• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March 2011 Mayor of the Avenue..... Brigid!! (Brigidt36)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Brigid (Brigidt36) as March's "Mayor of the Avenue" :)

She is an terrific person and an asset to the Avenue - please join me in welcoming her
:D

Brigid, I loved reading your interview and getting to know you and your fids better :heart:

1. What kind of birds do you have, age, species and names.

I have 4 birds:
~Max is a Yellow Nape Amazon who is going on 18 years old. He was supposedly 2 years old when I got him. I am his 2nd and forever home.
~Larry is a Blue Crown Conure, and my little old man being approximately 24 years old. He was around 7 y/o when he came into our family. He had 6 or so homes his first 7 years and I thank God everyday that he came into my life.
~Kiwi is a Senegal and almost 16 years old. I bought him from a pet store when he was about 8 months old. He’s quite the character and mama’s boy.
~Lil’ Pip, my Green Cheek Conure, is the ‘baby’ of the family, not only is he the smallest in the flock, he is also the youngest. He is going on 2 years old and my husband gave him to me for our 25 wedding anniversary.

None of my birds have been DNA sexed, but I call them my boys….

2. What got you interested in birds?

My grandmother had canaries when I was a toddler and they fascinated me. I’d sit and watch them at every opportunity, I loved listening to their little trills and songs. My aunt surprised me with my first bird, a budgie, when I was 5 years old (my mother was not a happy camper, lol). I named her Tina, after my favorite doll, Tina the Ballerina.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Joie de vivre. The carefree enjoyment of life. The beauty in life and the wonder of life. Love, laughter and the true meaning of trust and forgiveness. They never cease to amaze me and fascinate me. They have also brought all you wonderful friends from Avian Avenue into my life. My birds and I have benefited and learned so much from all of you. They have also given me a thirst for more knowledge. I want to learn and do everything I can to enrich their lives.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

~That my mother was right…..trust can be lost in a moment and it can take years to rebuild.
~That love, time and patience can heal wounds, whether physical, mental or emotional.
~That life is too short so live each day like it’s your last.
~You’re never too old to learn.
~To love unconditionally is the best gift you can give and to be loved, unconditionally is the best gift you can be given.
~Developing good observations skills, recognizing little subtleties and behaviors can aid in avoiding a nasty bite from your bird(s).

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The day Larry stepped up for me for the very first time. It took me 13 years to win his trust and the day he stepped up on my arm for the first time I broke down and cried. 13 years of leaving his cage door open praying he’d get the courage to venture out of his self imposed prison. 13 years of hiding my hands behind my back when talking to him. 13 years of feeling helpless as he cowered in the back corner of his cage, screaming while I cleaned and serviced his cage. Being patient, loving and accepting him how he is paid off. I still tear up on the days he decides to come out of his cage and he allows me to move him to his play stand or he trusts me enough to ride around on my shoulder.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

We turned our deck into a 4 Season room and made it the bird room. 3 sides are windows so they can enjoy looking outside at the back yard. The French doors and window allow them to view the main living area of the house so they can be a part of all the household activity. The door and blinds can also provide them with privacy when they need it.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, changes have been made. Adding the bird room was one of the changes. Bird proofing the house another. Adding play stands and play areas, getting rid of candles and non stick cookware, etc. Keeping ceiling fans turned off and outside doors locked when the fids are out of their cages.

My family and birds are also healthier due to all the positive changes made in all our diets. Most family meals are made with the fids in mind, since they are all such social guys and love to share meals with us.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Avian Avenue, of course ;). Moving into the neighborhood has been the best thing I’ve ever done for my birds and for myself.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A GINORMOUS, outside aviary, with trees and bushes and bird safe plants and flowers would be wonderful, where they could go and just be the birds they were born to be.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I don’t really have a dream of owning any one particular kind of bird. The dream I have is to one day be able have the time, money and space to open my home to birds in need, especially to Amazon’s who I believe are misunderstood and given up on too easily.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I get up, greet the birds as I take the dog outside to do his business and then stumble off to make coffee. I chat with the birds until the caffeine kicks in, then it’s off to shower and getting dressed.

