• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures March 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight - Animallover03!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
March 2017 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower::starshower::starshower:
I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member
@Animallover03 (Audrey)

:congrats5:

Bedroom Setup
FEH-01.JPG
(Please excuse the kinda messy room- it was late and I didn't want to clean it)

FEH-02.JPG

FEH-03.JPG
(Giving me the cheekie stink eye)

FEH-04.JPG
Cage top

FEH-05.JPG
DIY playstand/foot toy basket (he likes it a lot)
1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

I have a green cheek Conure, and my setup is for one bird. :heart:
FEH-06Grumbles.JPG
2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

Nope.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?

A main one I would say is to look for deals. Especially with the more expensive things this is a huge money saver. For example I found my cage for almost half off, because I looked around for a deal.
Another thing I would say is consider what your bird really needs. I know how hard it is to keep from buying everything for your AO/T4W (also really love Danita's stuff). Anything else I have bought from the pet place I got Grumbles, as they have nice quality toys and perches.
For toy parts I have ordered from CABN, and they have quality items as well. I also bought from the local pet place. I definitely want to order from more of our vendors soon.
:)

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

Well, large scale would be the cage, his cage is awesome and I would totally recommend it.
Small scale would definitely be SS skewers. I got mine from the Parrot shop, and both Grumbles and I love them. I like how easy it is to provide a variety of toys, with that one base. I have ordered a ton of skewer refill packs, just because I love them haha.
One last thing is the office mat under Grumbles cage- it is an absolute carpet (and life) saver.

Itz Grumbles here, I love dis:
FEH-07Grumbles.JPG
7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird's favorite and were there any failures?

I have only made a few so far, with very little success. Grumbles has a very specific taste however, so I have to really try if I want him to like it.
Here are two he has enjoyed.

FEH-08.JPG
FEH-09.JPG
(This one was inspired by @WeasleyLover)

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?

I don't really have any specific foraging toys, but I do have one or two with foraging opportunities. Grumbles isn't a huge forager, I feel like that is mostly because when he was a baby he wasn't introduced to that.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Being a minor, it is often hard having a bird. Sometimes when I want to buy stuff for Grumbles setup, I can't because either I don't want to use the money I am trying to save, or my parents won't let me. I don't spend a lot of my money, but when I do it is usually on Grumbles :lol:
Another difficulty was getting the dang cage put together. There were literally no instructions, and something that should have taken me maybe 30 minutes took me over two hours. And also they gave me the wrong sized Allen wrench, so my fingers were very sore and I had a few broken fingernails. Another was they sent me a cage front with a missing bar, but they sent a replacement when we emailed them.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?

Hmm- the only thing I would say is that Grumbles doesn't have his own space. Yeah he has his cage, but it is in my room, which makes it difficult sometimes. I have to be very quiet when he goes to bed, he often wakes me up earlier than I would like (on weekends), etc. Also my walls are light blue, which don't go well with chop flung on the walls. :hehe:

He also likes to (attempt to) chew on WIP artwork..:cautious:
FEH-10.JPG
11~ What do you like most about your setup?

That I can easily spend time with my bird. Even if I am in the room, and doing something while he is on my shoulder, we are still together. Other than that I like almost everything about my setup.

12~ Did your bird take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?

Grumbles was a bit wary for a few days, but he adjusted fairly quickly. He was also younger, which did help.

13~ Any future renovations planned?

We are planning on adopting a second bird when our basement is finished, which would probably be this summer. That is about it! :heart:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congrats5:

I enjoyed reading about you and Grumbles. You have a nice set up!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Lovely set up and important tips. I have been thinking about getting some SS skewers to make toys. It is great to see Grumbles. He looks happy and healthy (that grumpy stink eye isn't fooling anyone, LOL)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: I loved reading your interview! Grumbles is a cutie too, and so like very your set up!