• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March 2011 Feathered Estates Highlight Annaleza (Leza)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
We are happy to announce that our very first setup exhibit is from Leza (Annaleza)!

The highlight category for this month is 'Setups On a Budget'. Anna's setup exemplifies use of ingenuity over big bucks and the result is quite pleasing. Please feel free to ask any questions that may help you utilize some of her ideas. Thank you Annaleza for being our first volunteer. You did an awesome job!

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have 2 bronze wing pionus-Odin and Loki, a red belly- Baby, and a senegal-Peanut.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Shop around, don't always think it is the "only one" or the "only source". I find that some times even right across the street another store may have things cheaper. BUY BULK. especially toy parts. This will definitely save money in the long run. ASK, ASK, ASK! I am waiting for my dad to trim his grapefruit tree for the wood, ask around to neighbors or friends who might be trimming bird safe trees for some of their spare branches. I also asked a bird tree designer if she had spare trees for discount, she had a brand new tree that was wobbly, so she gave me the tree for 50 bucks instead of 180!!

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
Most everything is mobile, there are 3 permanent ceiling hooks in the room as of now that the birds can be moved to a certain "station" if need be.
Usually things will stay the same for at least 3 weeks.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
I buy toy parts usually from online sources, it's just cheaper to get it directly from a source than going into a store front where the prices are more than likely jacked up. I watch everyone's specials and when they have the pricier items discounted that I know I can't afford normally, it makes the purchase even more satisfying! Last home made project was a pvc gym, and most of those parts came from home depot or lowes.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
Right now its a piece of crazy manzanita with lots of perches on it, it is a ceiling hanger and the neatest looking thing! I think it only cost me about 18 dollars, and is definitely something that can be used in many different ways.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
Most favorite DIY's for the birds are usually the foot toys. Keeps them entertained for quite some time.
Mine don't like toy parts on SS skewers

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
Peanut, is my oldest(14 yo) and best forager. One of his favorite foraging toys is a rubber ball made as a foot toy for larger birds. He loves to get his nuts out of his foraging ball. Also use small tupperware containers for them to open up for foraging.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
Finding a large enough cage for my red belly without sacrificing too much space and money. Found that for her size, the HQ flight cage is perfect for what we needed! It was very affordable, and she is definitely happier in her penthouse.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
Space, ceiling fan wasted space, and lighting. Lighting is definitely my absolute problem right now in the bird room. I went shopping at IKEA actually and got some lights to string from the ceiling that were really well priced! 3 individual ceiling lights and plastic(washable! ) shades cost me just shy of 30 dollars. Just need to figure out where they will go...

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
My cheapo ceiling protectors. Spent 99 cents per plate, drilled a hole in the middle and voila! ceiling protector.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
No, most new things are brought in with no birds in the room, everyone freaks when large objects come around. Usually when placed on new things the birds will explore, but not by themselves right away. Mommy has to show them how.

13~ Any future renovations planned?
We are moving this summer so when we chose a place we will be sure to find a good bird room first.

A flying room would be nice, but not a high priority.

Ok here are some pictures:

Homemade foraging toy, just SS chain and unwaxed paper cups. filled with treats and toys, this is one of Odin's favorites:

Another forager, small tupperware container on a SS skewer:

A foot toy basket, a bundle of 6 of these containers was 2 dollars at Michaels:

Home made PVC cage topper, cost a little over $20 for all the piping, joints, toy hooks, and vet wrap. Large branch is from a mesquite tree, stimulates chewing for any bird, and was really affordable--aka free:

Home made toy, most parts came from cabirdnerds(ann) and a huge long roll of hemp rope cost 4 dollars. this roll has lasted about 4 months so far:

Loki approves:

Odin modeling our ceiling protectors:

And finally Peanut modeling his home made flyer. This is 2 premade grapevine perches flipped upside down with the proper attachments added to make it safe:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
great job a fantastic setup I would like to know how you aquired the celling protectors they are great thanks for sharing it:hug8:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh my gosh I love the ceiling protector idea!!! Nice pad they've got :D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
WOW, great idea for the ceiling protectors! Really like that :) I have to wait until I get home to actually view the pictures, of course :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Me too, loving the ceiling protectors!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:highfive: Really great ideas!!

Ginger

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What wonderful ideas,and play areas. You have done an amazing job :highfive:

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I love it all, especially the pvc gym and the branch! Great ideas here.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very cool and awesome!:)
Congrats on being first in our setup exhibit Leza!:Congratwav:

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Love it. My fav it the cage top pvc gym. Might have to make one for Bella. He also has the same cage:)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Awesome set up!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congrats!! Very cool ideas! I love the ceiling protector idea!! Nice Job!:highfive:

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Everything was awesome. You obviously are gifted with creativity! Amazing! Love the ceiling protector. Loved everything!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
How awesome! :highfive: What a great job! :D

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
OMG I admit I totally forgot I did this.... thank you guys for all the compliments! The ceiling protectors are just a hard plastic plate, you can get those at Target, Walmart, 99 cent store etc... These particular ones came from a Safeway grocery store. Only 99 cents each! I just drilled a hole in the middle and secured it with some wire.. I will try to post pictures and a how to.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
That is a fantastic idea for ceiling protectors, it looks like your guys have it made!

Status
Not open for further replies.