• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March/April 2013 Mayor of the Avenue..... Audrey (roxynoodle)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so please to announce Audrey (roxynoodle) as March/April's Mayor of the Avenue.
We are fortunate to have her on the Avenue! She is a wonderful neighbor and asset to our community :heart:

I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!
:marlenesmile:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?
I have a Nanday conure named Rowdy who will be 13 next month. She is the only one I've had since she was a baby. I also adopted 2 other parrots. Pete is a Yellow Crowned Amazon at least 30 years old. He is wild caught so I will never know his actual age. My third bird is a Congo African Grey named Miss Merlin, who is 22 years old.

2. What got you interested in birds?
My parents bought their first bird right before I was born. My mom told my dad she was lonely when she left work to go on pregnancy leave with me and told him she wanted a pretty yellow bird. They bought a lutino budgie named Cricket. I've never actually known a life without birds. He is on me in most of my baby pictures. He had free flight in their apartment.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?
My birds and other animals are everything to me. I never had human children so they truly are my babies and companions.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?
Kindness, compassion, patience, a good sense of humor, and that animals truly are intelligent, thinking beings (we are perhaps not as unique as some like to think).

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

There are so many, but one that stands out was Briana, my dearly departed Blue Crown conure, yelling to the plumbers when they went into the bathroom to turn on the water, "Are you going pee?" I was having a new well drilled that day. I swear they thought it was me!

6. Where is your birds main living area?
Right now they live in what I call my front room, but I am currently remodeling the downstairs bedroom for them. This will be an improvement for all of us I think as it allows more room for large cages and play areas.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I had to move several pieces of furniture out of my front room as I added birds, and rearranged the room to make it more accommodating to their needs (for example, moving Merlin's cage closer to the couch because of her near blindness). Of course their play stands and boings and other items have invaded the room as well. And now I'm doing the bird room remodel for them. I've always had stainless steel cookware as that is what my mother used as well with our family birds, so at least I didn't have to do things like replace all of that like many have.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?
Aside from participating on AA, no I'm not.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Right now if I could only choose one, a large Java tree for Pete in particular. He is still afraid of my PVC Parrot Towers and ropes. I know he would like a natural tree. He has started touching the Parrot Tower though so his fears of things actually made for birds is fading.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

My dream bird has always been a Greenwing Macaw. For different reasons I've chosen not to have one, but admit I still dream about it.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.
They wake up at 9 and eagerly attack breakfast. Merlin LOVES breakfast so it is about 10 before she is finished and then the birds come out until 1pm. At that time we have lunch and I work on other things like house cleaning or yard work until about 4pm. Then they want their afternoon snack of Nutriberries. They come out again until about 7:30, at which time I prepare their dinner and my own. About 9pm they ask for more Nutriberries as a bedtime snack and finish their pellets and are in bed at 10pm. I make sure they each get some one on one time with me during their times out.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I don't think this will come as any surprise to those here who have owned birds for some length of time, but I think it's important to provide good nutrition, practice good husbandry, provide enrichment and especially as much companionship to your birds as you can.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?
Oh, our first budgies had very poor diets and their toys were not exactly great either. I suspect they only lived as long as they did because they ate dinner with our family every night (getting fresh foods), and we spent hours playing with them each evening. They also had dowel rod perches and a big, cylindrical cage. Avian vets were pretty much unheard of. My last budgie did live to be 16 and I'm certain that was due to my learning more about nutrition and enrichment.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I like to do home remodeling, build primitive looking furniture, work in my rose gardens, play guitar and work on art. I also love riding my motorcycle and use it for transportation whenever weather allows. I used to be heavily into competing in eventing with my horses, but my illness prevents that now. My horses and I are now retired but we have wonderful memories.

15. Anything else you would like to share?
Just that I love being part of the AA community and am deeply honored with this award

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations Audrey! That was a great interview! Matt

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
A HUGE HUGE HUGE congrats Audrey, you so deserve this award, you're such an amazing, caring and kind person :heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Congratulations!! :dance4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:giveme5: Woot! Go Audrey! :cheer: :cheer: :ygg:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Congrats Audrey! Great choice :dance4:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well done! Love the interview!

Tigra

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Wendy
:bounce4: Congrats Audrey. You so deserve this award. I also loved your interview :dance4::dance4:

Last edited:

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Hi Audrey, Congrats! I loved hearing your story and learning about your birds! :heart:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Thanks everyone! I told my birds they earned it since they were my teachers :)

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations Audrey, you've more than earned the award. Have some dancing bananas too. :D:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You so deserve this award. We are blessed to have you here.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations!! Very well deserved!

Status
Not open for further replies.