• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Manzanita too slick

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I was fortunate to be given a used manzanita tree stand. I scrubbed it with bleach water, and then oiled it with coconut oil and dried it in the sun. The problem is that I scrubbed it so clean that it is now too smooth and lacks grip. What can I do to make it more grippable? Sisal string? Scruff it up with a razor? I’d like a modification that keeps it looking natural (no vet tape). I appreciate your thoughts. 9A65D948-43A9-4A9C-8D37-510BD4792B2C.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would go at it with a wire brush and see how that goes! You could also use a Dremel to sort of carve in some grooves. Otherwise yeah, sisal or similar :)

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I had one that was too slippery. My ex took a big metal file to it and that did a really good job.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard of folks using sandpaper as well to scuff it up and give better grip.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I have a few branches on the outside of the cage that I keep like this just so they remember how to grip different textures LOL-- but for the inside cage, I've used my whittling tools to score some grooves. My only issue with scuffing is that it is harder to clean poops out of.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Manilla rope would look beautiful on it I think if other option don’t work. May I ask why you oiled it? Never heard of that before, will it preserve the wood or make it more easily cleanable?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Manilla rope would look beautiful on it I think if other option don’t work. May I ask why you oiled it? Never heard of that before, will it preserve the wood or make it more easily cleanable?
Thanks for that suggestion! I oiled it because it was in really bad shape when I received it used. After I disinfected and scrubbed it, it looked dull and grayish so I oiled it to protect the wood and bring back the natural beauty of the thin layer of bark. I’ve started wrapping sisal rope around it and that is helping.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Cool! Didn’t know that, thanks for sharing. Glad the sisal is helping, hope they enjoy hanging out on the stand. It’s especially beautiful wood. I have some stands with bark still so they can debark it but after that will sand and try the oil idea.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Electric sander will sort that in no time

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I personally think sanders will give a smooth result and you need the furrows or gouges like a file will give you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally think sanders will give a smooth result and you need the furrows or gouges like a file will give you.
Depends on the grit. If you use a coarse grit it will rough it up :)

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not if you are not to heavy on the sander and you use the right pad

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I was fortunate to be given a used manzanita tree stand. I scrubbed it with bleach water, and then oiled it with coconut oil and dried it in the sun. The problem is that I scrubbed it so clean that it is now too smooth and lacks grip. What can I do to make it more grippable? Sisal string? Scruff it up with a razor? I’d like a modification that keeps it looking natural (no vet tape). I appreciate your thoughts. View attachment 428780
I love that you made it look this good and you have done such a good job it’s super smooth hehe :rolleyes:
I would one perch like that n my hubby sandpapered it down n it gave it more grip