• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March 2017 Mayor of the Avenue... Newbie GCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Newbie GCC is March's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

2 Green cheek conures, Rhoma, est. 5 yrs old, Rhema, est. 4 yrs old, and Ernie the Senegal, est. 13 yrs old

2. What got you interested in birds?

I have always been fascinated with birds. I had a cockatiel right after I got married, Baby. He was so very jealous when my first child was born, I had to rehome him for his own happiness and our safety. With 2 very active boys who were very into sports, there really was no time to invest in another bird. Then the boys became adults and here I am!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Lots of love, entertainment, patience, peace, and MESSES!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

So much! Mess can be cleaned and worth the time if your birds are happy, try and try again (as in those veggies they don't like the first they taste them, that toy they run from that you spent half a day making, that trick you are trying to get them to do that they act like they never did before), patience will be rewarded.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The most recent is the total transformation of Ernie's bad hormonal attitude when we moved him from the quarantine room into the living room with Rho, Rheems and the family! Not that he was horrible, but he is so very happy to be where the action is! He is really showing his personality and silliness now! Have you seen Ernie's Otis Redding impersonation? Guaranteed to put a smile on even Scrooge's face!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

For the moment they are in the small living room with 3 flight cages stuffed in it. There are plans to change the Pool room into a Bird room as soon as the oldest decides he is tired of living with Mom and Dad. Window large enough for all three cages to enjoy watching the back yard feeders!

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Did I ever! The way I cook, clean, arrange furniture, routines, decorations, I could go on, but most of us on AA know how many things change when you own feathered friends!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

AA of course! And there are several FB pages I am on and I started my own FB page for other parronts in my area. Brazos Valley Bird Owners.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An aviary or screened in porch. It is on my bucket list. Almost have Hubs convinced we need one.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Hyacinth macaw! They are so beautiful and intelligent! If Tiko and Cha are ever left in my presence without Macawnutz close supervision........let's just say she knows where to look to find them!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I get up between 4 and 5 am, drink my coffee, prep the birdie breakfasts and daily foraging items, get ready for work and wake them about 7. Feed and water, clean up the newspapers, give them their goodies and kisses, off to work I go.
Work until 5 or so, pull into the driveway and hear them all go crazy because Mom's home! Change out food and water for everyone, let one out to hang out with me while I do dishes or whatever else needs to be done. I try to give equal time to all of them. None can be out together, though. Rho and Rheems tend to fight if given too much together time. Ernie is still "new" and they have not been allowed to be out with him just yet. He is so much bigger and it scares me he may hurt them, especially since it is hormone season and he has already shown us his hormones rage when he attacked Hubs ear because he didn't want to go back to his cage.
Start covering back half of their cages about 8:30pm, give them all one last treat before bed, clean up the toys, floors, wipe down bars and perches, they all get night-night head scritches and kisses as I cover the front of the cages and turn off lights between 9 and 9:30 pm.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

No 2 are alike. They are as different as humans with personality, likes, dislikes, triggers, hormones. But once you earn their trust and they show you their love, it is heavenly!!

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have kept my cockatiel and worked with her more. I would have had other birds through all the years. There is just so much love to be had that was missed out on.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Furniture repainting, football (watching, not playing), going to the coast, spending time with my boys, and of course spending WAY too much money on the fids!

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Avian Avenue was, is and always will be an invaluable source of learning! Everyone here was so great in helping me learn all the changes in bird care since I had Baby Bird and I am so grateful that I found you all. Y'all even helped me and many others with some tough personal issues. I know I have not been on very much lately, but work is pretty demanding lately and I am still getting acclimated to having the new routine of 3 birds.
Even a bird with a bad rap can show love and be loved if you earn their trust and learn how your bird likes to be loved, observe them, learn them, talk to them. There are no stupid questions so ask for advice, I stink at these questions after I read them again to myself, and finally.....Crazy Bird Lady (CBL) and Multiple Bird Syndrome (MBS) are real, but not necessarily bad.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:congrats5: It was great reading about your flock. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Congratulations - you are a great member.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: I really enjoyed your interview!!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
:bounce7::bounce7::bounce7:

Hope one of your official duties is posting more vids of Ernie dancing!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats! Will look for video after work

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Thanks y'all! I am so excited! I couldn't have done it without all the wonderful members of AA and their support!

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
So awesome! Lovely interview! Congrats! :congratualtions:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award