• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March 2012 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ Marian (Marian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:starshower: I am so happy to announce that March 2012's Feathered Estates highlight is Marian (Marian)! She has not allowed the challenge of living in a small apartment to stop her from making sure her beloved Hiram and Tara have an exciting, fun and safe place to play and forage in. Marian's awesome setup venue is for a Living-room Setup. :laughing12:
:yah: :dance4: :bounce7:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have two birds now.The setup originally was just for Hiram. I just keep adding on as we go along. When Tara joined the family we expanded.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No it isn't.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Well I am on a fixed income now....so that all played into the setup. I love to experiment with DIY things. DIY has saved quite a bit of money also. I am also very thankful to have been sent some nice things for both birds. This really helped in the setup also.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
Well mine is pretty changeable. Everything is on wheels and portable.The only thing that isn't is Hirams tree stand. That is put into a christmas tree stand. It's not all that fancy but he does enjoy it.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
For Hiram's stand, I had a magnolia branch brought in. Then added branches to that.The one large stand is actually a clothing rack. I wrapped rope 1" around the bars. Then I added wicker baskets on the ends filled with foot toys. I also added the atom to the upper bar.Then added a thick 1" highway from the upper bar to the smaller stand to the sliding windows. I try to keep things busy as I can for both since hanging things and putting too many holes in the apartment could be a major no-no. I also purchased wood for platform perches from Lowes. Both birds love their platforms even though Tara took about a week to get used to hers.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
Yes, I would say all the smaller stands helped make everything perfect. If I need to go into another room...I can easily wheel them in with me. My guys adore wicker so we go through alot of baskets.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
Favorites here, hands down, are foot toys. They really only consist of poly or cotton rope with a few beads to chew up. Failure was probably the swings I have done for Hiram. None have been a hit.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
Hiram is not a forager. I guess he is a bit spoiled. Tara loves her foraging toy. She loves trying to get her almonds out of it. Hiram could care less LOLOL.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
The difficulty I have is living in an apartment for the first time in my life. I have owned 4 homes. So things are not going to be same. That at first made me nervous. Hanging things from the ceiling isn't done and putting alot of holes in walls won't be happening either (though the maintenance man was going to try with the Atom but we decided not to for go that). So I hung it up on the Clothing rack. Tara loves it.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
Lets see, Hiram's stand isn't anything too pretty....but he loves it. Also, not being able to hang things from the ceiling. That's about it.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
How everything flows from stands to cage.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
They both took to it just fine.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
Yes, I have plans to add a few more things. As soon as I get more 1" rope there will be more highways. One day, way in the future, maybe a java tree and a small net. My living room now has become parrot cove LOL. But thats ok living alone because they are my family and entertainment.

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Nice interview!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great interview and wonderful set up!

Matt

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
that is fantastic Marian - you have created such an inviting play area - I love it!! :heart::thumbsup:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Great job and love your setup and fabies :hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
<<My living room now has become parrot cove LOL. But thats ok living alone because they are my family and entertainment.>>

Marian I love your setup and I love your attitude!:dancing::hug8::heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful :hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Awesome interview!! :highfive: Great setup! :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone:hug8:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Love the interview! Hiram & Tara have such a great set up! :thewave::loveit::loveshower:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:dance4::dance4: Awesome set up and interview!! Your birdies are very lucky!:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Very nice setup! :dancing:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Truthfully it's nothing fancy but it gives them plenty to do.:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
What a great job you have done for Hiram and Tara, and a great imagination to create all that you have!!

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
Great interview and set up! Your guys are like mine!! Gimme fooooooot toys!!! And the baskets made me chuckle, I felt like I was at my house! I love the flow of everything :)

Status
Not open for further replies.