• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

marking baby conures

teresa A Vigil

Moving in
Real Name
teresa vigil
help! i have one gcc and one pinapple gcc and they had babies, the babies are being given away to good homes ( im not a breeder) and now the 3 babies all look like dad and its stressing me that i might accidently give away the dad, how can i mark them without clipping wings or banding ( i do not approve of ) any help we used food die on one chest but its not super practical...any suggestion would be awesome

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Gosh, that's a tough one. Maybe berry or beet stain on the tail feathers? Those don't get molted very often, but I'm not sure how long the dyed feathers would stay that color.

Maybe the food dye would stay longer on the tail.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Or maybe clip just one feather somewhere noticeable if you have no dye that will work safely? Safe non toxic texta marker of some sort to color in a leg?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Once the chicks are weaned, put them in a cage next to the parents. Make sure the chicks are eating on their own for *AT LEAST* two weeks prior to finding them new homes.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I work at a bird store and we use non-toxic Crayola markers to identify chicks that aren't banded. We will often get a batch of cockatiels that look very similar to each other so we need a way to identify birds that are sold, but not yet ready to go home. The mark stays through the first molt and being under the wing it doesn't distract from their outer feathers. I don't band my own chicks, but I pull them at 14 - 21 days for hand feeding. As they sell, I start separating them into individual cages so they don't get mixed up before they go home.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Being the paranoid person that I am, how about just snipping a bit off the end of dad's tail?