’s been going well and I learned how to do that here. Okay, I’d like to harness train my birbs...no more accidental outings...I’ve been super lucky when this happened before. Gus and Max both recoiled in terror when I first showed them the harnesses. My challenge lay before me. I’ve been using the harness in the training routine, or draping it over my body. I gradually replaced their target stick with the harness every now and then. Gussy is so easy going, that he touched it with his beak no problem. Max was still jittery until the other day. He was watching Gus and wanting to play along and get a seed treat. I had been handing him the treat and praising him when he’s gotten near the harness. I’m trying to increase their comfort with it. This session Gus beaks it and gets seeds and praise. And, to my great joy, Max timidly beaked the harness for the first time. :cheer: I was overjoyed and tried not to overwhelm him with my enthusiasm. We played our little targeting game for two more times and he was getting bolder with his beaking!
Now, how to get it nearer their bodies and eventually on them....:hmmm:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Now, how to get it nearer their bodies and eventually on them....:hmmm:
With plenty of time. They are going in the right direction - eventually they will be a little braver with it. You can introduce it like a game, and loop it over the neck and take it off (give treat), that is the hardest bit.
Have you watched the aviator video?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you are making excellent progress. I have good success when I play and have fun with something while almost ignoring my bird. He absolutely can’t stand being left out and then he just has to get in on the fun.