• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male x Male

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Good day you all,

Well I thought this will never happen to me but it actually did.

Have a bond pair of Male. I bought a “female” Lutino from a Breeder and since November 2022 she is with a male, however, I noticed they where trying the climb each others and both having fun with anything you put inside the cage even a broccoli.. so I decide to do the test and I got the result today Lutino = Male.

So how I can separated them now ?

What would be the best way to do it ?

Thanks. @Zara @expressmailtome

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You don’t NEED to separate the two males. They will probably be quite happy together. You just won’t get any eggs.

Did you want eggs?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Don't separate them if they are bonded. Lovebirds are well known for needing companionship, more than most other pet birds. They will be very depressed if you separate them!

SKC4

Strolling the yard
You don’t NEED to separate the two males. They will probably be quite happy together. You just won’t get any eggs.

Did you want eggs?
Hi, yes I intended to have eggs.. the only problem I see is that both are all day in a mating state… both feeding each other and climb each other doing the typical noise calling the males do. Any toy or vegetable that goes in they will both do their thing.
@haze @WillowQ

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, it’s spring and that’s part of the issue.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Males can be just as pair bonded as a male and female pair. If you are intent on separating them please be aware that a very bonded pair that is separated can develop issues if they are left alone such as plucking and self-mutilation, and if they are put with other birds, they can react violently to their new mate. Please be very careful with this.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t recommend separating them. It seems unnecessary & cruel. My budgies are all boys & I don’t separate friends.

SKC4

Strolling the yard
Males can be just as pair bonded as a male and female pair. If you are intent on separating them please be aware that a very bonded pair that is separated can develop issues if they are left alone such as plucking and self-mutilation, and if they are put with other birds, they can react violently to their new mate. Please be very careful with this.
Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe is best just to let them together. @Sparkles99 @expressmailtome

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is best to leave them together. I think many people underestimate how violent lovebirds can be, and also how sensitive and easily upset.

If you are head set on eggs, then you should bring home another pair but test before buying, and shop from reputable aviaries (not pet shops).

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I originally picked up a pair as babies with the intent of having them bonded, friends, with the option to have babies. So..not wanting or being able to accommodate that for at least a few years but hoping that in their lifespan, they would. Turns out, one of them is a hybrid and sterile. There was a few moments of disappointment…but then I was like, I’m just lucky that these two genuinely like each other, even if they bicker. And I’m glad they have each other when we aren’t around. And they love flying together. Their bond is beautiful.
I think many people underestimate how violent lovebirds can be, and also how sensitive and easily upset.
Zara, this is so true and well said, they really can be so reactive. You were the first one to say, Wally looks like a hybrid, when he was just a baby. I was so thankful for that info, didn’t change how I felt about him but I’m a “like to know” type person haha

CodaCola

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Coda
Hi, yes I intended to have eggs.. the only problem I see is that both are all day in a mating state… both feeding each other and climb each other doing the typical noise calling the males do. Any toy or vegetable that goes in they will both do their thing.
@haze @WillowQ
Homosexuality isn't unheard of in birds, especially ones that mate bond. They'll probably live their happy little lives together! Unfortunately no eggs tho.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have the weirdest pair bondings in my flock. Three of my lovebirds paired off and my tiel and IRN have an ongoing whistle romance. My sparrows bonded with my remaining parakeet, and my starling breaks up nests. My remaining lovebirds have a thing for a green ball that hangs in the corner of my flight cage. So, it's really best to let nature take its course unless you want to try adding two more birds (DNA confirmed females) to your flock. Do you want to breed? That's the question you need to answer. Most pairs are fine, but male female can lead into babies. Ergo my four extra lovebirds.