Once dressed, I take frozen cubes of birdie mash out of the freezer, nuke it and scramble some eggs. Once the mash is nuked, I add a bit of scrambled eggs and sweet potato baby food to it and put it in the play stands bowls.

I then open Larry’s cage to invite him out (he decides if he’s coming out, not me), I open Max’s cage, talking to him softly and watching him carefully and if he isn’t doing any displaying other then pinning eyes (he always pins his eyes when he is excited about getting out of his cage and eating breakfast) I offer him my forearm to step up onto. He gets put on his play stand first. I go back for Kiwi and then for Lil’ Pip, getting Larry out as soon as he decides he wants to come out and play.

While the boys are out eating mash and then playing, I work on cages; changing paper, wiping down bars, washing bowls, hiding treats, putting in foraging toys, sweeping the floor and vacuuming the rug.

When the chores are done the radio gets cranked up and the birds and I start singing to country music at the top of our lungs. I dance around like an idiot and the birds seem to be entertained by this. We sing, and talk back and forth while I clean up the kitchen.

I take turns playing one on one with them and doing household chores with their ‘help’. When possible, they are out of their cages until it’s time to cook dinner. They get put back into their cages in reverse order; Pip, Kiwi, Larry and then Max. They eagerly go back into their cages to look for their hidden treats.

When supper is cleaned up they usually get to come out of their cages for some quiet time with me while I cruise AA and watch tv. This is my favorite time of the day. The boys are a wee bit less playful and lots more cuddly. Then it’s off to bed with kisses and lots of “night night”.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Being a parront is hard work, it’s also time consuming and expensive. And it is also very rewarding. For me the rewards far out weigh any personal sacrifices I have to make to accommodate my flocks needs.

Do your research before getting a bird, but also follow your heart. I was discouraged over and over again from getting an Amazon and I am so glad I didn’t listen to all my well meaning friends. I listened to my heart and my gut and jumped into the deep end without testing the water and what a leap of faith it was. What helped was knowing that no matter what happened this bird would always have a home with me.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Just about everything; more fresh veggies and fruit, no Walmart bird seed, bigger cages and varied perches, no scented candles or non stick cookware, wing clipping as a last resort, no forcing the bird in and out of the cage, enrichment activities, quarantine…..the list could go on and on.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to read. My favorite author is Nora Roberts/JD Robb and I buy her books as soon as they are released. I’ll read just about anything but I will put everything on hold so I can read her new book from cover to cover in the least amount of time as possible.

Cruising the Ave, of course.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Yes, first I’d like to thank you all for choosing me as Mayor this month. I really appreciate this opportunity you all have given me to share some of my life with you. I hope I didn’t bore anyone to tears.

I love everything about Avian Ave and all the wonderful neighbor’s that I’ve ‘met’. I have learned so much from each and everyone of you. Because of you all I am a much better parront and my birds are happier and healthier and have benefited greatly from your all’s knowledge and wisdom.

I have prayed with you, laughed with you, cried with you and rejoiced with you. Thank you, each and everyone of you, for making it a better world for our feathered friends.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations great interview :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woohoo! Congrats Brigid! Excellent interview! You so deserve it!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:yah:
What an excellent choice! Congratulations Brigid, that was a wonderful interview. I enjoyed reading about you and your flock!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:hug8::heart:
Congrats! So love learning more about you:dancing::highfive::laughing12:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: Wow!! What a great interview and a wonderful Mayor!!:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! That was a very nice interview.

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...wonderful wonderful interview...you are such a wonderful lady....:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::Congratwav::chipmunks:

Brigid! loved reading all about your life with your birds, could not have been given to a nicer person! Love reading your posts.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks everyone for your congratulations and for taking the time to read the interview. This took me totally by surprise and it's such an honor being the Mayor for March.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:dance4: Congratulations Brigid! :hug8:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Congratulations--I really enjoyed your answers. :)

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Brigid
Very big congratulations!!!!!
I want you to know that you have personally helped me with responses to questions I have had with my two Zons. Always encouraging and very helpful advice!
If anyone deserves this reward, it's you!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congratulations!
Great interview :)

Status
Not open for further replies.