• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mash instead of chop

8BitGhost

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
So when I first got 8-Bit (linnie, got at weaning age, is now about 2yo) I was super into making her little "salads" but she was never very interested in much other than broccoli. Everything else would hit the cage floor :laughing2: ... Then I tried making a chop, but we couldn't stand the smell and, honestly, she didn't really have any interest in it. When I went to get Taro (other linnie) the shop owners gave me a bit of a questionnaire to ensure he was going to a good home and one thing they asked about was what veggies I feed them. At that point I had pretty much given up and just been giving her broccoli and some peas and corn (on top of pellets and seeds of course) and when I admitted that, they actually told me sweet potato is a huge one for linnies, super important!

Now their veggies are so easy! I just get a sweet potato, cook it, mash it, then mix in random things (I try to make it different every time to keep it interesting for them -- parsley, cilantro, peas, carrots, corn, broccoli, kale, spinach, sometimes a hot pepper, oats, quinoa, rice... usually 3 or 4 of those things) and I mush that into an ice cube tray, wrap it and freeze it! Then every second day they get a cube, thawed (sometimes still a lil frozen, they like their "ice cream!") It's so easy! :laugh: Amazing how they sometimes pick the easy route for us. Sometimes. :laughing2:

8BitGhost

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
Replying to my own post to say two things:

I thought of posting this cause I was making the mash for this round, and this round is a cilantro one and it smells so good! I'm jealous. Other mix-ins this round are corn, peas, zucchini, broccoli, kale. (The latter 3 come in a pre-super-finely-diced form)

Also, I don't think I said anywhere... yes, they (and specifically little Miss Picky) do really enjoy this stuff and eat every last bit! They'll even hunt down whatever falls to the floor and not through the grate. :laugh:

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
That's a great idea!:goodjob: